Wing Chun Book Information

Karen

White Belt
Reaction score
Just starting this thread to see if anyone in the community can shed some light on a couple of books that I have.
I've been researching some of my collection and as of yet have found next to no information on my "Wooden Dummy Techniques" part 1 and 2 (1976 & 1977) Both written by Chun Yip and Jing Yip, it's my understanding that these were printed in these years and then, there after combined into one book "116 Wing Tsun Dummy Techniques as Demonstrated by Grand Master Yip Man".

Can anyone verify this or has anyone else come across these books?

Any info is appreciated.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^ I've had this book for a long time. But I wasn't aware that it started out as 2 different books that were later combined, or that Ip Ching had anything to do with it. This was actually a book put out by Leung Ting. It took photos from old 8mm footage of Ip Man going through the forms shortly before his death, and supplemented missing parts of the sequence with photos of Ip Chun.

OP
K

Karen

White Belt
Reaction score
That is the book edited by Leung Ting and the author is said to be Yip Chun. It's very hard to find much information on the original books which were written by Ip Man's sons and translated by Arthur Chan..... These are the ones I'm talking about. IMG_1818.jpg

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ Yes, interesting! I haven't seen those before or even mentioned until you posted here. Must have been a very limited printing run.

OP
K

Karen

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply KPM, as I said previously, I haven't found much information about them or anyone that has seen then either. I'll keep looking though.
Always interesting find the origins of these types of books....definitely up there with some great titles I have!

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a pretty good collection myself. One of my prized books is the one by Rolf Clausnitzer. One of the first Wing Chun books published.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a pretty good collection myself. One of my prized books is the one by Rolf Clausnitzer. One of the first Wing Chun books published.

Title?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

"Wing Chun Kung Fu" by Rolph Clausnitzer in collaboration with Greco Wong, Crompton 1969

Another early series that I have is:

"Secret Techniques of Wing Chun Kung Fu" Vol 1, 2, & 3 by K.T. Chao and J.E. Weakland, Crompton 1976

Crompton was a publisher from London. All 4 of the books were printed in the UK.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Wing Chun Kung Fu" by Rolph Clausnitzer in collaboration with Greco Wong, Crompton 1969

Another early series that I have is:

"Secret Techniques of Wing Chun Kung Fu" Vol 1, 2, & 3 by K.T. Chao and J.E. Weakland, Crompton 1976

Crompton was a publisher from London. All 4 of the books were printed in the UK.

Cool...thank you!

OP
K

Karen

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes KPM, I have that one too....
Jesse Glover's "Bruce Lee" and "Bruce Lee's Non-Classical Gung Fu" (both first editions) are both favourites in my collection.

Viper5194

White Belt
Reaction score
Just starting this thread to see if anyone in the community can shed some light on a couple of books that I have.
I've been researching some of my collection and as of yet have found next to no information on my "Wooden Dummy Techniques" part 1 and 2 (1976 & 1977) Both written by Chun Yip and Jing Yip, it's my understanding that these were printed in these years and then, there after combined into one book "116 Wing Tsun Dummy Techniques as Demonstrated by Grand Master Yip Man".

Can anyone verify this or has anyone else come across these books?

Any info is appreciated.

Karen, just happened upon this post while searching Google. I realize it's an old post but I too have these books and did a bit of research on them. Arthur Chan was a student of Ip Man as well as the editor of this book. The part one of the book was limited due to the majority of them being destroyed in a flood, in the garage of Arthur Chan. As I was told, maybe 10 to 12 copies survived the flood. I obtained my first copy of part 1 from a Neuro surgeon out of Michigan who trained for a short time under Arthur Chan, and was given a copy of part 1 as payment for him helping Arthur clean up the flooded garage. The seller of my book actually threw boxes of part 1 away due to flood damage. I believe the story to be true based on minimal water damage to my first copy and rusty staples holding the binding together.

About two years after obtaining my first copy, I sourced a second part one off Amazon by chance. It too had rusty staples and minimal water damage. I also later was able to obtain a part 2. Just as in your pictures.

I continued and still do to this day, to search for more info. I found a review of these two books online stating the were one of the three earliest books sets to be released in the US on wing chun and are nearly as rare as an original copy of Bruce Lee's Gungfu which sells for 5 to 10k us dollars. That should tell you what a treasure these are to own. You quit possibly have one of only three paired sets of these books that I've seen. I have two part 1, and one part 2 copies. You have a set, and ive only seen one other set sell on eBay years ago for a rather large dollar figure. Hang onto them. They are true rarities.

Wing Chun Wooden Dummy Techniques

Link to write up I found online about these books.

Reactions: KPM

Karen1

White Belt
Reaction score
Karen, just happened upon this post while searching Google. I realize it's an old post but I too have these books and did a bit of research on them. Arthur Chan was a student of Ip Man as well as the editor of this book. The part one of the book was limited due to the majority of them being destroyed in a flood, in the garage of Arthur Chan. As I was told, maybe 10 to 12 copies survived the flood. I obtained my first copy of part 1 from a Neuro surgeon out of Michigan who trained for a short time under Arthur Chan, and was given a copy of part 1 as payment for him helping Arthur clean up the flooded garage. The seller of my book actually threw boxes of part 1 away due to flood damage. I believe the story to be true based on minimal water damage to my first copy and rusty staples holding the binding together.

About two years after obtaining my first copy, I sourced a second part one off Amazon by chance. It too had rusty staples and minimal water damage. I also later was able to obtain a part 2. Just as in your pictures.

I continued and still do to this day, to search for more info. I found a review of these two books online stating the were one of the three earliest books sets to be released in the US on wing chun and are nearly as rare as an original copy of Bruce Lee's Gungfu which sells for 5 to 10k us dollars. That should tell you what a treasure these are to own. You quit possibly have one of only three paired sets of these books that I've seen. I have two part 1, and one part 2 copies. You have a set, and ive only seen one other set sell on eBay years ago for a rather large dollar figure. Hang onto them. They are true rarities.

Wing Chun Wooden Dummy Techniques

Link to write up I found online about these books.

Hi Viper5194,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I found your information very interesting and I definitely realise that these two little books are rarities. Part 1 of my set doesn't have any water damage to the cover or any of the pages, but the staples are a bit rusted. I'm not sure if that is due to age or not though.
I have previously read the write up you linked as it is pretty much the only information that I have found on the internet.

I was lucky enough to get these in my fathers extensive collection that he passed along to me and I love them! I have many first edition books from many different styles and arts but these are my favourite and most elusive when it comes to learning more about their origins. And I've always wondered how they ended up on the east coast of Australia!

I'll keep searching and hopefully learn much more!

Thanks again

Tomg8

White Belt
Reaction score
I bought my book (the foil cover in the photo Karen posted) from Arthur Chan. He had a school in Amherst, MA where I learned and eventually taught. When the school close I went into TKD for a while, but missed Wing Chun. I went out to AZ for a seminar by Grandmaster Leung Ting at the US Wing Tsun headquarters. I was told to bring my old uniform with me if I had it, I did. Sifu recognized it and acknowledged the teacher from the Chinese school. He asked who my teacher was and when I mentioned Arthur Chan, he became excited and asked where he was as Ip Man's sons were looking for him, and I don't think it was in his favor. Something about the photo's in the book. I did receive a letter from him to say hello and he was in LA. I see on another board there's a couple of people from the old school, but couldn't make contact.

Latest Discussions