Why would a martial artist in their prime need a gun?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
you can be as skilled as possible, maybe even perfect(which is impossible) even then a bullet can still kill you. if the attacker is armed and is a good distance away you cannot go up to him to get in reach(he could have already shot you plenty times) yes if you have a gun (then at that point it depends on who has better aim and reflexes)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, MAist = Superman. Or at least that's what Im striving for.

Unlike Superman, human beings are fragile creatures. People have died from slipping and falling in the shower. Even the worlds very best martial artists from all time were/are not bullet proof. A good martial artist trains for the enemy he or she may face in combat. In the world I live in, the bad guys carry guns.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning distance as a reason that guns are important....if you read stories of self-defense with firearms, almost all of them take place at close range, and they often begin with the victim being struck or grabbed by their attacker, before they draw the gun. No matter your skill as a grappler, say, the ability of a gun to dominate you in a fight is incredible. a grappler must physically control your entire body in some manner if just using hands and no weapon. an individual with a gun needs to simply put the opening of the pistol over a part of your body and exert about 6 pounds of pressure with one finger to critically injure or kill you...that is an incredible force multiplier that is difficult to overcome even in prime physical condition.

And keep in mind, the person using the gun doesn't need hours of training every week to maintain their ability to injure or kill you...in fact, reading a lot of these stories, many of these people have little or no training before they successfully use the gun to protect themselves from one, if not more than one, violent attacker.

I would encourage you to read the real life self defense stories at the various gun sites to get a sense of how guns are actually used by normal people every day in violent attacks...it is pretty interesting...

ShazamKenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I think there has been some very valid points brought up, a gun provides a weapon at distance as well as in very close quarters. I don't see it as any different than any other weapon (tool) and a gun is a martial arts weapon.

Latest Discussions