Wing Chun Book Information

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yeah, this is a different book showing the 116 movement dummy form as taught by Leung Ting's WT organization. Really, it was put together by Leung Ting, even though Yip Chun is listed as the author, and is shown in a a few pictures posing on the dummy interspersed with the old photos of his father, GM Yip Man, in order to fill out the longer 116 movement set. Also, a few movements in the sequence have been altered from the way Leung Ting actually taught them.

Nevertheless, it's closer to the way I learned the form from LT that anything else out there, including the little blue book he sells showing himself doing the 116 movement form. That one has smaller, fuzzier photos, and like the earlier bronze-colored book mentioned above, also has some altered sections. Different ones. Those old Chinese sifus are really cagey that way! ;)

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Geezer do you have any of the books on the Chi Sao sections?
Just the ones by Leung Ting purchased through Wing Lam Enterprises. They don't really do me all that much good. I'm not great at translating information from books to physical action. I generally do better looking at my own notes. And I'd love to have some good video of the chi-sau sections as we do them, but nothing beats good training partners. And that's been a problem. Especially with WT politics...

Never heard of another sport or activity where if you train with a different coach nobody will play with you! :confused:

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just the ones by Leung Ting purchased through Wing Lam Enterprises. They don't really do me all that much good. I'm not great at translating information from books to physical action. I generally do better looking at my own notes. And I'd love to have some good video of the chi-sau sections as we do them, but nothing beats good training partners. And that's been a problem. Especially with WT politics...

Never heard of another sport or activity where if you train with a different coach nobody will play with you! :confused:

Bring them with you when you come to Texas bro. I'd love to check them out. As far as videos of the Chi Sao sections, I have both the EWTO and IWTA versions. Or we can make some more vids when you get here.

BTW I don't know if you're on FB or not, but I just posted the event for our next annual WT beach retreat. I'm not sure if I can make a post about it here or not though; I seem to remember posting about one of our seminars and admins deleted my post.

danada

White Belt
Reaction score
Back starting in 1971, I was one of Arthur Chan's original students in Amherst, MA in 1971 where he was a U of M student. I left the area and his tutelage in 1975. I found those 2 red & gold dummy books in LA Chinatown years later, and have them still. Arthur Chan was a serious teacher, small in stature but ready to bring it. He was very old school about teaching gradually, developing sensitivity and grounded stance, etc., and not teaching above a student's "security clearance" level, yet still apparently some back at his school in HK thought he was teaching too many things to the undeserving too fast- it might have been because our group got a photo spread in a HK "Martial Hero" magazine. And perhaps it was an even more xenophobic era, when some WC diehards were annoyed that Bruce Lee didn't attend Ip Man's funeral, and the kung fu magazines cranked up misinformation, style vendettas and lineage rivalries like social media does today. I lost track of Sifu Chan after the Amherst school closed later in the 1970's. I heard a rumor he went to work as a chemical engineer at IBM in NY state, and honor him as my seed sifu. I started a ground up rebuild of my WC in the SF Bay Area starting with Eddie Chong and then his teacher Ken Chung, and now consider myself rooted in the Leung Sheung lineage. I once saw a classic seated group photo of a Wing Chun gathering of a Macau-based Leung Sheung group, with Leung Sheung seated in front with his senior students around him, and there was a young looking Arthur Chan standing with the shorter guys in the back row.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back starting in 1971, I was one of Arthur Chan's original students in Amherst, MA in 1971 where he was a U of M student. I left the area and his tutelage in 1975. I found those 2 red & gold dummy books in LA Chinatown years later, and have them still. Arthur Chan was a serious teacher, small in stature but ready to bring it. He was very old school about teaching gradually, developing sensitivity and grounded stance, etc., and not teaching above a student's "security clearance" level, yet still apparently some back at his school in HK thought he was teaching too many things to the undeserving too fast- it might have been because our group got a photo spread in a HK "Martial Hero" magazine. And perhaps it was an even more xenophobic era, when some WC diehards were annoyed that Bruce Lee didn't attend Ip Man's funeral, and the kung fu magazines cranked up misinformation, style vendettas and lineage rivalries like social media does today. I lost track of Sifu Chan after the Amherst school closed later in the 1970's. I heard a rumor he went to work as a chemical engineer at IBM in NY state, and honor him as my seed sifu. I started a ground up rebuild of my WC in the SF Bay Area starting with Eddie Chong and then his teacher Ken Chung, and now consider myself rooted in the Leung Sheung lineage. I once saw a classic seated group photo of a Wing Chun gathering of a Macau-based Leung Sheung group, with Leung Sheung seated in front with his senior students around him, and there was a young looking Arthur Chan standing with the shorter guys in the back row.
I can confirm Arthur was legit. 50 year old local newspaper legit. Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Latest Discussions