Wing Chun GMs

T

tmanifold

I know know wing chun has more GMs than a 14 year old has pimples but how many of them are sort of legit. As in studied under Yip Man? Which didn't?

Also aren't there a couple of lineages that don't include Yip Man?

Tony

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tmanifold

I know know wing chun has more GMs than a 14 year old has pimples but how many of them are sort of legit. As in studied under Yip Man? Which didn't?

Also aren't there a couple of lineages that don't include Yip Man?

Tony

There are more Wing Chun systems than that headed by the late Yip Man. To name a few, there is Yuen-Kay San, Gu Lao, Pan Nam, and others, each with their own respective GMs.

I find it rather humorous that Leung Ting is claiming the title of Great Grandmaster.

Cthulhu

OP
T

theneuhauser

augustine fong is probably going to bow out of the teaching business pretty soon. i dont think anyone ever called him gm, but he is one of few who really deserves it. but he was a student of ho kam ming, who was a student of yip man and i believe that ho kam ming was even reluctant to take the title of si gung, just shows the respect they had for gm ym in a largely unchanged system.

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

It would be very bad for me if Augustine Fong stops teaching!
He's my Sifu!

OP
T

theneuhauser

Originally posted by HarvesterofSorrow

It would be very bad for me if Augustine Fong stops teaching!
He's my Sifu!

do you train directly with him?

when i spoke with him in tucson he told me that he wasnt teaching much anymore, and implied even further, but i shouldnt spread rumors on implications, though.

are you in tucson Harvesterofsorrow? or are you one of his disciples teaching somewhere else?

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

I'm a student of his here in tucson.
:asian:

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

yeah he's cool. really mellow too. Doesn't seem like a guy that could end you in a second if he wanted to.

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

lol, yeah so true. When I first started there I started laughing during the form. When he would say down it sounded more like 'dong.' But he's a really cool guy.

OP
T

theneuhauser

hes defenitely the post master general!!!

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

It tripped me out when I first found out he's a mail man. Like some kind of comicbook hero. Mailman by day, wing chun bad a$$ by night.

OP
T

theneuhauser

too cool:cool:

back on topic, though, there are a few wing chun schools here in phoenix, do you know anything about them? they have various lineages, i assume. there's one called Tufts wing chun near my place. i may try it out for awhile.

harvester, maybe you could ask master fong who he reccomends for wing chun in phoenix?

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

There is a student at the kwoon that wears a Tufts Wing Chun shirt when he trains. Also I've seen a plaque or something with a picture on the wall from Tufts. I'll ask sifu when I get the chance.

OP
T

tmanifold

The one thing about this wing chun dilemma is that it makes you feel a little bit better about the Japanese style of children or adopted children inheiriting a system regardless of skill. Take Aikido for example, K. Ueshiba is Grandmaster of Aikido, regardless of his skill level. For sure there were others with greater skill, (Shirata sensei jumps to mind) but K. Ueshiba was Moriehi ueshiba's son, and that was that. (I understand there were times when he wasn't the heir apparent but..) In fact most of the Uchi deshi stayed loyal to the son of the founder making it easy to find the aikido closest to the founders idea.

Maybe the fact that something like wing chun is so old that it can not be so simple. Are these styles of wing chun that differnet? Maybe on par with the differences in different styles of Karate? Do these lineages of Wing chun compare to different karate styles?

Tony

OP
H

HarvesterofSorrow

Yes there are many different styles of Wing Chun and most, though not all, can be traced back to Yip Man. There is Red Boat or something like that, Vietnam has a branch of Wing Chun, snake and crane, Hung Fa Yi or somethinorother.
I dont understand when you ask if they compare to other karate styles. please clarify.
Thanx:asian:

OP
T

tmanifold

To clarify:

Since Wingchun is so old is saying Wingchun analagous to saying Karate. When one says Karate one gets a picture in his head, this picture is generally pretty close even though there are many different styles. In other words is better to talk about x style Wingchun as opposed to Wingchun style Kung Fu.

Tony

Latest Discussions