Why Would Someone Not Go To The IKC`S?

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The IKC's just celebrated their 40th Anniversary. There are very few if any Martial Arts events that have that longevity. The IKC's were around long before all these instructors started teaching seminars and hosting camps. I have nothing against the Gathering Of Eagles but since it is a Bi-Annual event and it is uncertain if there will be another one why not support somethig that help Kenpo grow.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
The IKC's just celebrated their 40th Anniversary. There are very few if any Martial Arts events that have that longevity. The IKC's were around long before all these instructors started teaching seminars and hosting camps. I have nothing against the Gathering Of Eagles but since it is a Bi-Annual event and it is uncertain if there will be another one why not support somethig that help Kenpo grow.

I too, have nothing against either event, and in addition, I've never attended either event. The GoE event can be used as just one example here. While DKL mentioned that event, you'll notice that I mentioned ANY seminar/camp, Kenpo related.

Again, I'll say that I think that any time you get a bunch of Kenpoists together, its a great time. I believe what DLK was simply saying was you'd get more from a seminar/camp.

Mike

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[Personally, I'd rather see ten more Gathering of Eagles than a tournament, at least you're getting information and contrast to your art rather than a trophy to take home and gather dust. Knowledge doesn't get dusty, and you don't have to put it on a shelf, you can actually use it when you display it.

DarK LorD[/QUOTE]

Greetings DLK,
On Friday night Mr. Pick, Mr. White, Mr. Planas, & Mr. Tatum all gave seminars. They were consecutive in presentation. You could stay in one room and get 4 hours of instruction from some of the best in Kenpo. Then join the Line run by Paul Dye and try out what you learned or show what you got. This event is so much more than just a tournament. We had gatherings after events where we got to talk to and pick the brains of some of the best in the Kenpo community. On the floor of the tournament at any given time were half of the people in the Journey willing greet meet and talk. So if the only agenda is the gospel of Kenpo then come next year and fill your kenpo cup. These guys are not going to be around forever!

K

Kenpomachine

Marcus Buonfiglio said:
On Friday night Mr. Pick, Mr. White, Mr. Planas, & Mr. Tatum all gave seminars. They were consecutive in presentation. You could stay in one room and get 4 hours of instruction from some of the best in Kenpo.
Now, I'M JEALOUS!!!!!

If they could only repeat it next year in Ireland... I'm gonna try to be there.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Very Simply,

Money, I don't have any. I would have loved to attended the event. Last year we went to the Boston event, and the cost was about $250 per person, which is not that bad. The flight to LA would cost me that much. I will make it, hopefully in the next two or three years.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seig said:
Very Simply,

Money, I don't have any. I would have loved to attended the event. Last year we went to the Boston event, and the cost was about $250 per person, which is not that bad. The flight to LA would cost me that much. I will make it, hopefully in the next two or three years.
Like Seig says, it all about the green and of course time!!!! Went to last year's in Boston, great fun! Hope to get to a few more kenpo events this year.

Good Journey

Kenpo Mama :ultracool

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it comes down to "the green stuff" for me too. There are so many seminars, camps, & tournaments that I would love to attend that happening all over the country/world. I changed Kenpo schools this year, which has made this a challenging year not just emotionally but financially as well. I'm only a colored belt, but my personal opinion is that anytime we can be together, whether it is a camp, seminar, or a tournament, is a gift--one that we should not take for granted. I agree with Mr. Sepulveda, who says that it's all about "making memories."

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marcus Buonfiglio said:
The thing that perplexes me is why other events are scheduled at the same time. Last year there was a competing event that pulled competitors away from the IKC. This year a Kenpo seminar was scheduled on the same weekend by another Kenpo senior and supported by several other ranking Kenpoists. It is my understanding that even though Mr. Trejo offered at no charge a place at his event to hold their event and come together under the same roof; it was, for what ever reason, refused. Is there a communication problem or is there some petty political B.S. that is preventing this coming together on a once a year basis. If it is a communication problem then the promoters need to step up their advertisement and send out promo to all the schools and heads of the various organizations ASAP. If it is political in nature then it is my opinion that those with specific grievances should be man or woman enough to put aside their differences, get over it for a weekend and lend your support to Mr. Trejo. Come join the rest of us on that weekend when we pay homage to the man that gave all of us such a wonderful gift and at least ONCE a year get along.

Let's just get straight to the point instead of talking around the subject. Your understanding of this situation does not line up with the facts. The intimation of this post is that the IKCA scheduled the West Coast Kenpo Confederation at the same time as Frank Trejo's Internationals intentionally and refused to cooperate. This simply is not the case. The booking to reserve the venue for the WCKC was a year before the event. Anyone even remotely familiar with the the IKCA knows they strive to hold their event on the last weekend in July each year. In fact, in 2003 the IKCA went out of their way to support the Internationals. The statement that the IKCA was given a chance to be a part of the Internationals thereby combining the event, is blatantly untrue regardless of who made the statement. This offer would have had to have been made VERY early in the planning stages. Chuck Sullivan himself made the comment that it was unfortunate that both events ended up on the same day. "Anybody who is a part of Kenpo would have to be stupid to intentionally schedule these events on the same day." Preparations are already being made for next year and Mr. Sullivan is doing his best to make sure it doesn't happen again, for the sake of everybody. Chalk it up to experience and move on. Hopefully things will be coordinated better this time. Both events are successful, may they both remain that way.

