Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Should Women learn self defense more and more nowadays? How it will help in nowadays life? From what thing women should start learning the self defense tricks?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean the combative skills to defend (what I refer to as "self-defense" - others include all areas of self-protection in that term), then there's not dramatically more need to learn it than there has been in the past. And the physical defenses women should learn aren't dramatically different from those a man should learn, though the emphasis might be if one is tailoring a program to women.

As others can point out more cogently, there's a good deal beyond self-defense (the combat techniques) that can provide a lot of benefit for women in avoiding assault. Some of that can be gained through MA training (increased confidence, a supportive community, etc.), and some of it likely will not, as most MA programs don't have the knowledge to teach about avoiding domestic violence and similar topics.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
@kravmaga1
how about going over to the meet and greet page and tell us something about yourself. this would help others and myself when we respond to your posts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Should Women learn self defense more and more nowadays? How it will help in nowadays life? From what thing women should start learning the self defense tricks?
though about his AND there is little difference between male sd and female, when push comes to shove. There are possible differences in he motive for the attack and possibly the MO of being attacked . But its not unknown for males to be sexualy assaulted by other males or for robbery to involve a bag snatch rather than a face to face mugging. It's perhaps less likely that a female will just be randomly kicked about by a group of youths but not at all unlikely.

there arnt any neat tricks that can be learnt quickly, let's say you are going for an eye poke, that needs preparation so that its an automatic reaction, people are prone to freezing, and all so speed and accuracy that takes practise or at least a very cools head so you can lure them into range and can strike with suprise.

female are likely to have a deficit in strengh and size, as for that matter will a lot of males, if that the case you need to prioritize increasing fitness and learning tecneque that that increase you mechanical advantage. And that takes time

you also need to accept that giving hem your bag , wallet or car keys is sometimes by far the best strategy

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
though about his AND there is little difference between male sd and female, when push comes to shove. There are possible differences in he motive for the attack and possibly the MO of being attacked . But its not unknown for males to be sexualy assaulted by other males or for robbery to involve a bag snatch rather than a face to face mugging. It's perhaps less likely that a female will just be randomly kicked about by a group of youths but not at all unlikely.

there arnt any neat tricks that can be learnt quickly, let's say you are going for an eye poke, that needs preparation so that its an automatic reaction, people are prone to freezing, and all so speed and accuracy that takes practise or at least a very cools head so you can lure them into range and can strike with suprise.

female are likely to have a deficit in strengh and size, as for that matter will a lot of males, if that the case you need to prioritize increasing fitness and learning tecneque that that increase you mechanical advantage. And that takes time

you also need to accept that giving hem your bag , wallet or car keys is sometimes by far the best strategy
Hey they can have my wallet no problem. As there's never anything in it lol

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Prevention is the safest, easiest and most effective way.
Very few are going to train a few times weekly just to eventually defeat an eventual agressor. The ones training regularly... often do it because they like the training itself. Should women train? Of course they should, if they enjoy it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughters are almost 5 and 7 years old. Right around when they become teenagers, they’re going to take a grappling art, and they’re not going to have a choice. The only choice will be where - the local Judo, BJJ or wrestling club. They’re going to learn to sufficiently defend themselves from being grabbed and dragged, and defend from being put on their back. The other physical stuff is just icing on the cake IMO. I could easily teach them wrestling, as I have a good amount of competition and coaching experience, but they’re not going to take it as seriously as they would from someone else. And I’d prefer the Judo and BJJ chokes and submissions to be honest.

I’d love it if they liked it and stuck with it for a long time. But basically, they’ll have to stay until they’re proficient.

My mother took a women’s self defense seminar run by a local police department a few years ago. She said it was very heavy on situational awareness and statistics. I’ve been telling my wife she should go, but you know how much wives listen to their husband. My daughters will attend that too.

