'Wing Chun Warrior' book review

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/KE16Ad02.html

Sounds very interesting.

"The story of Duncan Leung - childhood friend of Bruce Lee and disciple of Wing Chun master Yip Man - is valuable not only for the insights it offers into Chinese martial arts but also for its portrayal of the lost Hong Kong of the 1950s and 1960s. "

"At one point, a young Leung comes across two triads (underworld figures) raining blows on a defenseless old man outside the long-defunct London Theater in Kowloon. His Wing Chun principles and reflexes immediately kick in, and the two toughs are quickly dispatched.
As a reward, the mysterious old man teaches his youthful savior several deadly fighting techniques that involve applying pressure to vital points of the body."

phfman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/KE16Ad02.html

Sounds very interesting.

"The story of Duncan Leung - childhood friend of Bruce Lee and disciple of Wing Chun master Yip Man - is valuable not only for the insights it offers into Chinese martial arts but also for its portrayal of the lost Hong Kong of the 1950s and 1960s. "

"At one point, a young Leung comes across two triads (underworld figures) raining blows on a defenseless old man outside the long-defunct London Theater in Kowloon. His Wing Chun principles and reflexes immediately kick in, and the two toughs are quickly dispatched.
As a reward, the mysterious old man teaches his youthful savior several deadly fighting techniques that involve applying pressure to vital points of the body."
Why didn't the mysterious old man use the "deadly fighting techniques" to save himself from the 2 triads?

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I haven't read this book as of yet, however I have heard a lot of good things about the book itself. And from what I heard a lot of the stories were of interest as well.

So I can't personally recommend it, but I haven't heard anything unusually bad about it yet...

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found the book titled, "Look Beyond the Pointing Finger: The Combat Philosophy of Wong Shun Leung," by David Peterson to be an excellent read. He was a disciple/student of Yip Man, and a excellent fighter/teacher from everything that I have read on him. Though I haven't practiced/trained in Wing Chun for many years I figure that the info in this book can help practitioners of all styles.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i read the wing chun warrior book several months ago. it was entertaining. don't remember much anymore because i got a bad memory. 1 thing i do remember that's interesting is that the system has an extra wooden dummy set.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I found the book titled, "Look Beyond the Pointing Finger: The Combat Philosophy of Wong Shun Leung," by David Peterson to be an excellent read. He was a disciple/student of Yip Man, and a excellent fighter/teacher from everything that I have read on him. Though I haven't practiced/trained in Wing Chun for many years I figure that the info in this book can help practitioners of all styles.

I thoroughly enjoyed that book as well :ultracool, thanks for bringing it to mention.

Latest Discussions