In the mean time, sniping posts such as the one quoted hear have no place. To state how you wish for things not to be political in Kenpo while at the same time pointing fingers and talk about being "man or woman enough" is doing nothing more than stirring the pot. Prefacing your comments with "If it's a communication problem..." and then launching into your other comments doesn't make it right either. Mr. Buonfiglio, I enjoy reading your post as they are usually quite informative, but next time make sure you have the facts and a proper understanding, and leave the political comments out of the picture. They don't become you.

Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute
IKCA Member

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off, thank you for your reply and setting the record straight.

“The intimation of this post is that the IKCA scheduled the West Coast Kenpo Confederation at the same time as Frank Trejo's Internationals intentionally and refused to cooperate. This simply is not the case. The booking to reserve the venue for the WCKC was a year before the event. Anyone even remotely familiar with the the IKCA knows they strive to hold their event on the last weekend in July each year. In fact, in 2003 the IKCA went out of their way to support the Internationals. The statement that the IKCA was given a chance to be a part of the Internationals thereby combining the event, is blatantly untrue regardless of who made the statement. This offer would have had to have been made VERY early in the planning stages.”

In rereading my post I can certainly see that that conclusion could be reached. I did not word it very well and ran my sentences on. My question though was an honest one from an outside observation perspective. I couldn’t see why this would happen and the only two reasons I could come up with was either political or promotional which I stated. I have heard nothing but good things about Mr. Trejo and Mr. Sullivan but made no assumptions concerning the inner workings of their relationship. You have a better understanding of the workings of the IKCA and I thank you for sharing your insight.

"Is there a communication problem or is there some petty political B.S. that is preventing this coming together on a once a year basis. If it is a communication problem then the promoters need to step up their advertisement and send out promo to all the schools and heads of the various organizations ASAP. If it is political in nature then it is my opinion that those with specific grievances should be man or woman enough to put aside their differences, get over it for a weekend and lend your support to Mr. Trejo."

Mr. Parsons, this statement is where I screwed up when I said I was running my sentences together. I should have started this as a new paragraph and prefaced it with.
“ The above paragraph is an example of my confusion. Many other heads of organizations and their students were conspicuously absent in their support of the IKC’s”

It is why I said “man or woman enough to put aside their differences…” I did not intentionally mean to pick on the IKCA or Mr. Sullivan who I hold in high regard and I apologize for my statements and poor command of sentence structure that led to that conclusion.

To state how you wish for things not to be political in Kenpo while at the same time pointing fingers and talk about being "man or woman enough" is doing nothing more than stirring the pot.

Where as I stated previously I didn’t mean to point fingers I did mean to stir the pot a bit. I think it takes a bigger man or woman to overcome their petty political B.S. and commit to a better cause. By that I mean take the focus off of yourself and consider the benefit to your students. Their problem with someone else should not prevent their students from enjoying the fine event that this is shaping up to be.

I enjoy reading your post as they are usually quite informative, but next time make sure you have the facts and a proper understanding, and leave the political comments out of the picture.

You forgot to add “and a better command of what you are trying to say” :). As far as “leaving the political comments out of the picture” I most always do as I generally prefer to talk technical rather than political; however I will if I feel it is necessary, but with a future eye to saying exactly what I mean so there is no confusion.

If you would be kind enough to explain to Mr. Sullivan that if there was offence in what I wrote it was not intentional. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to future discourse.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Buonfiglio,

Thank you for your explanation and your thoughtful response.

Where as I stated previously I didn’t mean to point fingers I did mean to stir the pot a bit. I think it takes a bigger man or woman to overcome their petty political B.S. and commit to a better cause. By that I mean take the focus off of yourself and consider the benefit to your students. Their problem with someone else should not prevent their students from enjoying the fine event that this is shaping up to be.

It is my wish that the Kenpo community would feel this way about both of these dynamic events. The Internationals are a great reflection on the legacy of Mr. Parker and the desire of Kenpoists to continue this legacy. We must remember that moving to the future should always be complemented by honoring the past.

This was its inaugural year in its current format for the The West Coast Kenpo Confederation. Developing out of the annual IKCA Long Beach Tournament and Seminar, it is already evident that this event looks to the future in Kenpo and how we will relate to each other as Kenpoists across association lines with a taste of how we as Kenpoists will relate to other martial artists across style lines.

Both events should be on "must attend" of any serious Kenpoist.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

K

KenpoNoChikara

Marcus Buonfiglio said:
It was good to see that you and your students support the IKC. The thing that perplexes me is why other events are scheduled at the same time. Last year there was a competing event that pulled competitors away from the IKC. This year a Kenpo seminar was scheduled on the same weekend by another Kenpo senior and supported by several other ranking Kenpoists. It is my understanding that even though Mr. Trejo offered at no charge a place at his event to hold their event and come together under the same roof; it was, for what ever reason, refused. Is there a communication problem or is there some petty political B.S. that is preventing this coming together on a once a year basis. If it is a communication problem then the promoters need to step up their advertisement and send out promo to all the schools and heads of the various organizations ASAP. If it is political in nature then it is my opinion that those with specific grievances should be man or woman enough to put aside their differences, get over it for a weekend and lend your support to Mr. Trejo. Come join the rest of us on that weekend when we pay homage to the man that gave all of us such a wonderful gift and at least ONCE a year get along. I look forward to next year. The UKF has allready pledged it's support for as long as Mr. Trejo wants to continue the event. It is my sincere hope that the rest of the organizations do the same.
Amen to that, the politics in this system can be maddening, it's really too bad things are this way between so many schools.

Latest Discussions