Wing Chun Boxing

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jowgawolf: Maybe this will be a little clearer? About mid-way through this clip I do the "blast" as well. The heel is up because it is essentially a forward rush.

I watched the video without sound and what I saw in it was what I've been saying. Toes weighted versus heels up. when a punch was fired the heel went up and returned to a toe weighted position. I didn't watch the hands. I only watched the footwork. I'll watch it again with sound when I get a chance.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------------
Frankly and unfortunately I dont see either boxingor wing chun in that clip.And the partner just stands there

Do you ever have anything positive to say? My partner was meant to just stand there. It was a demo of basic technique, not a sparring session. :rolleyes:

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched the video without sound and what I saw in it was what I've been saying. Toes weighted versus heels up. when a punch was fired the heel went up and returned to a toe weighted position. I didn't watch the hands. I only watched the footwork. I'll watch it again with sound when I get a chance.

Well yeah. Like I said, the "blast" is a forward rush to overwhelm the opponent. The power comes from the forward momentum.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you ever have anything positive to say? My partner was meant to just stand there. It was a demo of basic technique, not a sparring session. :rolleyes:
Next time put a rating on you video. D=demo. C = concept discussion.

Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jowgawolf: Maybe this will be a little clearer? About mid-way through this clip I do the "blast" as well. The heel is up because it is essentially a forward rush.

I would consider both feet with toes forwards.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
You know, that wasn't bad. Every now and then something that looks like wit pokes out of you.

So either - You act retarded on purpose as some sort of trolling smoke screen or..

You have some sort of severe dyslexia that causes you to both to not understand anything you read and not be understood when you write.

I'd call it 50/50 odds at this point.

Hey man I tod you I got dyslexia. Dpnt stop the brain working tho!

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey KPM what up?

For a positive thing to say it is awesome that you and your training partner are out there utilizing a seemingly underused area of your community to get some exercise, get some film in, and raise awareness of wing chun and boxing.

Having studied both arts, boxing has elbow down punches, but that doesn't make them wing chun punches. And similar vice versa trying to combine them. The main problem here is the underlying engine. Boxing has a rotational engine to produce power, as opposed to wing chun's body engine which is different in nature.

Thanks.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main problem here is the underlying engine. Boxing has a rotational engine to produce power, as opposed to wing chun's body engine which is different in nature.

Thanks.

Absolutely agree! And that is a point I have tried to explain to people in the past that often goes right over their collective heads! ;) So "Wing Chun Boxing" uses that Boxing engine or biomechanic as the base, and adds various Wing Chun methods to it. Very similarly, Panantukan uses that Boxing engine as a base and has added FMA methods to it...such a limb destructions, joint-locks, etc. Boxing is a time-tested and proven fighting system. So it just makes sense to use it as a base and see how we can adapt and "stretch it" a bit. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey KPM what up?

For a positive thing to say it is awesome that you and your training partner are out there utilizing a seemingly underused area of your community to get some exercise, get some film in, and raise awareness of wing chun and boxing.

Having studied both arts, boxing has elbow down punches, but that doesn't make them wing chun punches. And similar vice versa trying to combine them. The main problem here is the underlying engine. Boxing has a rotational engine to produce power, as opposed to wing chun's body engine which is different in nature.

Thanks.

And yet is indistinguishable from western punching in application.

Seriously when chun is throwing overhand rights. They are comparable in concept to boxing.

Sorry but let's just suggest right here that this as a flat statement is a load of balls.

And suggest that wing Chun concepts don't actually start or end anywhere except in the imagination of the practitioner.

That you are not training inside or outside the box.

THERE IS NO BOX!

So you take any concept you want and mesh it with any other concept you want. And create a stronger system.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely agree! And that is a point I have tried to explain to people in the past that often goes right over their collective heads! ;) So "Wing Chun Boxing" uses that Boxing engine or biomechanic as the base, and adds various Wing Chun methods to it. Very similarly, Panantukan uses that Boxing engine as a base and has added FMA methods to it...such a limb destructions, joint-locks, etc. Boxing is a time-tested and proven fighting system. So it just makes sense to use it as a base and see how we can adapt and "stretch it" a bit. :)

Just make sure you don't reach to to find a target and instead footwork into position. This will reduce your rotational movement. And make your attacking and defensive structure tighter.

