Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have some serious comprehension issues. You really should stop putting putting words into people’s mouths. Or stop putting your stupid spin on things.

If they refuse to go when it comes time to go, they’ll have the same consequences as when they refuse to do other important things I require them to do, such as homework, chores, etc.

If they don’t have any consequences for their actions, then they end up ruling the house.

For the record, they won’t be punished for not being proficient. They will lose privileges for not going. I know you won’t see the difference, but anyone with an ounce of comprehension will.
if they don't become proficient then you will make them go for ever? . f they are not proficient you punish them by making them go, if they won't go you punish them anyway.

seem more stick and stick than carrot and stick

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if they don't become proficient then you will make them go for ever? . f they are not proficient you punish them by making them go, if they won't go you punish them anyway.

seem more stick and stick than carrot and stick
In your own demented world.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really, he says his young daughters MUST become proficient in ma and he will punish them if they refuse. Calling it obsessive is the least inflammable thing you could call it
And if he was talking about swimming, because they lived near a lake? You might want to look up the definition of "obsession".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if he was talking about swimming, because they lived near a lake? You might want to look up the definition of "obsession".
its not really a valid comparison with what is suggested, most kids can learn to swim in an hour or three, IF you defintion of swimming is you can doggy paddle your way out if you fall in a lake, in fact most kids, certainly older kids could do that with out a lesson.

his idea is they must reach blue belt at bjj or equivalent at whatever. That like saying that your swimmer must reach bronze medal standard in order to walk near a lake, that too would be obsessive

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not really a valid comparison with what is suggested, most kids can learn to swim in an hour or three, IF you defintion of swimming is you can doggy paddle your way out if you fall in a lake, in fact most kids, certainly older kids could do that with out a lesson.

his idea is they must reach blue belt at bjj or equivalent at whatever. That like saying that your swimmer must reach bronze medal standard in order to walk near a lake, that too would be obsessive
The standard my dad had for swimming (and I've heard similar from other parents) wasn't being able to doggy-paddle a few feet in case you fell in near the shore/dock. It was being able to swim halfway across a small lake (near our house), so I'd be able to swim to shore from anywhere in there if I tipped a boat over, etc. That took a while to learn - probably not as long as getting to the grappling proficiency discussed in this thread, but a few weeks.

But it is still a fair comparison. The time commitment is different, but not really different from going to school to learn the basics of science, math, etc. A lot of kids hate that, and wouldn't go if they weren't made to. So they are made to, and they go. And we wouldn't fairly call that an obsession - it's parenting. You might disagree with his choice, but "obsession" is not an appropriate term, and you are using it deliberately to create an argument out of a discussion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The standard my dad had for swimming (and I've heard similar from other parents) wasn't being able to doggy-paddle a few feet in case you fell in near the shore/dock. It was being able to swim halfway across a small lake (near our house), so I'd be able to swim to shore from anywhere in there if I tipped a boat over, etc. That took a while to learn - probably not as long as getting to the grappling proficiency discussed in this thread, but a few weeks.

But it is still a fair comparison. The time commitment is different, but not really different from going to school to learn the basics of science, math, etc. A lot of kids hate that, and wouldn't go if they weren't made to. So they are made to, and they go. And we wouldn't fairly call that an obsession - it's parenting. You might disagree with his choice, but "obsession" is not an appropriate term, and you are using it deliberately to create an argument out of a discussion.
you keep jumping all over with your analogy, one minete its like science, then it's swimming and its not really like either.

you point WAS living near a lake, not its changed to boating out to the middle of a lake. Certainly that needs swimming, but saying you can't boat unless you learn to swim, is not the same,as saying you need to reach blue belt in order to leave the house, ones a ,sensible thing. The Other is obsessive

the number of parents that make their kids go to school is quite high, the number that insist they are proficient ma is quite low. I suspect there is a reason for that, based on the majority not being by defintion, obsessive

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you keep jumping all over with your analogy, one minete its like science, then it's swimming and its not really like either.
Two different analogies started by two different people. I can follow both, and so can you.

you point WAS living near a lake, not its changed to boating out to the middle of a lake. Certainly that needs swimming, but saying you can't boat unless you learn to swim, is not the same,as saying you need to reach blue belt in order to leave the house, ones a ,sensible thing. The Other is obsessive
Not a different thing. Most people who live near a lake spend time ON that lake (not just standing on the shore). And your statement about "reach blue belt to leave the house" is an absolute strawman. And you know it is, that's why you used it.

the number of parents that make their kids go to school is quite high, the number that insist they are proficient ma is quite low. I suspect there is a reason for that, based on the majority not being by defintion, obsessive
So, if a few people do it, it's a disorder. If a lot do it, it's sensible? Interesting argument.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two different analogies started by two different people. I can follow both, and so can you.

Not a different thing. Most people who live near a lake spend time ON that lake (not just standing on the shore). And your statement about "reach blue belt to leave the house" is an absolute strawman. And you know it is, that's why you used it.

