Wing Chun vs Jeet Kune Do (I Am Bruce Lee Pt 2)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being around 5'7 I find it difficult practicing chi sao with anyone 6 foot plus. I find i have to use more tension than i'm comfortable with in my forearms to prevent my training partner from naturally trying to use thier reach advantage. I've found that a lot of people do this and to be frank, it really irritates me. In class we're trying to learn, it shouldn't always be a competition.
I know your pain and frustration. I'm 5-7 also and so many (because of the awful you tube videos) think chi sao is fighting or sparring. It is about feeling, maintaining, and controlling with in the flow of punching, countering, trapping. It isn't about attempting to impose my will on my training partner. Chi Sao is not about winning.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A long thread on a wing chun forum on someone who knew only a little bit if wing chun before leaving Hong Kong
for fame and fortune..

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how "chi sao without touching" is done in JKD on the outside?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how "chi sao without touching" is done in JKD on the outside?

The way I understand it from what I have read....haven't learned it directly from a JKD instructor.....is that Bruce was referring to the ability to read an opponent's movements and intentions during the pre-contact phase and react immediately. The ability to adjust your footwork or angling or hand position in relationship to the opponent before he even launches the attack. Or likewise, the ability to bait or "invite" or "fake out" the opponent to set up your own attack.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The way I understand it from what I have read....haven't learned it directly from a JKD instructor.....is that Bruce was referring to the ability to read an opponent's movements and intentions during the pre-contact phase and react immediately. The ability to adjust your footwork or angling or hand position in relationship to the opponent before he even launches the attack. Or likewise, the ability to bait or "invite" or "fake out" the opponent to set up your own attack.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By no means lmited to jkd

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
For anyone who learnt it from their JKD teacher, Please explain how "chi sao without touching" is done. From my understanding it's about using tactics such as the ability to manipulate the opponent's reactions so that you can anticipate exactly where he will move next or what his next move will be, that way you will always be in control of his timing, distance and rhythm because you caused it to occur during the pre-contact phase. What I am trying to figure out is what are some of the tactics used to carry this strategy out.

Last edited:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
For anyone who learnt it from their JKD teacher, Please explain how "chi sao without touching" is done. From my understanding it's about using tactics such as the ability to manipulate the opponent's reactions so that you can anticipate exactly where he will move next or what his next move will be, that way you will always be in control of his timing, distance and rhythm because you caused it to occur during the pre-contact phase. What I am trying to figure out is what are some of the tactics used to carry this strategy out.

I recall reading about something called "attack by drawing." That might be one method of controlling the way the opponent reacts: purposely create what looks like an openin for them to attack. Then you will know what they will do because you intentionally created the opening to "draw" their attention.