Wing Tsun Vs Modern Arnis

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, having studied Wing Chun do & Traditional Wing Chun as well as Kali & Eskrima... If it is taking you a "couple years" to learn how to trap properly - thats about a Year & 1/2 too long!!
The main reason for the development of Wing Chun was so that people could learn an effective self defense system in a small amount of time.

No offense intended, just my opinion.:D

best of luck
Rob

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First of all let me suggest that Wing Chun and Arnis are very complimentary. That said let me share my experience with Wing Chun. Sparring with a friend who is pretty good with Wing Chun I learned real quick to make good use of my angular foot work. His answer was to cut me off and put his lead hand in my face to provoke a response and form a bridge. My answer was a gunting that threw off his game. Lessons learned: Wing Chun guys can be very tough opponents, don't play their game, and sometimes the unexpected can rob their timing. For the record we both have back grounds in western boxing.

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

variance

White Belt
Reaction score
my experience in sparring against aggressive WC guys(only sparred 2) is they dont seem to be too concerned about blasts to their knee or ankle. also a good opportunity for clinch and stand-up locks/grappling/joint destruction.

triangular footwork. angle towards his outside. and then I do simultanous hand/foot attacks. hand to parry/trap/strike or force his hand
and foot to hit his thigh, or knee or ankle depending on my range.
if im really close. trying for a clench then using the knee is pretty effective.

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Check out the thread on clinching in Modern Arnis. Wing Chun seems to have a decent repertoire of low and deceptive kicks. I no expert in Wing Chun, but I would think that they would have decent defensive skills against at least low kicks. Of course getting straight blasted in the groin after trying a high kick would probably suck too.:)

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Of course getting straight blasted in the groin after trying a high kick would probably suck too.:)"

Yeah... talk about being used as a punching bag... whew. Break out the ice bucket.

Latest Discussions