Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see your reasoning....but I look at my 5'3" 105 lb wife and think....If a 200+ lb street thug attacked her....would she still be able to pull off grappling techniques as he is punching her full power? How effective is she going to be trying to out wrestle that guy?

For the most part, the most important thing in self defense is.......prevention! Also, having access to a weapon IMHO is a big advantage.

I think this makes for a good reason to diversify the training. If her art of choice focuses on grappling - that's fantastic. I know I wish I were a better grappler, working on it. But it also wouldn't hurt to learn some blending and blocking, choke defenses, what I like to call "gross out" defenses - like poking in the eyes and biting (somehow, mysteriously, nothing discourages an attacker quite so well as the sight of his own blood on your teeth), and yes... of COURSE... prevention. Where is the exit? What is in the room that can be used as a weapon? Is the area well lit? What are the surroundings? The sounds? All that stuff.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
what i have learned so far,
Billy lost his stamp collection to a straw giant who couldnt swim.
Rain man can count a box of falling match sticks but seems to not have any reading comprehension.
obsessive people like the color blue and martial arts but rugby is taught in BJJ classes.
and all hell breaks loose when someone asks about women taking self defense classes

i got this all figured out:facepalm:
You got it! :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I can’t understand is why @jobo is obsessed with how I plan to raise my kids.

You’re not going to change Raymond Babbit’s mind, @gpseymour In his mind, making sure my daughters are capable of defending themselves is child abuse.

You know you have my support. I don't need any proof there are some jerks out there only too happy to attack a woman or a little girl - been there, done that, got a t-shirt, got all the proof I need. Your daughters are going to grow up amazing, tough, intelligent women, ready to tip the scale in favor of "the weaker sex", if needed.

P.S. I also wish my dad trained my mom. She was a tiny little woman - an easy target for any jerk. At one point, as a kid, I asked her why the wedding ring she was wearing was not the one that showed up in the wedding pictures. She told me she was beaten and robbed on her way home from work, shortly after she and dad got married. Her original wedding ring was taken away. Dad had another one made for her - as a gift for when she recovered from the beating and allowed to return home from the hospital. I suppose had my dad insisted on training my mom, our friends here would call it spousal abuse.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the poster said Ge would remove her phone and or other goods, there is no point removing something that is NOT cherished, that isn't a punishment.

I'm going to confiscate your skateboard you don't use u till you learn to fight, yea what ever

hw clearly isn't going to stop with the phone, he will keep going till he breaks her will
THAT’S RIGHT!!!! IF THAT DOESN’T WORK, THEY’LL HAVE TO FIGHT ME EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!

You’re truly an awe inspiring idiot.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
THAT’S RIGHT!!!! IF THAT DOESN’T WORK, THEY’LL HAVE TO FIGHT ME EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!

You’re truly an awe inspiring idiot.
there no point getting all shouty with me, save that for your daughters

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you say so.
I love how he twists things. You’ve got to give it to him, it’s a truly special skill set. He should consider litigating. His opposition would just throw their hands in the air and say “whatever.” He’d win a ton of cases by making the opposition give up solely because they’re not getting paid enough to sit through that.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like college, martial arts can be a family tradition and expected. If from very young childhood you talk about (college, martial arts ...) as if it is expected, then there is a very good chance that they will go and that they will do well. Examples, here is your college fund. The money here will help pay your college tuition when you go to college...said once a month when the mutual fund reports are published as the child grows up. Here is the martial arts school that you will be going to when you reach (?) years old. Shall we go watch a class again on your birthday?
Treat it as something that is done in your house, not a big deal. In this house we ....
We are the (last name) and we value education and effort. Said often, when they do well and when they do not.
Regards
Brian King

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
there no point getting all shouty with me, save that for your daughters
You know... you are so eager to defend his daughters where they don't need defending, you forget not to bully people trying to have a discussion. Nobody is forcing you to bring up your kids/nieces/nephews/other younger family members, etc. in any particular way.

The man is trying to teach his girls a useful skill. We KNOW it's a useful skill - because we are all smart people here and have read bullying, sexual assault, and rape statistics. We KNOW it will not go to waste. There is plenty of proof.

Like any good instructor/mentor/coach establishes a system of responsibility and reward as part of the learning process. It's no different than school, or craft, or sport, or job - so WHAT precisely is your problem other than blowing this out of proportion and dubbing a good man a child abuser? Not only is this ridiculous - it is not at all worthy of a martial artist.

sheACTION!