Am I paranoid? Maybe a little bit. But I have a couple female friends who should’ve been a bit paranoid.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughters are almost 5 and 7 years old. Right around when they become teenagers, they’re going to take a grappling art, and they’re not going to have a choice. The only choice will be where - the local Judo, BJJ or wrestling club. They’re going to learn to sufficiently defend themselves from being grabbed and dragged, and defend from being put on their back. The other physical stuff is just icing on the cake IMO. I could easily teach them wrestling, as I have a good amount of competition and coaching experience, but they’re not going to take it as seriously as they would from someone else. And I’d prefer the Judo and BJJ chokes and submissions to be honest.

I’d love it if they liked it and stuck with it for a long time. But basically, they’ll have to stay until they’re proficient.

My mother took a women’s self defense seminar run by a local police department a few years ago. She said it was very heavy on situational awareness and statistics. I’ve been telling my wife she should go, but you know how much wives listen to their husband. My daughters will attend that too.

Am I paranoid? Maybe a little bit. But I have a couple female friends who should’ve been a bit paranoid.
you may find daughters don't listen to their dad either when they are 13

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you may find daughters don't listen to their dad either when they are 13
I find they don’t listen very well now :)

There’s ways. Such as “you’re not going anywhere until you’ve done X” “No phone this week” etc. Somehow this generation’s parents forgot to enforce the rules. As a school teacher, I hear it all the time - “my kids don’t listen. I tell them to do their homework but they won’t. I don’t know what to do!” I always say “take that phone away for a few days” or “take the Xbox away” but I get looks like that would be child abuse. Kids learn by having a parent who enforces the rules. And CONSISTENTLY enforces them. Things like that and going places aren’t constitutionally protected rights, and taking them away isn’t exactly “cruel and unusual punishment” by any means, although many parents would vehemently disagree. I don’t know, maybe I’m too old school.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

I see your reasoning....but I look at my 5'3" 105 lb wife and think....If a 200+ lb street thug attacked her....would she still be able to pull off grappling techniques as he is punching her full power? How effective is she going to be trying to out wrestle that guy?

For the most part, the most important thing in self defense is.......prevention! Also, having access to a weapon IMHO is a big advantage.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see your reasoning....but I look at my 5'3" 105 lb wife and think....If a 200+ lb street thug attacked her....would she still be able to pull off grappling techniques as he is punching her full power? How effective is she going to be trying to out wrestle that guy?

For the most part, the most important thing in self defense is.......prevention! Also, having access to a weapon IMHO is a big advantage.
Agreed. Keep in mind most sexual assaults are committed by someone they know, so while prevention and awareness are crucial, they’re not foolproof. Nothing is.

Grappling techniques can help with avoiding punches in a “ground and pound” situation. Chokes don’t take a ton of strength. Some Judo and wrestling throws are actually easier to pull off on a bigger, heavier opponent.

It’s a long shot. But I’ll give them every chance I can, regardless of how small that chance is. It goes along with the philosophy of if I’m going to die in a gun fight, there’s not going to be any bullets left in my gun when it’s over.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

yes, but that the common what if question, the same is true of a male that at a weight strengh disadvantage. The the attacker has significant physical advantages then your techniques are less likely to be effective.

the other side is if your fit and have good skill then the % of the population who can just over power you is much reduced, and those that can may find it takes longer / much more effort and that alone my be enough to change their minds

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find they don’t listen very well now :)

There’s ways. Such as “you’re not going anywhere until you’ve done X” “No phone this week” etc. Somehow this generation’s parents forgot to enforce the rules. As a school teacher, I hear it all the time - “my kids don’t listen. I tell them to do their homework but they won’t. I don’t know what to do!” I always say “take that phone away for a few days” or “take the Xbox away” but I get looks like that would be child abuse. Kids learn by having a parent who enforces the rules. And CONSISTENTLY enforces them. Things like that and going places aren’t constitutionally protected rights, and taking them away isn’t exactly “cruel and unusual punishment” by any means, although many parents would vehemently disagree. I don’t know, maybe I’m too old school.
good luck with that if they don't want to learn to fight, my father was convinced i should like rugby and fishing like he did.i still hold a grudge of how he used to guilt trip me to make me go, when i didn't want to, that lasted til i was about 12 when i found the voice to tell him id rather stick pins in my eyes.

strangely, once he stopped forcing me, i took up both hobbies, they just didn't involve him

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
good luck with that if they don't want to learn to fight, my father was convinced i should like rugby and fishing like he did.i still hold a grudge of how he used to guilt trip me to make me go, when i didn't want to, that lasted til i was about 12 when i found the voice to tell him id rather stick pins in my eyes.

strangely, once he stopped forcing me, i took up both hobbies, they just didn't involve him
You’re right. I’m your father and my daughters are you. Same exact thing will happen. I mean if it happened to you, it HAS to be true of everyone everywhere, right?

