Women and Ninjutsu; good idea?

Chuck Jackson

White Belt
Reaction score
MrFunnieman said:
Tarot, I know the guys that started the CNC and I agree with the comments of rutherford and Bigshadow.

If you are interested in ninjutsu and it's elements you might look up the Columbus Quest Center. It's owned my Michael Francis. He may have changed the name to Jizaikan Kage Dojo (or something to that effect). He's a great guy and I know there are several women training there. It's not affiliated with the Bujinkan, but all the material taught is derived from there. The school is located in the Silver Lane Center on N. Hamilton Rd. in Gahanna. If anything it's worth a visit and they train four or five days a week. If not... pursue Aikido :)

MrFunnieman,
Thanks for the kind words about Mr. Francis and the Jizaikan Kage Dojo.
I trained with the CNC for a couple of years, they are nice guys but I think my training is much better under Mr. Francis and Mr. Maienza.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Women participate in hapkido, tae kwon do, karate, kenpo, judo, aikido etc. I would see no reason what so ever why women could not take ninjutsu.

I would think because women are generally smaller and lighter than men that ninjutsu would be well suited for them.

Chuck Jackson

White Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Kizaru,
I think Rutherford was talking about the punching pads they had on their hands like in boxing drills. Not something like a makiwara that is solid.

I tend to agree with him on the real target thing. Putting a pad on your body and the other guy hitting that is something we both have done. Flashing a punching pad like the do in boxing is not.

I like to use the hand pads when I teach because it's easier to see how a student is using their body when they strike the target, when working with another person as the target sometimes the other persons limbs obstruct the view of the student under observation. I usually start with the target still to see if the person striking is telegraphing their intent by pulling their hands back or bouncing or droping their hands before they punch. I had a student that bounced his hands 4 times and punched on the 5th bounce every time.
After a bit of warm up with the static targets we add some random footwork in, moving backward, forward and around the person striking, so they can work their footwork as well, I don't think we've ever just gone in a straight line backwards though. This is really just a warm up excercise for us and not a substitute for using another body as a target.

Chuck

Chuck Jackson

White Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
There are two Ninjutsu schools in my area that I am hoping to check out soon. I was wondering if those taking Ninjutsu would think it's a good MA for women to learn? Do you currently have women in your school? :)

Tarot,
How is your search going?

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Chuck! :) I actually went in a different direction and started taking Modern Arnis. To say I love it and my school would be an understatement. :D

Chuck Jackson

White Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
Thanks for asking Chuck! :) I actually went in a different direction and started taking Modern Arnis. To say I love it and my school would be an understatement. :D

It's good to love what you do. I was looking at an Arnis school on the north end of Columbus a couple of years ago, but decided to focus on my current training. For me, training in two arts simultaneously would be too much.
I wish you all the best.

Chuck

Latest Discussions