Wing chun vs mma reaction

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This vid makes me feel old. Reaction video.....wondering how they first came about? And I don't blame the first guy to do one. I blame the first guy he showed it to for not slapping him upside the head, hard.

But I will say one thing, that looks like a really nice chair.

OP
M

Muneeb200129

White Belt
Reaction score
Haha thinking about it I remember a friend showing me a video of a guy and his girlfriend reacting to the movie undisputed 3 and when there was some grappling in the scene the girl was like "hey you roll don't you?" And the guy was like "huh whats rolling?" And she replied "like jiu jitsu and that stuff" and he replied "oh..yeah I do that" it was funny because the guy obviously was talking total bs about doing jiu jitsu and got exposed
Could I ask if u give me that dislike on my video coz I’d like to know why so I could on work on that feedback

OP
M

Muneeb200129

White Belt
Reaction score
This vid makes me feel old. Reaction video.....wondering how they first came about? And I don't blame the first guy to do one. I blame the first guy he showed it to for not slapping him upside the head, hard.

But I will say one thing, that looks like a really nice chair.
The chair is pretty comfy haha

OP
M

Muneeb200129

White Belt
Reaction score
So you made a type of video you find boring in an attempt to get views?

Not a smart move...

There are two types of reaction videos that get views:

First, someone who is a real authority on the subject doing a similar thing to a post match analysis.

Second, someone who doesn't really know anything about the subject, but chooses to 'react' to something that's hugely popular and is searched all the time (so that the reaction shows up in keyword searches).

Be honest, which are you?

It appears that you want to build a channel. In all honesty this sort of video will do nothing more than hold you back and tarnish your reputation as long as you leave it live...

Edit: I haven't watched the video - you look so bored in the preview image I really don't want to.
Could I ask if you gave me that dislike coz I’d like to know why and then I could work towards your feedback.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I’m the first one or at least think I am and with the thumbnail it thought it was more of me reacting to it in more of a serious way. TBH I’m not doing youtube for views im doing it for fun and when I said that my mate told me it would get views I never did it for that specific reason I did it coz I thought that’s what people would enjoy and that’s exactly what I want

The worst videos to watch, ever, are the ones that "I thought people would like"...

If you're doing it for fun, do what you enjoy. If other people find it entertaining it'll grow organically. If it doesn't grow, then hey, you're not doing it for views anyway.

If you enjoy what you're doing, the chances are much higher that others will too - if you're bored and trying too hard (as it looks in the preview) then your audience will feel that and link that with any other videos you do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forgive my manners, welcome to Martialtalk, Muneeb. :)

OP
M

Muneeb200129

White Belt
Reaction score
The worst videos to watch, ever, are the ones that "I thought people would like"...

If you're doing it for fun, do what you enjoy. If other people find it entertaining it'll grow organically. If it doesn't grow, then hey, you're not doing it for views anyway.

If you enjoy what you're doing, the chances are much higher that others will too - if you're bored and trying too hard (as it looks in the preview) then your audience will feel that and link that with any other videos you do.
Thanks for the advice, I find that really motivating

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could I ask if you gave me that dislike coz I’d like to know why and then I could work towards your feedback.

I haven't watched it, but in all honesty I probably would thumb it down if I did.

I did a video on "what people would like" - but I didn't like it. It got something like 5000 views in a couple of months but I didn't feel comfortable with it, frankly I found it embarrassing.

I took it down, because.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it, I’ll definitely work towards it
No problem. There is a purpose for why you are making the video. Stay true to that purpose and don't feel like you have to do "reaction videos" to get people to watch.

This is before your your time but I think you can learn from it. I never watched much of them but that's because of my approach to movies is that I'm going to watch a movie if I think I like it and I don't care what others think about a movie, but all of that is beside the point. They made a living out it. The thing that probably made them successful is that they did movie reviews in a way that almost made you feel as if you were listening in on a nearby conversation, which tends to get people involved without being involved directly. Sort of like how people pull their smart phones out and start recording 2 people arguing or performing.

Take notes on these guys. Watch a full episode and if you find yourself making comments about how stupid either one is, or that they don't know what they are talking about in terms of the movie, then that is the exact point where they have captured your attention. Things like this also allows you to show your knowledge and gives you a chance to shine a bit.

The reason I show this because you can see them react to the comments even though it's not a "Reaction" Video.

Another example of a show that shows other people's reaction

I'm not saying to do exactly what they are doing. I'm not saying copy what they do. I saying understand the science behind it. Why does it work? What is drawing the attention. Does the videos make you look better or do you make the video look better?

If you are trying to make money from YouTube, then making a reaction video is probably be the best way to go, because it's trendy so you can make a quick buck. Reaction videos have a short life span. The 2 shows that I put lasted longer than I would have ever thought they would. Siskel and Ebert kept going until the wheels fell off.

This is another one. Before your time.

They guys that probably fit into your generation would be the John Stewart Show and Stephen Cobert who did tons of "Reaction"

Figure out why it worked for these people and then see if it's something that can be put into a formula and repeated in a way that will allow you to get a lot of mileage out of it.

