Woman put in jail for refusing to take drugs?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...wis-case-challenges-fetal-protection-law?lite

On July 2, Beltran, 28, met with a physician’s assistant at West Bend Clinic at Saint Joseph’s Hospital in West Bend, Wis., for her prenatal visit. When asked to detail her medical history, Beltran admitted a past struggle with the painkiller Percocet. But that was all behind her, Beltran said: She had been taking Suboxone, a drug used to treat Percocet dependency. Lacking health insurance and unable to afford the medication, Beltran had used an acquaintance’s prescription and self-administered the drug in decreasing doses. She had taken her last dose a few days before her prenatal visit.
According to Beltran, the physician’s assistant recommended she renew her use of Suboxone under a doctor’s supervision. After Beltran declined, she said she was asked to take a drug test, which was negative for all substances except Suboxone.

At the hearing, her lawyers say, the judge told Beltran that an attorney would not be provided for her at that time but that she could seek counsel for her next hearing in the case. And yet, a lawyer had been appointed to represent her fetus. “It’s wrong that an unborn child gets an attorney but Alicia Beltran, the mother of that unborn child did not,” said Vanden Heuvel.

seriously....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think in this case they have messed up but I can see the reason for this law.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think in this case they have messed up but I can see the reason for this law.

Oh, yes, there are good reasons for a law like this.
If it does not trample the accused's rights!
For women who can't make a wise choice if it was the only option, yes.

But in this case, should the story have payed out like this, wow is the only thing I can think of!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s an issue that also drives up health care costs.

Drug-addicted babies usually require a 15-day hospital stay to ensure they are monitored while going through withdrawals.

“An infant exposed to drugs before birth is probably going to cost close to $41,000. For non-addicted babies, the cost is roughly $7,285.

Bharti said education is the key to stopping the abuse.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/111665/drug-addicted-babies-on-rise-in-tennessee

Spare me the anti woman BS. Its about saving the rest of us money and saving a child's life. Some of the children are even girls

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yes, there are good reasons for a law like this.
If it does not trample the accused's rights!
For women who can't make a wise choice if it was the only option, yes.

But in this case, should the story have payed out like this, wow is the only thing I can think of!

Thats why I said in this case it appears they messed up. But then again we only have her story.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s an issue that also drives up health care costs.

Drug-addicted babies usually require a 15-day hospital stay to ensure they are monitored while going through withdrawals.

“An infant exposed to drugs before birth is probably going to cost close to $41,000. For non-addicted babies, the cost is roughly $7,285.

Bharti said education is the key to stopping the abuse.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/111665/drug-addicted-babies-on-rise-in-tennessee

Spare me the anti woman BS. Its about saving the rest of us money and saving a child's life. Some of the children are even girls

I know that this topic pushes your buttons and you do turn into a....yeah, sorry...woman hater.
You are always such a stickler for due process....
The fetus gets a lawyer, the accused does not...I thought that was covered in the constitution.
And in this case, oh, wrongful imprisonment comes to mind. The gal in question lost her job and might yet lose custody of her child. Wow, extreme! How come the law never gets those who really smoke crack...oh right, they don't even go to prenatal checks. Dr patient confidentiality...I guess the nurse tech does not count....

Yep, education is key: High school diplomas, sex-ed other than 'don't', actual jobs that are not a 15h commute by plane...

and we are closing the circle and return to the war on poverty...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that this topic pushes your buttons and you do turn into a....yeah, sorry...woman hater.
What part of some baby's need protection from their mothers makes me a woman hater? You don't want this law to apply to you then don't be a drug addict and get pregnant. If anything it shows I'm a drug addict hater at most.
You are always such a stickler for due process....
The fetus gets a lawyer, the accused does not...I thought that was covered in the constitution.
I agree with you of she is in court she deserves a lawyer no argument from me. However some types of hearings your not required to have a lawyer. Bail hearings for example you don't get a lawyer, initial appearances no lawyer. If you pay for a private lawyer they can come but its not required. But again it's her version that she wasn't allowed to have one
And in this case, oh, wrongful imprisonment comes to mind. The gal in question lost her job and might yet lose custody of her child. Wow, extreme!
If it really went down as it she says then your right.

how come the law never gets those who really smoke crack...oh right, they don't even go to prenatal checks. Dr patient confidentiality...I guess the nurse tech does not count....
I agree they need to use this law more
Yep, education is key: High school diplomas, sex-ed other than 'don't', actual jobs that are not a 15h commute by plane...

and we are closing the circle and return to the war on poverty...
Huh?