White Belt
Reaction score
Yesss!!! Women self defense is something that all women should be looking into!! I teach self defense videos on you tube I take real life scenarios and make them for women. check them out:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know... you are so eager to defend his daughters where they don't need defending, you forget not to bully people trying to have a discussion. Nobody is forcing you to bring up your kids/nieces/nephews/other younger family members, etc. in any particular way.

The man is trying to teach his girls a useful skill. We KNOW it's a useful skill - because we are all smart people here and have read bullying, sexual assault, and rape statistics. We KNOW it will not go to waste. There is plenty of proof.

Like any good instructor/mentor/coach establishes a system of responsibility and reward as part of the learning process. It's no different than school, or craft, or sport, or job - so WHAT precisely is your problem other than blowing this out of proportion and dubbing a good man a child abuser? Not only is this ridiculous - it is not at all worthy of a martial artist.
You don’t know Jobo very well, do you? This is just him being himself. I greatly appreciate the support and agree with you 100% here. But Jobo’s Jobo. He won’t change. His views on, well pretty much everything, are pretty funny, in a tragic and warped sense of humor way. Don’t take him seriously. It’ll save you a lot of completely wasted energy. My going back and forth with him is for my amusement only. If he truly bothered me, I’d ignore his nonsense.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don’t know Jobo very well, do you? This is just him being himself. I greatly appreciate the support and agree with you 100% here. But Jobo’s Jobo. He won’t change. His views on, well pretty much everything, are pretty funny, in a tragic and warped sense of humor way. Don’t take him seriously. It’ll save you a lot of completely wasted energy. My going back and forth with him is for my amusement only. If he truly bothered me, I’d ignore his nonsense.
Yeah, @gpseymour explained it to me... I was just... you know... being me. A bullying survivor with a superhero complex the size of Texas. Trying to swoop in on my white horse and defend... everyone. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesss!!! Women self defense is something that all women should be looking into!! I teach self defense videos on you tube I take real life scenarios and make them for women. check them out:

#1 thing should always be prevention.

In your video, there is no reason to get out of the car. Contact law enforcement and wait for them to respond. You can exchange info once LEO is there.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My daughters are almost 5 and 7 years old. Right around when they become teenagers, they’re going to take a grappling art, and they’re not going to have a choice. I’ve been telling my wife she should go, but you know how much wives listen to their husband. My daughters will attend that too.

Am I paranoid? Maybe a little bit. But I have a couple female friends who should’ve been a bit paranoid.

This response was not directed at you, JR137. Your mention of your young daughters reminded me of this. I wish you and them, safety and happiness.

Attend to this reality:
Maggie Nichols, Rachel Denhollander, McKayla Maroney, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Maggie Nichols, MorganMcCaul, Alexis Alvarado, Jessica Smith, Christine Harr, Larissa Boyce and more than 100 additional women have added their names to accusations that Dr. Larry Nassar sexually molested and abused them, for years. He has pled guilty to federal charges and another sentencing hearing begins tomorrow. Many of the women were molested as young teenagers, as young as 12 and 13.
For some, the abuse continued for years.

Now another well known name has been added:
Simone Biles, Olympic Gold medalist

On eve of doctor's sentencing, gymnast Simone Biles says she was abused

Once again, not a stranger.
Not a 'street thug'. Not 'in the street'.
Not a stranger. Not a choke. Not grabbed and dragged.
Repeated for years.

Take a look at the photo of Larry Nassar.

Among his victims were and are smart, tough, committed, strong, fit, Olympic athletes, medal winners, veterans of years of the toughest training and competition at levels we can barely imagine.
Never quitting, no matter the demands. Not 'weaklings, not 'snowflakes', not whiners' as so many accuse survivors.

Now, reconcile this reality with your notions about sexual assault and abuse. Before replying, think about the weapons Larry Nassar used.
Are those 'weapons' addressed in your classes? How, exactly?
What are your 'drills', 'techniques' 'blocks'?

Think about your reliance on your ideas about defending the self. Then think about the reality of the last 6 months as women have come forward about abuse. Larry Nassar's targets date back a long time and some reported him years ago. They were ignored, ridiculed, hushed up, intimidated. He was protected and defended.
He doesn't 'fit the description'.

