Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
That second is mostly what I was talking about (thought the first applies, as well). If you have paradigms set up, your brain only has to compare the situation to the paradigms and choose the best fit, rather than running all the variables. It's the basic premise of training when to shoot/not shoot, and the like.
To rein that in a bit, I would say that what your talking about is the the same "line in the sand" that Wab25 was talking about. But the way I see it is that it only works in a violent self evident confrontation. This is the point Tez and -A- keep trying to point out. That the common MO for a sexual predator is not self evident. He uses deception. This also applies to other criminals as well but most common in sexual crime. This MO is a major monkey wrench in the MMA type mentality. The assailant doest want to fight , he wants a victim. So he will use deception to make you a victim in a way that will fly under the radar so you internal warning alarms will not go off until it is too late. This goes back to my old posts about cognitive dissonance. The mind will be telling it's self, this can't be happening, I must be imagining things.

OP
kravmaga1

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you mean the combative skills to defend (what I refer to as "self-defense" - others include all areas of self-protection in that term), then there's not dramatically more need to learn it than there has been in the past. And the physical defenses women should learn aren't dramatically different from those a man should learn, though the emphasis might be if one is tailoring a program to women.

As others can point out more cogently, there's a good deal beyond self-defense (the combat techniques) that can provide a lot of benefit for women in avoiding assault. Some of that can be gained through MA training (increased confidence, a supportive community, etc.), and some of it likely will not, as most MA programs don't have the knowledge to teach about avoiding domestic violence and similar topics.

I agree with your view. But can you tell what self defence tricks will be more useful to learn for women?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That latter part is a different topic. That gets back to muscle memory and unconscious-incompetence (in that case, taken to near-automation). Making decisions in advance means your decision-making apparatus doesn't need to interfere with that loop.
do you converse by text at home?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with your view. But can you tell what self defence tricks will be more useful to learn for women?
tricks is the wrong word, ma in general is about efficiency of movement and gaining a mechanical advantage through the,correct movement.

for instance some one who uses correct kinetic handling techneque can appear far,stronger than someone with bigger muscles and more brute strengh who doesn't and that is what in essance is ma training is all about.

there is however a strong phycolological aspect in self defence that isn't necessarily there in ring work.

particularly the element of surprise, that's you being surprised and failing to react and even very experienced people can be effected AND taking your attacker by surprise, apart from a few phycos attacker only attack people then think they can easily defeat, ether through their physical attributes or by numbers. What they seldom expect especial from a woman is a to meet a,sustained and vicious attack from their " victim" in return, and this can bring on their flight or freeze reaction.

use what you have, elbows knees finger nails, teeth car keys..

have you ever tried wrestling an angry cat?

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Moods are for cattle and love making.

Not for fighting.
That's a bit of an absolute statement. Just because experiencing emotions when fighting doesn't help you, doesn't mean it is also useless to everyone else. Different people draw on different resources in critical situations, including a fight. So, you might draw on lack of emotion, I might draw on rage, and yet another person might draw on something else. Whatever works - as long as we all reach a satisfactory result.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
To rein that in a bit, I would say that what your talking about is the the same "line in the sand" that Wab25 was talking about. But the way I see it is that it only works in a violent self evident confrontation. This is the point Tez and -A- keep trying to point out. That the common MO for a sexual predator is not self evident. He uses deception. This also applies to other criminals as well but most common in sexual crime. This MO is a major monkey wrench in the MMA type mentality. The assailant doest want to fight , he wants a victim. So he will use deception to make you a victim in a way that will fly under the radar so you internal warning alarms will not go off until it is too late. This goes back to my old posts about cognitive dissonance. The mind will be telling it's self, this can't be happening, I must be imagining things.
"The assailant doesn't want to fight, he wants a victim" - that is a great point. I am writing this down. Excellent way to put it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a bit of an absolute statement. Just because experiencing emotions when fighting doesn't help you, doesn't mean it is also useless to everyone else. Different people draw on different resources in critical situations, including a fight. So, you might draw on lack of emotion, I might draw on rage, and yet another person might draw on something else. Whatever works - as long as we all reach a satisfactory result.

