Wing Tsun Vs Modern Arnis

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Marvin
Hi all, I have never been able to apply trapping going aganst a full out partner.
Marvin

Marvin,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

As asked by Arnisador, could you give specifics.

There are people here with lots of knowledge and history and contacts that could help.

:asian:

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi again, when I tried trapping, (Unless you count patting the jab trapping) it always seems like I'd get the punch on the way out or the punch would blow right by.
As far as what I've tried; hubud, trapping hands, W.C. immovable elbow. etc.
Marvin

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wing Chun style trapping, I've been told, is more for when you "clash" and are jammed up. FMA-style guntings or destructions work well in other situations.

OP
S

sercuerdasfigther

wc trapping comes into play when your opponent tries to occupy centerline on you. thats what it is for. a wc guy wants to control centerline and blast you , so wc trapping is designed if the opponent trires to take centerline away from you. fma trapping can come from off line and be as little as jamming one of you opponents arms against his body.

OP
S

streetblaster

Hi again, when I tried trapping, (Unless you count patting the jab trapping) it always seems like I'd get the punch on the way out or the punch would blow right by.
Marvin

You probably have not practiced enough, trhaning these moves take quite a while to get them.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Marvin

I've seen this happend a lot. People practice trapping in class, usually by doing drills, where the partner isn't committed in the attack...so they just slap the hand. Then when facing a committed attack, the punch goes right through the parry and into the face.

The reason is, a parry or trap isn't just a slap with no energy behind it. You parry with the whole body, just as you strike with the whole body. Your parry should involve proper body mechanics so that you redirect his force.

Beyond what I just said, I'd actually have to see what you are doing when you trap to offer any additional advise.

PAUL

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by streetblaster
You probably have not practiced enough, trhaning these moves take quite a while to get them.
Hi streetblaster, what constitutes "a while"?

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
I've seen this happend a lot. People practice trapping in class, usually by doing drills, where the partner isn't committed in the attack...so they just slap the hand. Then when facing a committed attack, the punch goes right through the parry and into the face.

The reason is, a parry or trap isn't just a slap with no energy behind it. You parry with the whole body, just as you strike with the whole body. Your parry should involve proper body mechanics so that you redirect his force.

Beyond what I just said, I'd actually have to see what you are doing when you trap to offer any additional advise.

PAUL
Hi Paul, I guess I should have been a little more explicit in my description. Against other f.m.a.s and W.C., not a problem. But folks with a good western boxing base, no way.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Paul, I guess I should have been a little more explicit in my description. Against other f.m.a.s and W.C., not a problem. But folks with a good western boxing base, no way.

Thats where the destructions come into play!!!

Mike

OP
S

streetblaster

Hi streetblaster, what constitutes "a while"?

you can;t learn it in a day, it may take up to a couple years to be able to apply trapping

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by streetblaster
you can;t learn it in a day, it may take up to a couple years to be able to apply trapping
Streetblaster, that's fine, but what about people that are training for the now. What if they don't have the option of waiting 2 years, if ever, to be able to apply their technique?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Boxing is a great fighting sport...no question about it. But like anything, its not an end all be all.

The problem with fighting a boxer if your a trapper is that they don't like to play the trapping game, so I agree that it is difficult to trap a boxer.

Yet, you don't have to play his game either. Someone mentioned limb destructions? What if you grab one of his wrists?

There are a lot of options you have, and a lot of circumstances where the boxer could get trapped.

Yet, I agree; it is very difficult to bait a boxer into the trapping game.

OP
S

streetblaster

Streetblaster, that's fine, but what about people that are training for the now. What if they don't have the option of waiting 2 years, if ever, to be able to apply their technique?

Maybe you can't get it to work, but I can pull of trapping, no problem!!
it just come down to the individual doing the technique

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1- I never thought of trapping as more than a tool, I have always been more concerned with hitting and not being hit. A trap usually coming after other things have already happened.
2- As far as comments about training time to do things well, every art has great things that you may want to do but you have to train them for a while in order to pull them off, you need a degree of sensitivity, timing etc.
3- Wing chun type trapping MIGHT work better for someone , who had more knowledge of wing chun,as there is training in wing chun that complements the ability to trap as opposed to just getting a piece of the puzzle, but there are no guarantees.
4- There is no shortcut to training time. The best jkd guy has been training for years , the best karate guy, the best boxer etc.
No matter how you train there is no way around years of practice if you want to get close to the top level. There is no shortcut to proficiency.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
UMMM..

I'd kick a boxer in the knee.

Very few Martial artists are going to be able to stand toe to toe with a boxer in a punching match.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tapps
UMMM..

I'd kick a boxer in the knee.

Very few Martial artists are going to be able to stand toe to toe with a boxer in a punching match.

I gotta agree with that one! Punching is not a specialty of mine. Dont get me wrong, I can punch, but I prefer to kick. When thats not an option, the clinching and using more close range strikes is something that I prefer.

As for a boxer, hell yeah, I agree with Tapps. I'd definately kick. Taking your opp. out of there game is an important thing to keep in mind.

Mike

Latest Discussions