Wing Chun in america

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey at what time did wing chunm start to show up in america.

Also was Yip Man at one time the only practioner of the style (you never hear of anyone else)

thanks

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Hey at what time did wing chunm start to show up in america.

Also was Yip Man at one time the only practioner of the style (you never hear of anyone else)

thanks
Did this ever make it to the new posts page??

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Not sure who was the first Wing Chun practicioner to teach it in the USA (its possible it was Bruce Lee I guess) - but are you asking when it first existed in America or when was it first taught to Americans?

Also regarding Wing Chun history & branches see this site www.chusaulei.com ; it lists the other branches of Wing Chun that have nothing to do with the Yip Man lineage.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Toasty said:
Not sure who was the first Wing Chun practicioner to teach it in the USA (its possible it was Bruce Lee I guess) - but are you asking when it first existed in America or when was it first taught to Americans?

Also regarding Wing Chun history & branches see this site www.chusaulei.com ; it lists the other branches of Wing Chun that have nothing to do with the Yip Man lineage.
I guess when it was publically taught to americans

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
No, the system is older than he is.
And lets not forget there are many other lineages and styles of wing chun.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
And lets not forget there are many other lineages and styles of wing chun.

Yeah, thats why I posted Robert Chu's website & stated that it lists other lineages that dont involve Yip Man... LOL

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Toasty said:
Yeah, thats why I posted Robert Chu's website & stated that it lists other lineages that dont involve Yip Man... LOL
Yeah, and thats why I commented to arnisadors post about it refering to lineages pre dating Yip Man.... LOL

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually I was asking more about when Wing Chun got to be popular in the states

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Augustine Fong was teaching Wing Chun in Tucson, Arizona in the early 1970's, specifically 73-74 i believe.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wasnt there a boom in interest in wing chun after Bruce lee's demo at Ed parker's International's??

Harley Quinn

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been reading about wing chun and find it to be a wonderful art for the not so strong and physical, yet quick and agile. I think having a good shadow partner is very important. One who is very pushy and overbearing is such a bore. I was thinking of getting into JKD but since the lawsuit that the Lee family has started I think it would be a waste of time and nonproductive.

As far as how long has it been here. How long have the Chinese been in America? The same could be asked about the Phillipine Arts they have been here many hundred of years yet they have come in vogue just the last 10 years.

Wing chun is very philosophical and I believe way above the average martial artist who feels that brute makes right. As I have read many of the posts in Martial talk and Kenpo talk. I belive most martial artists have missed the real reason for the various Martial arts that have come to America.

Harley

Latest Discussions