Can't rely on having the right emotion at the right time. I do experience different emotions in a fight. I don't approach the fight emotionally.

It is a job. Get it done.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are certain techniques that work better for women, although they could also be used by men, just as effectively. If a guy is short and stocky, he can probably benefit from the same techniques I use regularly, and for the same reasons - disadvantages in reach and leverage in certain situations.

That said, I mentioned earlier somewhere in this discussion, I like using "gross out" and "crazy" means for discouraging my assailant, if we are at the point of engagement. Snarling, biting, going for the eyes, ears, and nose. One of my instructors used to say, "Make him think you are Hannibal Lecter's favorite niece, you just escaped from a maximum security asylum for criminally insane, had a nurse for a morning snack, and this potential assailant is lunch." I like that approach. It works for me because it introduces an element of surprise and disconnect between perceived image and behavior. I am very short, round, and look like a Victorian doll with big googly eyes. So, when someone with my appearance makes a sound like a werewolf, it's a bit of a thought pattern interrupt. Instead of considering attacking me, they suddenly start wondering whether I've had a rabies shot and whether they should get one. :)

True story - this one time in class, in an attack line, I almost toppled a guy by screaming at him. Big guy - one of my favorite people ever, really good martial artist, but, on a very primitive, basic level, a very terrifying presence for someone like me. He's the kind of person who walks through the doorway and you can't see the doorway. Anyway, he came at me with an overhead strike, so he was going forward, with his weight on the balls of his feet. We talked about "psychological warfare" just before that, so I decided to try it and screeched at him. I tried to produce a sound I've read about in a book - it's made by a woman who is trying to distract a wild boar from attacking her friend. In the book, the sound is described as "the witch's scream". It ALMOST worked. THIS close. He teetered on his toes and almost fell face down. But not quite - I still had to get in and use another technique. It was fun though. And very educational.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't rely on having the right emotion at the right time. I do experience different emotions in a fight. I don't approach the fight emotionally.

It is a job. Get it done.
Who says I can't get the job done? We can just agree to disagree on this. You clearly have your own approach. I have mine. Not surprisingly - we are two completely different people.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I draw on the emotion that's always been present whenever I've been forced to fight. I be scared.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I draw on the emotion that's always been present whenever I've been forced to fight. I be scared.
Yup. I be scared. And then I be angry about somebody trying to make me be scared. And then I Hulk. Which is hilarious - just as @gpseymour . Any time I did the attack line, people waiting their turn giggled. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who says I can't get the job done? We can just agree to disagree on this. You clearly have your own approach. I have mine. Not surprisingly - we are two completely different people.

Depends. Trying to create an emotion at the right time is like trying to hold water in your hands.

Mabye if you could choose the time and place then you can work a correct emotional state. (whatever that might be for you) But if it chooses you on a bad day, getting the job done becomes a lot more uncertain.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. I be scared. And then I be angry about somebody trying to make me be scared. And then I Hulk. Which is hilarious - just as @gpseymour . Any time I did the attack line, people waiting their turn giggled. :)

I am kinda disfunctional with emotions. I typically don’t experience them until afterwards and then I’m like holy crap!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends. Trying to create an emotion at the right time is like trying to hold water in your hands.

Mabye if you could choose the time and place then you can work a correct emotional state. (whatever that might be for you) But if it chooses you on a bad day, getting the job done becomes a lot more uncertain.
It's more like getting the job done despite what's going on in your head. And summoning the right vibe WHILE getting the job done to help get it done. Adrenaline helps.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am kinda disfunctional with emotions. I typically don’t experience them until afterwards and then I’m like holy crap!
Hey, have you ever had hysterical laughs afterwards? You know, once the "holy crap" of it all wears off, and you just start laughing and just. can't. stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.