And there’s a difference between fishing and rape prevention.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You’re right. I’m your father and my daughters are you. Same exact thing will happen. I mean if it happened to you, it HAS to be true of everyone everywhere, right?

And there’s a difference between fishing and rape prevention.
well these isn't that much difference between playing rugby and sd, some might say rugby is more effective.

its either some thing they want to do or some thing you are making them do, taking their phones off them as they won't take up a hobbie that you want them to, isn't good parenting, even if you think its for you heir own good

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well these isn't that much difference between playing rugby and sd, some might say rugby is more effective.

its either some thing they want to do or some thing you are making them do, taking their phones off them as they won't take up a hobbie that you want them to, isn't good parenting, even if you think its for you heir own good
It doesn't have to be a hobby. It's like a science class. They should take it, learn it, then they can stop if they want.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Come back to me when you’re a parent.

I won’t be forcing them into a hobby, I’ll be mandating a life skill. If they wish to continue it as a hobby, all the better. They’ll only be required to do it until they’re proficient. Past that is their prerogative.

If we had a pool, lake or ocean in our backyard, swimming lessons would be mandated too. They’d go until they could prove they wouldn’t drown simply by being in water too deep to touch the bottom. If they chose to go further with it or compete in it would be their choice. SD is no different in my eyes. If they don’t like it, tough sh!t. I didn’t like my father bringing me to his auto repair shop and teaching me how to fix my own car after the initial newness of it all wore off. As an adult I now understand why. I didn’t like it when I had to read for 20 minutes every night either.

I have a duty to protect my kids and just as importantly to teach them to protect themselves when I can’t. If they don’t appreciate that at the time, oh well; they’ll thank me later. I’ll do the absolute best I can to get them to have fun, buy into it and not shove it down their throats. But if push comes to shove, so be it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

One of the things I hated most when I did some teaching or even when I was a kid training myself was kids who were forced to be there. Because simply its a waste of time they're not listening they won't be practicing at home so they won't remember things so the instructor has to repeat things again which wastes everyone's time, the instructors because he has to redo lessons, the kids who don't want to be there because they could be doing something they want and it's a waste to the kids who want to be there who have to wait for the ones who don't

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come back to me when you’re a parent.

I won’t be forcing them into a hobby, I’ll be mandating a life skill. If they wish to continue it as a hobby, all the better. They’ll only be required to do it until they’re proficient. Past that is their prerogative.

If we had a pool, lake or ocean in our backyard, swimming lessons would be mandated too. They’d go until they could prove they wouldn’t drown simply by being in water too deep to touch the bottom. If they chose to go further with it or compete in it would be their choice. SD is no different in my eyes. If they don’t like it, tough sh!t. I didn’t like my father bringing me to his auto repair shop and teaching me how to fix my own car after the initial newness of it all wore off. As an adult I now understand why. I didn’t like it when I had to read for 20 minutes every night either.

I have a duty to protect my kids and just as importantly to teach them to protect themselves when I can’t. If they don’t appreciate that at the time, oh well; they’ll thank me later. I’ll do the absolute best I can to get them to have fun, buy into it and not shove it down their throats. But if push comes to shove, so be it.
Sorry cant agree with that mentality I just can't. Yes self defence is important of course it is but if they don't want to do it they won't be interested they won't do it right then once they are allowed to stop they'll completely forget it because they hate it and were forced into it. Kids should be allowed to choose their extra activities if they want martial arts great if they want to do tennis or football or gymnastics great. Obviously the really important stuff like English, maths things like that they have to do but anything outside of education should be their choice as long as their doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions