Wisconsin requires MA instructors to get state liscense

Discussion in 'The NewsRoom' started by David43515, Feb 23, 2010.

1. David43515

David43515 Master Black Belt

http://new.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/feb/21/bill-cracks-down-martial-arts-instructors-sex-crim/

"MADISON, Wis. (WTAQ) - A new law is aimed to prevent sex crimes in the dojo. State Representative Marlin Schneider says by and large martial arts instructors are good people, however...
    "There have been a number of cases across the country - including Wisconsin - where martial arts instructors have taken sexual advantage of the children under their charge," Schneider said.
    Governor Jim Doyle has signed Schneider's bill which requires martial artists teaching children to be licensed by the state.
    "They have to submit to the Department of Regulation and Licensing so you can determine whether or not they're eligible to have a license," Schneider said.
    Applicants convicted of sex crimes or murder will not be granted licensing."

I wonder if they have the same requirments for little league, scouts, piano instructors, gymnastics coaches, dance teachers, etc. It`s well meant, but in my opinion it`s discriminatory legislation because it singles out one group.

Anyone know for sure if it`s just a police background check, or has someone finally come up with a way to monopolize what MA is taught in their area by determining who does and doesn`t get a lisence to teach? As bad as MA polotics was before, this could theoreticly get way out of hand.

What do you think?

2. celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler Senior Master

Just a matter of time...

3. CoryKS

CoryKS Senior Master

Interesting phrase. "...a number of cases across the country - including Wisconsin - ...". Good thing that some of thoses cases happened to occur in Wisconsin, otherwise you're not really addressing a problem that pertains to you.

Anyone else think it's strange to use national statistics to justify state legislature? I mean, something is either a problem in your state or it isn't.

4. David43515

David43515 Master Black Belt

Well, I can`t help thinking that it`s a problem everywhere that you have kids congregating together in any kind of numbers. If you have lots of kids in a place, you`re eventually going to have preditors atracted to the area. But I don`tthink it`s a problem unique to martial arts schools. Like I said, are they making instructors/coaches for other activities go through this?

I`m no law expert, not by a long shot, but this seems to me to be singling out a single type of business to meet liscencing requirements that simlar businesses don`t have to meet. Isn`t that restraint of trade or something?

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

I actually have no problem with a bill designed to protect people and of course children. I would hope that it would apply to other areas as well ie. Dance, Little League, Boy Scouts, etc., etc. I would of course also hope that it does not cost much and or attempts to regulate what is being taught. That becomes a very big issue as we all know what will happen.

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons A Student of Martial Arts

• Advisor
    • Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    A couple of years ago NY state also tried a simular law. But they also wanted a board to qualify the isntructor, and other limitations such as must be a certain degree to teach or own a club.

But from a real high level it looks like Wisconsin wants to have a background check capable for those who work with kids. The license allows them to check. Yet, if the person is not convicted of a sex crimes offense then the security of the children are still at risk.

Does it really and truly address the issue? Or does it just make for some nice press to address a touchy issue?

7. blindsage

blindsage Master of Arts

I'm just wondering if licensing Sunday school's or children's bible study groups would go over well in Wisconsin.

8. Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT Senior Master

In Belgium, most organizations require their personnel and instructors to present a (lit.) 'certificate of good behavior'. This is a certificate that you have to get at the local county / city office in your place of residence. You have to request it yourself (others can't get that info).

The document itself is a summary of your criminal record, consisting only of elements relevant to the request. The reason for request is printed on the document itself. So for example, people wanting to enroll in genbukan in Belgium have to hand over the default form in order to certify that they have no history of violence or criminal behavior. There is also a more extensive form that you need in any position where you have authority or responsibility over children, and I was told it also requires an interview to get a psych evaluation.

This document is basically a way for organizations to provide due diligence when choosing instructors etc while still guaranteeing the privacy of the people. After all, you have to get it yourself, it contains no details and it only contains relevant information. So while e.g public urination is a vice crime, it will not be listed because it has no relevance (if it's a single offense etc etc).

9. terryl965

terryl965 <center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I guess I would agree, the only problem I have is it is singling out just Martial Artist. If these was to include all little league sports and dance as well as gymnastic I would be OK with it. One thing I have never understood is school owners that does not do a background check on the people they hire, me and my wife get a background check every year though the school system and for the PTA and other such orgs we are involved in. When we hire an instructor we tell them we are going to runa background check on them as well.

Like I said if they law was to include everything then it would not be a problem but to single out in one org. is simply silly to me.

10. Brian King

Brian King Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    • MartialTalk Mentor
    I am wondering for those that travel to teach seminars, do they need the lic as well.

Brian King

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

You know Brian that is a really, really good question.