Also adopt the amateur boxing concept of elbows forward and front on stance so you can use both hands to make trapping easier.

Look at kostya tzu.

I mean you will still get mashed by an equal fighter who is engaging you with his head off center because he doesn't have to waste resources attacking and defending with his hands. He can just attack with both hands and defend with movement.

But it will look more like chun than Alan Oor

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait a damn second you shifty people. I just caught on.

Slipping is rotational. Ducking and weaving is rotational. You can't do either of those defences without adopting rotational movement.

You do rotational movement.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

this was a while back but the smaller blond guy is called the Danimal. He came from a very traditional ammy boxing style. And you can see how he is much more chunnish than say a pro boxer you may be used to.

Greg Saunders

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score

Got what you are trying to do. I don't try to do that because rotational motions tend to abandon centerline and are slower.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
And yet is indistinguishable from western punching in application.

Seriously when chun is throwing overhand rights. They are comparable in concept to boxing.

Sorry but let's just suggest right here that this as a flat statement is a load of balls.

And suggest that wing Chun concepts don't actually start or end anywhere except in the imagination of the practitioner.

That you are not training inside or outside the box.

THERE IS NO BOX!

So you take any concept you want and mesh it with any other concept you want. And create a stronger system.

Kind of not sure where to start with this.

Is this some kind of negative dig against inside vs. outside the box fighting?

I mean if you don't recognize a box in your wing chun practice that is your business.

Your alternative is to mix any two concepts together and create a stronger system?

OK I'll play. Let's mix Steven Seagal aikido with yellow bamboo and call it yellow aikido. So much stronger than either component art.

Your turn.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kind of not sure where to start with this.

Is this some kind of negative dig against inside vs. outside the box fighting?

I mean if you don't recognize a box in your wing chun practice that is your business.

Your alternative is to mix any two concepts together and create a stronger system?

OK I'll play. Let's mix Steven Seagal aikido with yellow bamboo and call it yellow aikido. So much stronger than either component art.

Your turn.

It is steven segals aikido and yellow bamboo.

How could you make it worse?

You look at this concept backwards. Ok. Mabye this will work as an explaination.

We have fruit and we have vegatables so to make a fruit salad we add different fruit.

Well a tomato is a fruit so it has to go in fruit salad. A banana is a herb so it doesn't go in the fruit salad.

If we try to define reality by our imposed concept we get a terrible tasting fruit salad.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yellow Aiki-boo? Where do I sign up? Sounds more fun than boxing without a box!

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is steven segals aikido and yellow bamboo.

How could you make it worse?

You look at this concept backwards. Ok. Mabye this will work as an explaination.

We have fruit and we have vegatables so to make a fruit salad we add different fruit.

Well a tomato is a fruit so it has to go in fruit salad. A banana is a herb so it doesn't go in the fruit salad.

If we try to define reality by our imposed concept we get a terrible tasting fruit salad.

It's cool man I think I get your tomato banana salad idea.

Which imposed concept?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's cool man I think I get your tomato banana salad idea.

Which imposed concept?

It is all imposed idea. We do this, we don't do that. Which makes us chun or boxing or whatever.

None of it is real. It is all just a description of real.

I really thought the ref was going to let that go for a second.

Last edited:

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is all imposed idea. We do this, we don't do that. Which makes us chun or boxing or whatever.

None of it is real. It is all just a description of real.

I really thought the ref was going to let that go for a second.

Yes looking at that video it is hard to see the distinction between that contest, a boxing contest, or an amateur MMA contest.

I mean except for the helmets and all.

At first I thought I was watching slap fights at a motorcycle rally LOL :)

Latest Discussions