Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't know there was more of them either! :rofl:

I knew Lily was the grandmaster, we have done some seminars with her before, very impressive woman.

7sm

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Women have had a prominent place in the arts for quite a while. If I'm not mistaken the legendary founder of Wing Chun was a woman. There is the story of Sun Tzu teaching the concubines of the Emperor to be expert pikemen. There are many stories throughout the Malay archapeligo about women weapons masters (the blind princess). I have always thought of history associating weapons to women because of their inheirent grace and lack of brute strength, the exact attributes that fit weapons best. I think the GM of Peokelan Cimande is a woman and so is the head of the Mande Muda system. For what its worth, my old Aikido teacher was the highest ranked akidoka in the U.S., and she was as good as any I had seen yet.

I think the lower numbers of female martial artists and the currently spiking numbers are due to the nature of more primitive societies as being patriarchal as a whole. As western society became more civilized, it became evident that women are at the very least equals in most areas.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Last night I saw the movie kill bill. There was lots of woman fighting and it made me think. I have meet many woman black belts but not many woman master only a few is this all over or just in michigan? Why don't have many woman masters? Does any one know why there is not more woman masters? I feel 1 woman master out there for every 25 man masters that sound about right ?
I think that's about right I'm afraid.

In my city there is a female Kung-Fu master named Grace Wu. I have yet to meet her.
Sounds nice on the phone though.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions