Wing Chun Online

OP
V

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Which is why I said if you were 2 hours away from a TWC teacher......and getting the GM Cheung videos. And also why I told the OP to find out what lineage the teacher 2 hours away from him follows and then ask the instructor what videos he would recommend.
The school that is 2 hrs awy is affiliated with the Canadian Wing Chun Kung Fu association. Sifu Brian Lewadny is the head of this association and was a student of Grand Master William Cheung. I will check into the DVD's as well. Appreciate everyone's help.

Reactions: KPM

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! Let's say you live 2 hours from a TWC teacher. So you get GM Cheung's video series that he did for Black Belt Magazine about 10 years ago. So you can see the GM himself explaining how to do things and demonstrating the forms. What better reference can you have to support your hands on training than that???
Are you giving me training suggestions now, KPM? Am I really going to need that WC dummy I want so much? :D

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The school that is 2 hrs awy is affiliated with the Canadian Wing Chun Kung Fu association. Sifu Brian Lewadny is the head of this association and was a student of Grand Master William Cheung. I will check into the DVD's as well. Appreciate everyone's help.

I think Lewadny parted ways with GM Cheung long ago. But I'll bet the training methods and curriculum haven't changed that much!

Amazon.com: Wing Chun Kung Fu Vol. 1 with William M. Cheung: William Cheung, Dan Ivan: Movies & TV

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
No disrespect intended wingjim, but you are wrong. And I know because I have done it quite effectively. It has worked for me when I didn't live close to my teacher. In fact, one of my teachers lives in Hong Kong and I live in the US! I have most certainly learned many good things from video and learned them fairly well. It just takes a little physical talent and some hard work, but it can be done.
KPM, none taken. I would imagine you had a great deal of training before doing remote training. I believe our new friend vince1 indicated he had not learned any WC so the original question was an inquiry about learning online. I tried to learn WC from books and videos but found until I began training with a qualified teacher I only filled my head with unusable knowledge meaning I could not apply a thing. In fact once I talked with my teacher he had little to say about the books I brought him and simply said lets get started. Today he does give me freedom to experiment, not because he is controling, but because he wanted me to learn the basics so I had some substance before he gave me permission to explore myself and my art. So, I must disagree that someone with no prior training can effectively learn a martial art online....key word effectively. I am not saying these are a waste of money because I have ~40 books and 10 or so videos but they are for a new individual.

Jut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely! Let's say you live 2 hours from a TWC teacher. So you get GM Cheung's video series that he did for Black Belt Magazine about 10 years ago. So you can see the GM himself explaining how to do things and demonstrating the forms. What better reference can you have to support your hands on training than that???
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. If one is going to learn from WCheung's video's, you'll definitely need to attend a WCheung school, since Everything he teaches has HIS own stamp, and is NOT found executed that way in any other lineage. His hand forms and Jong form, hand techniques [Huen sau, etc.] are ALL very different from other Ip lineages!
Before the hate male, I didn't say wrong.. I said different. In fact, my lineage is unique.. the 'early' teachings from Ip's private student who left Hong Kong in 1958. It is different and won't be found on Youtube, or anywhere else, for that matter. EG: the form on our 1st jong, has 11 sets and 168 movements.
Anyway, one can only learn the 'very basics' of true WC from video's! It would be like the sighted learning braille from pictures, or learn swimming without water. The chi-sau aspects [not just Phoon sau] of sensitivity training alone, are peppered throughout the system and to learn [feel] that, one 'must' have a partner.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. If one is going to learn from WCheung's video's, you'll definitely need to attend a WCheung school, since Everything he teaches has HIS own stamp, and is NOT found executed that way in any other lineage. .

Which is why I wrote "Let's say you live 2 hours from a TWC teacher." TWC stands for Traditional Wing Chun, which is William Cheung's system. So what I mean by the last sentence is this ......who better to have on video showing basics of the system and the forms than the Grandmaster of the system himself!!!

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. If one is going to learn from WCheung's video's, you'll definitely need to attend a WCheung school, since Everything he teaches has HIS own stamp, and is NOT found executed that way in any other lineage. His hand forms and Jong form, hand techniques [Huen sau, etc.] are ALL very different from other Ip lineages!
Before the hate male, I didn't say wrong.. I said different. In fact, my lineage is unique.. the 'early' teachings from Ip's private student who left Hong Kong in 1958. It is different and won't be found on Youtube, or anywhere else, for that matter. EG: the form on our 1st jong, has 11 sets and 168 movements.
Anyway, one can only learn the 'very basics' of true WC from video's! It would be like the sighted learning braille from pictures, or learn swimming without water. The chi-sau aspects [not just Phoon sau] of sensitivity training alone, are peppered throughout the system and to learn [feel] that, one 'must' have a partner.

Jut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which is why I wrote "Let's say you live 2 hours from a TWC teacher." TWC stands for Traditional Wing Chun, which is William Cheung's system. So what I mean by the last sentence is this ......who better to have on video showing basics of the system and the forms than the Grandmaster of the system himself!!!
That reasoning would be sound, except for two warmly debated points.. the definition of 'Traditional', and WCheung being the 'Grandmaster' of the system. Forgive me, but I just joined this pai yesterday and am not familiar with the depth of your Wing Chun [WC] knowledge.. regarding its history, mainly.
Without getting too deep, there are branches of WC that don't pass through Chan Wah Shun [Ip Man's SiFu], and are adamant that only they have the 'pure', or as you say, Traditional, WC.
As for WCheung being the Grandmaster of the system, I could first ask.. define 'System'. [see above] Another argument is.. where in history did all the other WC masters bestow Ip Man as Grandmaster? The answer is, no one did. That being the case, how could he 'pass down' what he did not have?
For the sake of argument, let's assume IM Was 'Grandmaster'. Before his death, he never passed the WC torch to anyone, and THAT subject.. 'Who is his successor', is hotly debated. Of his two sons, Ching was more involved with his father and his WC teachings than his older brother, Chun.. who, like many young men, had big-time daddy issues with his father, yet many erroneously assume HE was handed the torch.
The fact is, you'll find there is a long list of many 'self-appointed' IM successors.
Something to keep in mind, KPM, Ip Man knew the complete system [which did Not end with the knives] and only taught it to a few! As much as I respect WCheung's abilities, he never learned, for example, the Moi fa Or Tri-podal sets from his SiFu. So KPM.. with this teeny bit of extra intel, who really IS [or should be/have been] Ip Man's successor?

D

Dylan9d

That reasoning would be sound, except for two warmly debated points.. the definition of 'Traditional', and WCheung being the 'Grandmaster' of the system. Forgive me, but I just joined this pai yesterday and am not familiar with the depth of your Wing Chun [WC] knowledge.. regarding its history, mainly.
Without getting too deep, there are branches of WC that don't pass through Chan Wah Shun [Ip Man's SiFu], and are adamant that only they have the 'pure', or as you say, Traditional, WC.
As for WCheung being the Grandmaster of the system, I could first ask.. define 'System'. [see above] Another argument is.. where in history did all the other WC masters bestow Ip Man as Grandmaster? The answer is, no one did. That being the case, how could he 'pass down' what he did not have?
For the sake of argument, let's assume IM Was 'Grandmaster'. Before his death, he never passed the WC torch to anyone, and THAT subject.. 'Who is his successor', is hotly debated. Of his two sons, Ching was more involved with his father and his WC teachings than his older brother, Chun.. who, like many young men, had big-time daddy issues with his father, yet many erroneously assume HE was handed the torch.
The fact is, you'll find there is a long list of many 'self-appointed' IM successors.
Something to keep in mind, KPM, Ip Man knew the complete system [which did Not end with the knives] and only taught it to a few! As much as I respect WCheung's abilities, he never learned, for example, the Moi fa Or Tri-podal sets from his SiFu. So KPM.. with this teeny bit of extra intel, who really IS [or should be/have been] Ip Man's successor?

Maybe it's nice if you would make a post in Meet & Greet before diving head on into the Wing Chun debates.

Then they know who they are talking to and what your background is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Traditional Wing Chun" is what Cheung called his branch of the art - his system. So, when you see someone referring to TWC, they are typically referring specifically to his branch.

Jut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Who would that be
My understanding Vaj is that Ip Man had 5 "private' students while SiFu in Hong Kong. For some reason, Chinese culture perhaps, the names of four were kept under wraps and known by only a couple of his close students/family member.
One of these was a young teen who came from a wealthy family and had studied hung-gar before he began training WC with Ip. After a month or so of training he watched a beimo fight, and although seeing his SiHing win, he wasn't that impressed, as he'd been hit and his nose was bloodied. After expressing his doubts to Ip about what he saw, he took him aside. The tuition for students at that time was $8[HK] per month, and Ip Man asked if he could afford $300 per month and was told, "of coarse!" According to his book, he had A.D.D. and the parents were glad to pay. Ip supposedly said, "Forget what you've learned", showed him a couple of changes, and a light went on.
He trained several hours a day, every day, for five+ years. After the knives, [which he became so proficient, Ip gave him his pair when leaving HK], he then learned the tripodal, [3 sizes] and moi-fa. He became known in the early 60's when he began teaching in NYC. He became better known after kicking the crap out of a very well known student of IP's. His name is Hung Leung.. English name, Duncan Leung.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nothing against Duncan Leung. He is well respected. But your story is pure folklore and unverifiable. People passed on similar tales about my old sifu, and others. Best to take them with a grain of salt. ;)

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with wingchunonline home study course ? I am 2 hours away from the nearest wing chun school and thought I would try an online course.
What are your goals? What are you training for? How many hours a week will you be dedicating to training?

OP
V

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been in touch with a well respected sifu/teacher from Kitchener Ontario Canada 2 hours away. We will be meeting in the very near future(May) at one of his Sunday classes to discuss monthly one on one sessions as well as his dvd series to practice at home. I currently train in Southern Mantis daily at my home gym as well as in class on Saturday mornings for a 1 1/2 hours. My goal is for personal health/well being as well as the brain challenge it may bring. Lastly it is my hope that in the near future I can teach my grandchildren(3 to 4years) . I hope Wing Chun is just as physically and mentally stimulating as the Southern Mantis Kung -Fu I have been studying.

Last edited:

Jut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nothing against Duncan Leung. He is well respected. But your story is pure folklore and unverifiable. People passed on similar tales about my old sifu, and others. Best to take them with a grain of salt. ;)
Which story, Geezer? haha