Women Self Defence!

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by kravmaga1, Jan 12, 2018.

1. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Master of Arts

i never heard of that, not to say it cant be true. i just heard it was a "thing" for the college guys to go to the web sight and rate their college female peers.

and BTW i have no idea what movie or book or what ever your debating. i just find it interesting how things get under people skins.

2. hoshin1600

if that be the case in the UK, im glad i dont live there, sounds like a very boring place.

3. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Not really. He said nothing anti-semitic, nor even anything particularly negative in that comment.

4. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    I didn't say it was. I said the FB 'explanation' is an anti Semitic 'reason' for inventing FB. Mark Zuckerberg Created Facebook to Get Non-Jewish Girls | HuffPost

Zuckenberg was dating a girl at Harvard, something the film didn't mention, they later married.

5. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    It's called being civilised.

6. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

This is also why men should avoid female instructors.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

8. hoshin1600

What is snog?

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Having a snog is just kissing and cuddling, tongues optional.

The programme DB posted up is a very strange one, where you just sit with your mouth open going 'WTF'.

10. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Interesting conclusion. I tend to be quite conservative. I realize Tez3 is more liberal than I am. That is her right. More than that, reading her posts and conversing with her on them tends to give me an interesting perspective on things, Agree with her or not. She has never been impolite with me. Of course, I try not to give her any reason to be.

For anyone new to MT who might read this, do be assured Tez3 is not timid. She can be as opinionated as anyone else, and will defend herself. She will normally do it politely unless she feels personally attacked. Then don your flame suit and stand back. :)

The above is my opinion. Anyone may agree or disagree, as many often do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    A very good course of study if you want to understand violence against women. It's a serious academic course from the University of Strathclyde, a very good reputable Scottish seat of learning. Understanding should hopefully lead to interested instructors formulate their teaching strategies for women's self defence classes.

Understanding Violence Against Women - Online Course

12. hoshin1600

assuming you know the content, can you give some teasers and take aways from this?

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

'Teasers'? It's a university (not college) course not a fictional television series.

"What topics will you cover?
    • Key concepts – Gender, Power and Violence
    • Defining and explaining Violence Against Women
    • Impact of Violence Against Women from a range of perspectives
    • Media and Cultural representations of Violence Against Women
    • Public and Professional responses to Violence Against Women
    • Preventing Violence Against Women – national and international approaches"

14. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Is there nobody already developing those strategies?

15. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    From that synopsis, it sounds like a sociological approach (since it discusses societal prevention). How does it inform the individual looking to teach prevention and defense to individuals?

16. hoshin1600

exactly.

17. hoshin1600

no offense but this college course sounds like a typical US and Canada women's studies course in the humanities. based on post modernism and Marxist thought. standard class warfare and the oppressed rhetoric.
    so that is why i asked for some take away's that are relevant to actual self defense.

which leads me to a relevant concept, that us men who are interested in providing self defense instruction and are wanting to learn more about actually helping get turned off when there is a narrative that men are evil and the reason for oppression. it causes a back lash of negative emotion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. aedrasteia

aedrasteia Purple Belt

sorry to be slow on replies - overwhelmed @work.
    this (below) was a thread on MT previously:
    maybe a Mod or other can link to that thread? thanks

Efficacy of a Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1411131

There are many more all over the country.

All are comprehensive - not limited to strike, punch, kick and other techniques.
    Because techniques are not remotely enough.
    If other vital elements are absent, this instruction approach is almost worthless for the majority of girls and women because the most common form of assault/harassment is not a stranger-danger jump and grab.

Also - highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Trauma-Aware-Self-Defense-Instruction-instructors-self-defense-ebook/dp

Trauma-Aware Self-Defense Instruction: How instructors can help maximize the benefits and minimize the risks of self-defense training for survivors of violence and trauma. Kindle Edition
    by Anna Valdiserri

The NWMAF- National Women's Martial Arts Federation has a SDforWomen certification for instructors

National Women's Martial Arts Federation - Instructor Certifications

Lynn Marie Wannamaker : the self defense paradox:

"One facet of this paradox is the fact that one person — the perpetrator — holds sole responsibility for the decision to assault someone.
    The other is the fact that people at risk of violence can take effective steps to increase their own safety. Our programs are trauma-sensitive, attentive to the presence of survivors in any gathered community.

"Other hallmarks of empowerment-based self-defense training include:

• Evidence-based information about who commits violent and sexual assaults and who they attempt to victimize.

• Education about healthy relationships, including consent negotiation skills and early warning signs of interpersonal violence.

• Examination of how culture and socialization may disadvantage women from being able to trust or act upon their instincts regarding interpersonal safety.

Opportunities to practice assertive communication that can be used to interrupt or de-escalate violent situations.

• Physical fighting techniques that are simple to learn and effective when other options have been exhausted.

• Healing and community organizing resources to recover from violence and increase safety for all people.

No tips and ideas are enough. Doing whats needed by actual women/girls in daily life requires re-wiring our/your thinking about women/girls and sexual assault and self protection.

I was hoping the Larry Nassar story could begin to do that. more later,
    w/respect A

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Thanks a TON! That's a lot of what appears to be really useful info. :)

20. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I agree. Tips and ideas are where the change starts. Part of that is what doesn't work. Part of that is what's actually working somewhere. And, of course, instructors have a lot of work to do (with themselves AND with their curriculum) to incorporate meaningful change if they want to serve this role (teaching SD specifically designed/intended for women).

I do still believe there are two views on this, and I'm okay with either - so long as neither side claims moral high ground over the other. One is that self-protection programs should include avoidance and information about how to deal with approaches other than a physical attack. The other is what I refer to as the "purse self-defense" that intends to deal with how to defend against a physical attack, and rarely strays from that. The latter is fine, so long as it doesn't claim to be more than it is. But if that's the case, it's probably not something that is well-suited to putting forth as a program specifically for women. I've taught self-defense to women, but only altering it as I would for anyone: accounting for physical advantages and limitations. What I'd like to do is educate myself enough (starting with information like this) to determine if I'm able to do more than that.

• Like Like x 1