Why Would Someone Not Go To The IKC`S?

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the 40th Anniversary of the IKC`s. There were many people in attendence that have supported the event for many years, yet the tournament was not fully supported by the kenpo community. My question is, why not? Frank Trejo is offering a service to help promote our art, give us a chance to get together, compete, perpetuate SGM Ed Parker`s tournament,etc. I personally feel that the tournament fills a void, but can only be successful with support.
Respectfully,
Bob White

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have loved to attended the event, but living in the Great White North with a limited budget I have not been able to attend. Hopefully next year or the year after I will be able to attend.

J

jeffkyle

Life has gotten in my way as well. Putting a damper on my financial ability to make it out there. When I figure a way around the need of money, I will attend ANY and all events within my power! :)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. White:

I can only plead stupidity. I recieved a copy of the flyer from Mr. Trejo at your seminar in April, attempted to post an announcement here on MT, and (in April & May) faxed copies of the seminar line-up and tournament dates / contact information to everybody I knew who was in kenpo, or martial arts AT ALL, who might benefit from or enjoy attending (I hope some showed). I have within the last month been so wrapped up in trying to secure and buildout a new practice location while saving a marriage, that I completely spaced that it was this weekend. I had been looking forward to attending the seminars (a great line-up of top-notch instructors), as well as the event...matter of fact, it was the closest thing to a vacation I would get this year, and am quite disappointed I missed it for many reasons.

I hope everything went well, and that your school excelled as usual. I also sincerely hope that the turnout was not so poor, that further attempts at perpetuating the event are abandoned. It is a landmark in kenpo -- past and present -- and any attempts to keep it awake, alive and fun should be wholeheartedly embraced by all West Coast kenpoka.

I will be sure to provide my support & participation at future events.

Sincerely,

Dave Crouch, DC

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was it announced here? I don't recall seeing the notice, and I don't recall anyone submiting it for inclusion on the events listing?

Kim Dahl

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Mr White

I also would have loved to attended the event, but I live in a other country, And the trip is expensive.

Best Regards
Kim Dahl
www.Kenpo.dk

P.S Sorry for the spelling mistake

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Was it announced here? I don't recall seeing the notice, and I don't recall anyone submiting it for inclusion on the events listing?
I apologize. I wasn't aware of this. Maybe I haven't checked as closely as I should to the events list if it actually was posted there.

- Ceicei

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to attend, but it is quite costly for me to attend such an event especially when you consider the flight, hotel, tournament fees, food, and ofcourse my wife would want to tag along so it would be triple the original cost.

Maybe I will be able to attend next year, if I schedule a trip to Vegas for her at the same time.

M

Mark Weiser

I have not seen any announcements on the events page about this. I for one love to go to seminars with other Kenpoist. Looking forward to the next one if announced early enough I can get vacation time request in and get ready for the trip.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I apologize. I wasn't aware of this. Maybe I haven't checked as closely as I should to the events list if it actually was posted there.

- Ceicei
Unless you're the one responsible to promoting the event, no need to apologize. :)

I just scanned my email and I didn't receive anything pertaining to this event. I also did a quick search on our Kenpo forums for "IKC" and found a bunch relating to last years event, but nothing really mentioning this years event.

To answer Professor White's question, I'd have to reply "Because we didn't know." :(

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was little to no advertising, and there weren't any fliers mailed out to schools either. This will change next year, I'm sure of it.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
From EPAK Events, 6-15-04

Don't know if it's been posted already...Long Beak Internationals are coming up. Last weekend in July/1st weekend in August. Mr. Trejo has also set up a Friday afternoon of seminars by some pretty awesome kenpoistas.

Hope to see all y'all there.

Dr. Dave

I didn't post grandiose, due to some of well-worded warnings against double-posting for events, and such...I mistakenly assumed someone of a more prominent profile would be in the know about it, and have the connections or scanning ability to place the flyer/graphics online. Again, my bad. I seem to have been one of the few aware of it, and fell short in my obligation to inform the forum appropriately.

My apologies,

Dave

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a note for everyone - If you want your event listed on our events listing, you -must- email it to me. I just don't have the time to read every forum (here and elsewhere looking for events.

email event notices to [email protected] and they will be listed at http://www.martialtalk.com/magazine/events.htm
(Please, don't send me pdfs, jpgs etc. Plain text with When, Where, Who and how to contact. A little extra info is good, but a page worth will only be cut back.)

I update that listing 1 or 2 times a month as time permits, so please send your events in early.

Thank you.

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It was good to see that you and your students support the IKC. The thing that perplexes me is why other events are scheduled at the same time. Last year there was a competing event that pulled competitors away from the IKC. This year a Kenpo seminar was scheduled on the same weekend by another Kenpo senior and supported by several other ranking Kenpoists. It is my understanding that even though Mr. Trejo offered at no charge a place at his event to hold their event and come together under the same roof; it was, for what ever reason, refused. Is there a communication problem or is there some petty political B.S. that is preventing this coming together on a once a year basis. If it is a communication problem then the promoters need to step up their advertisement and send out promo to all the schools and heads of the various organizations ASAP. If it is political in nature then it is my opinion that those with specific grievances should be man or woman enough to put aside their differences, get over it for a weekend and lend your support to Mr. Trejo. Come join the rest of us on that weekend when we pay homage to the man that gave all of us such a wonderful gift and at least ONCE a year get along. I look forward to next year. The UKF has allready pledged it's support for as long as Mr. Trejo wants to continue the event. It is my sincere hope that the rest of the organizations do the same.

OP
B

Bob White

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree, and you wrote that very well. The tournament grows with support. Frank Trejo is offering us an opportunity to work together for the good of our art. It is time to step up and forget our own agendas. As I have written earlier, leadership is being in service. People cannot be a part of by staying away. We all get a chance to see the new talents of kenpo by getting together and competing. I hope the word gets out and we have a great turn-out next year.
Respectfully,
Bob White

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What exactly would be the agenda? I know for one, the only agenda I have is the gospel of Kenpo, whether or not I support a tournament is irrelevant. Personally, I'd rather see ten more Gathering of Eagles than a tournament, at least you're getting information and contrast to your art rather than a trophy to take home and gather dust. Knowledge doesn't get dusty, and you don't have to put it on a shelf, you can actually use it when you display it.

DarK LorD

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any event that can bring together many of the factions in the Kenpo community together is a good thing. The IKC's have a rich history that is part of our art no matter what lineage you belong to.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor, Scott Halsey, went down with a few of the students from the studio and tied for Grand Champ in forms...........yay Mr. Halsey!!

I would love to go down sometime- even if it is just to watch. This year, I was prevented by other obligations and my pregnancy. Some year I will hopefully get there though to show my support.

:asian: :karate:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Any event that can bring together many of the factions in the Kenpo community together is a good thing. The IKC's have a rich history that is part of our art no matter what lineage you belong to.

Rob- I think what he's saying here is that, yes while you can get a good feeling by brining together many different people to this tournament, it would be a much better learning exp. to attend a seminar/camp with these people. Think about the things that you're going to be learning at each. Think about where you'd gain more from.

Dont get me wrong here. I dont want to make it sound like I'm bashing the event, because I'm not. I will not be able to attend due to my work schedule. I was simply showing the difference between the 2.

Mike

Latest Discussions