Wolverine Boys ( Michiganders)

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, Michiganders sounds silly. I prefer the much older term for us mitten folk, Wolverines. With an hour to spare before I can go to a customer's house, I got to wondering; who all lives in Michigan? I'd love to meet ya. I'm in Ensley, lower peninsula, west michigan, between Grand Rapids and Big Rapids.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
The term isn't used as much after the old movie Red Dawn. Might also have to do with it's association with the largest active militia in the state, MMCW -Michigan Militia Corps Wolverines.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me, Michiganders sounds silly. I prefer the much older term for us mitten folk, Wolverines. With an hour to spare before I can go to a customer's house, I got to wondering; who all lives in Michigan? I'd love to meet ya. I'm in Ensley, lower peninsula, west michigan, between Grand Rapids and Big Rapids.

I live in SE Michigan, northern Metro Detroit area.

I've been here since 2006. Before that, I lived in NC. Before that, NM. Before that, CO. Before that WI. Before that CO again. Before that, NE. Before that, CO again. Before that, CA. Before that, CO again. Before that, IL. Before that I wasn't born yet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not from Michigan, but my father was and 8 of his 10 siblings stayed there and I have literally 100s of relatives there...most of whom I do not even know.....I vote Michigander

Michigander.jpg

although I will admit.... a Wolverine is cool...either one

wolverine-crouching.adapt.945.1.jpg

X.jpg

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or as we call them...Americans. :D

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yoopers live in Da U.P. and Trolls live under the bridge. I'm a Troll.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
The term "Wolverines" and hence The Wolverine State " is a very old one indeed. It is recorded that Daniel Boone had a story about a guy from the Michigan area" one of the wolverine boys". As a a junkie of Michigan history 1600-1900, I'm not sure but my best guess is the term had to do with either the coureur des bois of the great lakes area or the great lakes voyageurs. I'm gonna hafta check on it.

Latest Discussions