So, if a few people do it, it's a disorder. If a lot do it, it's sensible? Interesting argument.
that's where its going, he will only feel she is,safe to be out when she is,a blue belt, in order that he feels better he will make her become a blue belt by punishing her.

let's take the personalities out of it

billy is a sensitive child, he likes stamp collecting and bird watching and art, billies dad decides he has to learn self defence and takes him to boxing, billy hates hit, he doesn't like fighting, he doesn't like being punched and he doesn't like hurting people, he just wants to draw and look at his stamps.

billy tells his dad he doesn't want to go and his dad punishes him by taking his drawing stuff off him, he,still doesn't want to go so he takes his stamp collection of him and so on.

billy becomes very depressed and with drawn and think his life isn't worth living.

that sounds like an abusive parent to me, what do you think?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I can’t understand is why @jobo is obsessed with how I plan to raise my kids.

You’re not going to change Raymond Babbit’s mind, @gpseymour In his mind, making sure my daughters are capable of defending themselves is child abuse.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strawman.png

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's where its going, he will only feel she is,safe to be out when she is,a blue belt, in order that he feels better he will make her become a blue belt by punishing her.

billy is a sensitive child, he likes stamp collecting and bird watching and art, billies dad decides he has to learn self defence and takes him to boxing, billy hates hit, he doesn't like fighting, he doesn't like being punched and he doesn't like hurting people, he just wants to draw and look at his stamps.

billy tells his dad he doesn't want to go and his dad punishes him by taking his drawing stuff off him, he,still doesn't want to go so he takes his stamp collection of him and so on.

billy becomes very depressed and with drawn and think his life isn't worth living.

Where do you come up with this crap? It gets more comedic by the post.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I can’t understand is why @jobo is obsessed with how I plan to raise my kids.

You’re not going to change Raymond Babbit’s mind, @gpseymour In his mind, making sure my daughters are capable of defending themselves is child abuse.
if you didn't want your parenting skills discussed you shouldn't have entered them into a discussion

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only when you create a strawman. Which you did, again.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only when you create a strawman. Which you did, again.
its not a strawman, its exactly the same situation of a kid being forced to learn ma against their will or face the confiscation of goods, only billy lost his stamp collection he sais he would remove their phone and or similar.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
what i have learned so far,
Billy lost his stamp collection to a straw giant who couldnt swim.
Rain man can count a box of falling match sticks but seems to not have any reading comprehension.
obsessive people like the color blue and martial arts but rugby is taught in BJJ classes.
and all hell breaks loose when someone asks about women taking self defense classes

i got this all figured out:facepalm:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not a strawman, its exactly the same situation of a kid being forced to learn ma against their will or face the confiscation of goods, only billy lost his stamp collection he sais he would remove their phone and or similar.
Except that you've decided what the punishment should be (removal of a cherished hobby and - per a prior post of yours - restriction of all movement), rather than quoting anything the poster said. You've created an argument to argue against - that's the definition of a strawman. Losing access to a cell phone is not nearly the same thing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that you've decided what the punishment should be (removal of a cherished hobby and - per a prior post of yours - restriction of all movement), rather than quoting anything the poster said. You've created an argument to argue against - that's the definition of a strawman. Losing access to a cell phone is not nearly the same thing.
the poster said Ge would remove her phone and or other goods, there is no point removing something that is NOT cherished, that isn't a punishment.

I'm going to confiscate your skateboard you don't use u till you learn to fight, yea what ever

hw clearly isn't going to stop with the phone, he will keep going till he breaks her will

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughters are almost 5 and 7 years old. Right around when they become teenagers, they’re going to take a grappling art, and they’re not going to have a choice. The only choice will be where - the local Judo, BJJ or wrestling club. They’re going to learn to sufficiently defend themselves from being grabbed and dragged, and defend from being put on their back. The other physical stuff is just icing on the cake IMO. I could easily teach them wrestling, as I have a good amount of competition and coaching experience, but they’re not going to take it as seriously as they would from someone else. And I’d prefer the Judo and BJJ chokes and submissions to be honest.

I’d love it if they liked it and stuck with it for a long time. But basically, they’ll have to stay until they’re proficient.

My mother took a women’s self defense seminar run by a local police department a few years ago. She said it was very heavy on situational awareness and statistics. I’ve been telling my wife she should go, but you know how much wives listen to their husband. My daughters will attend that too.

Am I paranoid? Maybe a little bit. But I have a couple female friends who should’ve been a bit paranoid.

I don't think you are paranoid at all. I wish my dad was that insistent and had me trained (or trained me himself - he was a former army and KGB man, had a really solid background in sambo).

Unfortunately, he believed I would get all the defense I needed if only I met the right guy who could effectively defend me. That didn't work out so hot. I was one of the least popular girls in my class. I actually didn't date until I came to the States at the age of 19. AND... the last but not the least - I was first attacked when I was 10, walking to school in January (still dark outside). Fortunately, my assailant was drunk, it was slippery, and I was able to escape unscathed. I adore my dad, but I do wish he wasn't so conservative about these things and just faced reality - the best defense is SELF-defense, because there is no Prince Charming to come and save anyone.

He sort of grudgingly approved when I started training (at the age of 28), but still bemoaned my loss of femininity. Whatever... It's a wrong time to be a lady when some drunk jerk tries to grab you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions