Wing Chun in Asia. Can you help little old me?

dan_chi_sau

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Hope you're a friendly bunch!
My name's Dan and I would love your help.
Having spent all my 26 years in the UK, I'm now looking to relocate to Asia for a bit towards the end of the year. It started off as wanting to do a bit of travelling but the more I thought about it the more I felt like staying out there for longer.
Anyway Wing Chun has been a big part of my life, only for a few months (although I've studied other martial arts), and the focus it's given me is helping me through a difficult time.
My question to you guys is (and I know it's a difficult one to answer!)...
Within China, Japan & Hong Kong, are there any particular areas or cities where I could find a cluster of good wing chun schools to choose from? I am not too fussed about lineage, although my current Sifu comes from the Ip Man lineage (I believe he studied under Sam Kwok) and I have found everything I've been taught so far practical.
I feel very overwhelmed by the size of Asia so being able to narrow it down based on the probablity of finding a good Wing Chun school will really help. Obviously there are other things I'm looking for in the location but Wing Chun is a large part.
Many thanks for any help you can offer!!!! I hope I can return the favour.
Dan.

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is loads of Wing Chun schools all over Hong Kong from every lineage you could imagine. Some are open to accepting foreigners and some are more closed door to Chinese. I've been back and forth 6 times now and love the place.

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
As mentioned above, HK is kind of an epicenter when it comes to WC. In one area of Kowloon, there are literally 4-5 schools just in a 2 block radius. Foshan in southern China is also, although there are good WC schools all over China. Japan less so, although there are one or two good schools in Tokyo.

www.hongkongreporting.com

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's also Wing Chun in Vietnam as taught by Yuan Chai Wan, bro of Yuan Kai San. AFAIK, Hanoi and Saigon lineages have some differences.

Username Nobody Important trains in some branch of the Vietnamese lineage.

Latest Discussions