WingChunpedia - Lineages

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. I think there is far too much emphasis placed on worrying about who someone trained with and for how long. What counts is what someone can do.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this was posted but here is a good list of WC lineages and their differences.

Here is TWC

WingChunPedia | WCP / WilliamCheungTWCLineage browse

As I read these I think it’s not that important as to what lineage you study but rather how you train.
I’m not sure if this was posted but here is a good list of WC lineages and their differences.

Here is TWC

WingChunPedia | WCP / WilliamCheungTWCLineage browse

As I read these I think it’s not that important as to what lineage you study but rather how you train.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The term lineage is often used sloppily.Self taught
wing chun can also be suspect.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize I probably should have said "Lineage Wing Chun learned poorly".....

Consider two students:

Student X lives local and trains fairly consistently, though not every time classes are held. He treats his training more like a "social hour" or like a session at the gym. He does little if any practicing at home. All of his training is done when he comes to class. Maybe he joined because some of his friends train there, or because it was the closest martial arts school to his home. I'm sure anyone that has been teaching for awhile has had their share of students like this. Plenty of people have probably had classmates like this. These are typically the guys that spend as much time talking, laughing, and joking as they do training hard. If it is a reasonable sized public school, he is probably not getting very much personal attention in classes either.

Student Y is passionate about learning Wing Chun but no one teaches it where he lives. So he is willing to travel for training. He doesn't show up in class nearly as often as student X, but when he does he really pays attention and makes note of what was taught. He really thinks about what he is learning and doing and practices a lot on his own to make up for not being in class to practice. He reads whatever he can find about Wing Chun and maybe even invests in some instructional DVDs to help supplement his learning. He travels up for workshops or seminars that the instructor gives when he can.

I think it would be wrong to assume that student X knows the system and is a good representation of the teacher's system just because he has been going to classes fairly regularly. I think it would be just as wrong to assume the student Y doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't understand the system just because he hasn't had nearly as much "face time" with the teacher as student X. Personally, I would put more faith in student Y than student X!

Again, what counts is what someone can do. Making too many assumptions about someone based solely on who taught them and for how long is neither fair to the student nor very accurate a good percentage of the time.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
That list is... very biased, to say the least. I could almost tell you who wrote it.