Wing Chun and mma.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, f#ck crunch and punch drills. Seriously.

#gonnadie

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how things flower when they're not limited by lack of pressure, range, methodology and dogma? Welcome to the wider world Martial D. As you continue lifting the veil placed over Wing Chun by others, more and more will come to light. Best of luck in your training.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am more convinced than ever that there was a WC at some point that was a lot more dangerous than what we know as WC today. There are just too many hidden gold nuggets for that to not be the case.

I'd put money on the fact that there was never a more dangerous version, just people who understand fighting and thus better understood how to use the wing chun they had.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd put money on the fact that there was never a more dangerous version, just people who understand fighting and thus better understood how to use the wing chun they had.
Maybe...maybe.

But yet we understand fighting now, the science of it, better than any other time in (known) history.

I think something was lost over time, possibly in the training methods. Something I am doing my damnedest to reattain.

Anyway, on another note I had to skip training last night as I messed up my toes kicking a pad monday (Lol@me)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe...maybe.

But yet we understand fighting now, the science of it, better than any other time in (known) history.

I think something was lost over time, possibly in the training methods. Something I am doing my damnedest to reattain.

Anyway, on another note I had to skip training last night as I messed up my toes kicking a pad monday (Lol@me)

If you can wear wrestling shoes get some. That way you could jits or something with hurty toe.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Made some sort of breakthough tonight. I guess my body is adapting to these new ranges and types of movements? At the end of class I wasn't tired. Soaked with sweat sure, like every time, but not tired. Ended up just me and the teacher for the jitz afterword, and after that we ended up stand up sparring for a couple rounds. Sparring with a(n) (ex)pro fighter is another world man, but I surprised him with a few things he hadn't ever seen before. As an example after slipping a cross(he's ortho and im south) I caught him with a lop/punch to the outside gate. I didn't try to do it, it just sort of happened during the flow. But it worked.

Excellent :)

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe...maybe.

Yes, "we" understand fighting, but do "they" understand fighting.

It's the age old TMA issue. Without open competition and/or a culture of saving face there's not enough opportunity for many folks to learn what they don't know.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So last night we did this entry drill that was parry, circle parrying hand inward to grab bicep as you step in and grab the trap with other hand. This gives you arm control and puts you in position to knee to the body.
I smiled when he demoed it. After a minute, he asks if I've done this before, as I seemed to have it down right away.

Sort of.

So i say "pak sau, jum sau,huen sau, lop sau."

He looked at me funny.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 2 weeks at an MMA gym. The instructor blends Karate, Muay Thai, BJJ, and boxing into his curriculum. He’s heavy on sparring and i have to say that’s the only way you really learn how to fight against trained opponents and learn what works and doesn’t work. Rotation against everyone there is good too bc you get variety.

He likes karate blocks for when you can’t get out of the way. I haven’t attended any of the BJJ classes yet. I’ve never been interested in ground stuff but it’s so effective. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve never been interested in ground stuff but it’s so effective. :)
It's not that hard to have interest in ground game.

1. Obtain your opponent's leading leg.
2. Sweep/hook his other leg and take him down,
3. Drop your knee into his groin, or twist his leg, sit on his back, and apply knee bar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 2 weeks at an MMA gym. The instructor blends Karate, Muay Thai, BJJ, and boxing into his curriculum. He’s heavy on sparring and i have to say that’s the only way you really learn how to fight against trained opponents and learn what works and doesn’t work. Rotation against everyone there is good too bc you get variety.

He likes karate blocks for when you can’t get out of the way. I haven’t attended any of the BJJ classes yet. I’ve never been interested in ground stuff but it’s so effective. :)

As i keep saying. You wont like it untill you see results.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not that hard to have interest in ground game.

1. Obtain your opponent's leading leg.
2. Sweep/hook his other leg and take him down,
3. Drop your knee into his groin, or twist his leg, sit on his back, and apply knee bar.

I don't know anything about ground fighting. May take a beginner BJJ class next week to mix it up.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
....you always get that one guy that too that wants to really go at it which forces you to adapt to their intensity level and hopefully doesn’t get out of control lol. There is a lot of feeling out with sparring.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
....you always get that one guy that too that wants to really go at it which forces you to adapt to their intensity level and hopefully doesn’t get out of control lol. There is a lot of feeling out with sparring.
For me that guy is a 53 year oldex pro Mt guy. He says he isn't going full out, but the purple bruises on my ribs tell another tale.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny bc the guy where I am going is probably mid 50’s too if I had to guess. But he was not a pro. Just an old bruiser lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You need that to get a realistic assesment of what is high percentage and what isn't.

That is where hand trapping for example almost goes out the window. Exept for concepts like clinch work or where they fence.

It is the new guys who go full out that i gain a lot of resource from because in theory my martial arts should be better than theirs.

But that depends on what I have been spending my time developing.I have been manhandled by strong agressive guys with no martial arts. Mostly due to where I put my priorities.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you’d have to be very fast and be fighting someme slow for trapping to even work when I think about it. I can’t apply trapping in the situations I’ve been in. If I tried it I think I’d get taken to the ground with these guys bc they all know BJJ. So I maintain distance as much as possible.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you’d have to be very fast and be fighting someme slow for trapping to even work when I think about it. I can’t apply trapping in the situations I’ve been in. If I tried it I think I’d get taken to the ground with these guys bc they all know BJJ. So I maintain distance as much as possible.

OK. If they John Jones you. In which I mean they fence a hand out in to your face and leave it there. You can hand trap.

Which will at least be a cool trick

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've found I can get my trapping game going sometimes off the slip if the other guy wants to crowd me. It's always a short game though, like to set up or as part of a combo. It doesn't look anything like my sifus' trapping that's for sure.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always found the important skill to get to use trapping was bridging which it's self is a function of footwork and timing.

Latest Discussions