Just something to think about as you do your videos.

OP
M

Muneeb200129

White Belt
Reaction score
I haven't watched it, but in all honesty I probably would thumb it down if I did.

I did a video on "what people would like" - but I didn't like it. It got something like 5000 views in a couple of months but I didn't feel comfortable with it, frankly I found it embarrassing.

I took it down, because.
Thanks for being honest, I thought people would enjoy this rather than me doing some martial arts techniques

OP
M

Muneeb200129

White Belt
Reaction score
No problem. There is a purpose for why you are making the video. Stay true to that purpose and don't feel like you have to do "reaction videos" to get people to watch.

This is before your your time but I think you can learn from it. I never watched much of them but that's because of my approach to movies is that I'm going to watch a movie if I think I like it and I don't care what others think about a movie, but all of that is beside the point. They made a living out it. The thing that probably made them successful is that they did movie reviews in a way that almost made you feel as if you were listening in on a nearby conversation, which tends to get people involved without being involved directly. Sort of like how people pull their smart phones out and start recording 2 people arguing or performing.

Take notes on these guys. Watch a full episode and if you find yourself making comments about how stupid either one is, or that they don't know what they are talking about in terms of the movie, then that is the exact point where they have captured your attention. Things like this also allows you to show your knowledge and gives you a chance to shine a bit.

The reason I show this because you can see them react to the comments even though it's not a "Reaction" Video.

Another example of a show that shows other people's reaction

I'm not saying to do exactly what they are doing. I'm not saying copy what they do. I saying understand the science behind it. Why does it work? What is drawing the attention. Does the videos make you look better or do you make the video look better?

If you are trying to make money from YouTube, then making a reaction video is probably be the best way to go, because it's trendy so you can make a quick buck. Reaction videos have a short life span. The 2 shows that I put lasted longer than I would have ever thought they would. Siskel and Ebert kept going until the wheels fell off.

This is another one. Before your time.

They guys that probably fit into your generation would be the John Stewart Show and Stephen Cobert who did tons of "Reaction"

Figure out why it worked for these people and then see if it's something that can be put into a formula and repeated in a way that will allow you to get a lot of mileage out of it.

Just something to think about as you do your videos.
I owe you a big thank you, I have learnt so much from these videos and ur advice

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know I just don't see the point of them i know there's video game ones to...like why do I want to spend 20 minutes watching some kid play a game...if I'm that interested the game I'll play the damm thing myself lol
My son tries to watch the video games ones and I always make him change it when I catch him.

However with that said. I will admit that I've been guilty of watching a few who were doing impersonations. Some of the Family guy call of duty impersonations are well worth the 5 minutes of wasted time lol. But it's the impersonation that makes it worth it and not me watching someone else play a game. You could just listen to the conversation without the video and it's still entertaining.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for being honest, I thought people would enjoy this rather than me doing some martial arts techniques

There's no reason at all for me not to be honest.

Bear in mind, I'm not necessarily saying reaction type videos are bad - if you enjoy making them then carry on making them.

There are a few channels (non MA) I used to really enjoy watching on YouTube, guys that were doing what they liked, saying what they liked and having a laugh. I actually learned stuff from them. Unfortunately they got sponsored (so suddenly a load of their content became obviously paid shill reviews) and to protect that they fell into 'mainstream, what other people like'. Overnight, crap. Unsub.

If you enjoy filming yourself doing MA stuff, film it. Publish it. Use it to learn - watching yourself on screen is a good way to find faults, and if you can't find any you can be certain someone else will ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd rather watch a video of some actual skill rather than some guy watching YouTube and since almost everyone on here does martial arts I'm assuming most will have the same opinion.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So haven't watched the video yet (my fiancee needs quiet while she works and I don't know where my headphones are), but going to include my theory on reaction videos.

My assumption is people like reaction videos for the same reason that they like watching a baseball game with announcers (as opposed to muted). What that reason is I have no idea...but both seem to be very popular for some reason, and the concept of both seems to be the same to me...you get to watch the game/video/whatever, but you also get to hear someone's real-time take on it. If any of you happen to like listening to announcers during sports, try figuring out why and see if that applies to reaction videos.

To the OP: reaction videos aren't necessarily bad, I just don't think this forum is the right demographic for that kind of thing. Most people here are older, and I believe they're popular with teens. My impression on this site is that most of us are also more interested in feedback and a back and forth with other martial artists, than a reaction video which is just a one-way evaluation.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd rather watch a video of some actual skill rather than some guy watching YouTube and since almost everyone on here does martial arts I'm assuming most will have the same opinion.
I think you hit the key...the people on here are not interested in it since we're the wrong demographic for MA reaction videos. Doesn't mean that demographic doesn't exist somewhere...just not here.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know I just don't see the point of them i know there's video game ones to...like why do I want to spend 20 minutes watching some kid play a game...if I'm that interested the game I'll play the damm thing myself lol

OK. But if a subject doesn't interest you
You don't have to jump up and down about it.

Engaging in a conversation to say how much you don't want to engage in a conversation makes you sound like a duchebag.

Latest Discussions