What constitutes your ideas about what women and girls need to know and be able to do, to protect themselves from Larry Nassar?

if you 'teach' women's SD, what's in your curriculum?
What is that based on? What do you actually know about the most frequent assaults/abuse women and girls actually face?

I'm frequently depressed by the direction and content of these threads on SD for women, so I do not post often.

But this disclosure by Ms. Biles and the sentencing coming for Dr. Nassar was on my mind.

Some of these brave girls will stand up in public and speak truth to Dr. Nassar, who acted with impunity for years. They didn't believe this day would ever come. But because of their relentless commitment and the patient work of others, it has now arrived. He will likely die in prison.

Are you wiling to learn _anything_ from their ordeal? And change your thinking, teaching and comprehension of abuse and assault?

w/respect A

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This response was not directed at you, JR137. Your mention of your young daughters reminded me of this. I wish you and them, safety and happiness.

Attend to this reality:
Maggie Nichols, Rachel Denhollander, McKayla Maroney, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Maggie Nichols, MorganMcCaul, Alexis Alvarado, Jessica Smith, Christine Harr, Larissa Boyce and more than 100 additional women have added their names to accusations that Dr. Larry Nassar sexually molested and abused them, for years. He has pled guilty to federal charges and another sentencing hearing begins tomorrow. Many of the women were molested as young teenagers, as young as 12 and 13.
For some, the abuse continued for years.

Now another well known name has been added:
Simone Biles, Olympic Gold medalist

On eve of doctor's sentencing, gymnast Simone Biles says she was abused

Once again, not a stranger.
Not a 'street thug'. Not 'in the street'.
Not a stranger. Not a choke. Not grabbed and dragged.
Repeated for years.

Take a look at the photo of Larry Nassar.

Among his victims were and are smart, tough, committed, strong, fit, Olympic athletes, medal winners, veterans of years of the toughest training and competition at levels we can barely imagine.
Never quitting, no matter the demands. Not 'weaklings, not 'snowflakes', not whiners' as so many accuse survivors.

Now, reconcile this reality with your notions about sexual assault and abuse. Before replying, think about the weapons Larry Nassar used.
Are those 'weapons' addressed in your classes? How, exactly?
What are your 'drills', 'techniques' 'blocks'?

Think about your reliance on your ideas about defending the self. Then think about the reality of the last 6 months as women have come forward about abuse. Larry Nassar's targets date back a long time and some reported him years ago. They were ignored, ridiculed, hushed up, intimidated. He was protected and defended.
He doesn't 'fit the description'.

What constitutes your ideas about what women and girls need to know and be able to do, to protect themselves from Larry Nassar?

if you 'teach' women's SD, what's in your curriculum?
What is that based on? What do you actually know about the most frequent assaults/abuse women and girls actually face?

I'm frequently depressed by the direction and content of these threads on SD for women, so I do not post often.

But this disclosure by Ms. Biles and the sentencing coming for Dr. Nassar was on my mind.

Some of these brave girls will stand up in public and speak truth to Dr. Nassar, who acted with impunity for years. They didn't believe this day would ever come. But because of their relentless commitment and the patient work of others, it has now arrived. He will likely die in prison.

Are you wiling to learn _anything_ from their ordeal? And change your thinking, teaching and comprehension of abuse and assault?

w/respect A
This reach s into topics I am not equipped to help with directly - and I don’t know any instructor who is equipped for that. The brief research I’ve done didn’t show up anything that looked promising on the victim’s side for preventing this - certainly nothing that would come from a martial arts or self-defense program. Building confidence, self-esteem, community seem to be all we (and anyone?) can do from that side. If there is something more we could do, I’m interested in learning about it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

well apart from some of the tongue in cheek stuff, there is a valid point of when and to what extent a parent should over rule the wishes of a child, or in the instant case a young woman.

the point at issue wasn't if ma is a good and valid pass time, rather should a child who doesn't want to learn ma be forced to do so by progressively removing her positions u till she complies.

my felling are that is both wrong and counter productive, certainly offer incentives if she buys into it. BUT if she really doesn't want to do that, its normally wrong to force them just because you feel its for there own good.

that aside i suspect reality will be much different and he is yet to experience how determined a 13 yo girl can be and he will be much more concerned with the number of unsuitable boy friends there are calling the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions