Why was Realistic Training locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
My only problem is that my moving it here without a redirect,was that I had to look on Dan's Profile and find all posts by user, to find this thread again.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only problem is that my moving it here without a redirect,was that I had to look on Dan's Profile and find all posts by user, to find this thread again.
It should have had a temporary redirect. If it didn't, that was our error which I apologize for.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it interesting that, after six years of successful operation, the Mod Staff here is being challenged on the legitimacy of their actions yet again. Being a former high ranking staff member here, I just have to laugh. If you had any idea at all what was going on behind the scenes here, those of you that challenge their judgement would most certainly feel shame for your unfounded accusations. These people work hard and sacrifice their own time to ensure a civilized space on the internet for the advancement of martial art discussion. As a longer term, contributing, and supporting member, I appeal to the skeptics to please extend the volunteer staff here the benefit of the doubt.

I would also challenge any of you to convince me factually of some underlying agenda or conspiracy. Good luck.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that, after six years of successful operation, the Mod Staff here is being challenged on the legitimacy of their actions yet again. Being a former high ranking staff member here, I just have to laugh. If you had any idea at all what was going on behind the scenes here, those of you that challenge their judgement would most certainly feel shame for your unfounded accusations. These people work hard and sacrifice their own time to ensure a civilized space on the internet for the advancement of martial art discussion. As a longer term, contributing, and supporting member, I appeal to the skeptics to please extend the volunteer staff here the benefit of the doubt.

I would also challenge any of you to convince me factually of some underlying agenda or conspiracy. Good luck.
I have to agree. I was once a board moderator on another forum; it's a thankless, frustrating, and incredibly demanding job. And I think the moderators (and members!) here do a great job. Adding a conspiracy to being
a moderator is just too much work! Especially as a volunteer!

I haven't had any complaints about the moderators here, nor do I suspect any secret motive going on with this thread. I think that Shesulsa saw a thread going in circles, and decided to lock it pending review, just like was explained. And I think the "invisible" move to the forum that the board owners and moderators say is correct was just an "oops"; they happen!

And -- I think it's incredibly gracious of the board moderators to allow people to raise the question, respond to it without apparent rancor (I suspect some of the posts in this thread have needed a moderator or two to take a break and cool off before responding!), and be willing to share, explain, and listen to input on the issue. Lots of forums aren't so friendly towards dissent...

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
It think the mods are great and alot more patient and forgiving than i could be in the multitude of circumstances they have to deal with.

If i was Mod the board would be alot smaller, if i copped attitude for sometinhg i did that i got little thanks for and no money...

People would just disappear...

:angel:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Bob --

First off -- this isn't a "how do I" or a "I've got a problem" question. It is very specific to Shesulsa locking a thread in the Ninjutsu forum.

I am not asking for a generic why - but a specific why. The conversation on this thread (above) is directly linked to the original topic -- and I will nearly guarentee this will be buried in this forum - which does no one any good (other than people who are hiding behind the proverbial curtain).

I am sure that the decision to move it here takes pressure off of the person who locked it.

Maybe that is the point though, eh?

Anyway -- I am sure it will be useful here in a completely unrelated forum.

-DW

PS. I have been around boards long enough to know the offical "why's" surrounding a locked thread -- and long enough to know when the official "why" is a smokescreen for something else...

You know, you sound an awful lot like someone I ran into on another forum... Anyways...

I believe, and in my experiences, the mod's are doing a wonderful job at keeping this place the way it is. There aren't very many pissing matches (pardon the phraseology there) thanks to all of them, and when there is, it's dealt with ASAP. It's a hard and thankless job, but they go out of their way to try to keep it going smoothly. I've seen threads go on and on either way off topic, or people verbally "bashing" others heads in and nothing gets done. Well, here's my thanks to everyone that is involved with keeping this place running so smoothly.

Hidden agendas and whatnot? Oh please! Only if you count trying not to have people leaving here by the numbers like a bunch of lemmings as a conspiracy...

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Mr Weidman's rep is red? Is that all from this one post?

He gave his opinion. I disagree as well, but the dogpile response has gone past the point of polite and respectful conversation.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

He gave his opinion. I disagree as well, but the dogpile response has gone past the point of polite and respectful conversation.
He received 8 hits, 6 negative 2 positive for his last post here prior to this note. There were 12 other hits from other threads, 6+/2neutral/4-
All but 1 had comments explaining the hit, all within acceptable content limits.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He received 8 hits, 6 negative 2 positive for his last post here prior to this note. There were 12 other hits from other threads, 6+/2neutral/4-
All but 1 had comments explaining the hit, all within acceptable content limits.
I know it's a little off the topic... but isn't the color of the dot & number of them pretty much automated? One person with enough rep power might shift a person either way, right?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You may get lots of positive rep for an insightful post, you may get a lot of negative rep for a, shall we say, not so insighful post. Just the way it seems to work

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not that I care to keep this alive -- but you should at least know what I was thinking...

It should have had a temporary redirect. If it didn't, that was our error which I apologize for.

Since the person who locked the thread was the same person who moved (without redirect) the thread -- I assumed it wasn't a mistake - but rather done on purpose to hide this thread. If it was an honest mistake -- then I apologize for my tone. Seeing as it was the person I was bringing heat on -- however -- I have (had) a hard time imagining it was done accidentally.

Secondly -- there seems to be a subtle current around protecting certain people's opinions at the expense of other people. The funny part to the thread that was locked -- is that if it had been locked several pages before the end -- I would have agreed with it (mostly name calling and "yes you did - no I didn't"). However -- the point where it *was* locked ... we were discussing newer things and conversation was moving decently -- albeit not positively for some people (Don Roley, for example, was taking some hits at the end). And then the thread locked -- by a mod with a TCMA background. That same mod then moved this thread and all traces disappeared from the forum. Sorry if I read into that. It is why I PM'd Kreth and Shesulsa for why my thread was *deleted* -- as I know that moved threads should have a pointer.

Honestly though -- there has been a lot of "circle the wagons" around here lately. Why is everyone afraid of a little heated conversation?

If you don't like the thread - vote with your mouse (just leave the conversation alone). We are all adults -- this shouldn't be too hard, right?

Anyway -- I have already been given an infraction for this thread and my disrespect -- I just thought you should at least know why I posted the way I do here. Don't know if it makes any difference.

-DW

PS: let me address this quickly as well:

Shesulsa wrote:
This forum is the support forum, the "How do I", "I've got a Problem", etc place. Questions like "why did this happen on the board" go here. It's our policy.

I don't think your thread will get buried here, as our volunteer staff is very consciencious about addressing user concerns as quickly as we can.

I have been on boards for as long as they have been around. I didn't have a problem with why a thread MIGHT be locked -- I had a problem with why YOU LOCKED A THREAD. This isn't a user concern -- this is a "please explain yourself" thread. I created this thread so you could answer for your actions -- if they were good, then everyone would know you were doing a good job moderating -- and if they were suspect, then again, everyone could see that as well.

What I meant by BURIED -- is that the forum this came from has no record of this thread actually being there -- which means that no one gets to see that you were even questioned.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daniel, it was an honest mistake. The staff aren't trying to protect anyone's opinion. Your opinions regarding our art are just as important to us as any of the other well known folks in the traditional Ninjutsu section.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been on boards for as long as they have been around. I didn't have a problem with why a thread MIGHT be locked -- I had a problem with why YOU LOCKED A THREAD. This isn't a user concern -- this is a "please explain yourself" thread. I created this thread so you could answer for your actions -- if they were good, then everyone would know you were doing a good job moderating -- and if they were suspect, then again, everyone could see that as well.

What I meant by BURIED -- is that the forum this came from has no record of this thread actually being there -- which means that no one gets to see that you were even questioned.

The reasons for locking the Realistic Training thread have already been posted here. We are still reviewing the thread and will post final decisions when they are reached.

Moving this thread was simply in the interest of board policy - I accidentally neglected to leave a redirect pointer and I apologize.

Just as a note, there is a "New Posts" option on the blue menu bar towards the top of the page which will search for and provide a list of all threads which have new posts regardless of their location or relocation.

We also have a thread subscription option you might want to check out on your UserCP Options.

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Daniel, it was an honest mistake. The staff aren't trying to protect anyone's opinion. Your opinions regarding our art are just as important to us as any of the other well known folks in the traditional Ninjutsu section.

Thanks David -- I believe you.

-DW

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just as a note, there is a "New Posts" option on the blue menu bar towards the top of the page which will search for and provide a list of all threads which have new posts regardless of their location or relocation.

We also have a thread subscription option you might want to check out on your UserCP Options.

Do you honestly believe that I care about the answer personally -- or that this issue is about me "keeping up" with your answer here? I am aware of how to find a thread if I am looking for it.

I wanted this thread to be attached to the forum directly so people could read for themselves your reasons.

-DW

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI Daniel we work as a moderating team here meaning that multiple moderators made input in the final decision to lock the thread. No one person decided, okay I am going to lock it.

On the topic of discussion, personally I enjoy good discussion and debate but the posters need to act like adults and debate like adults. Personal insults, innuendo, etc. need and should be set aside.

As to your posts I am personally always interested to hear what you have to say and find it interesting and informative. So keep posting and enjoy MartialTalk's friendly atmosphere. If you find a post that does not fit in with our rules please rtm it or if you have a disagreement with someone you can also just ignore them. (use our ignore feature for this)

Thanks for being part of our community.
icon14.gif

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
FYI Daniel we work as a moderating team here meaning that multiple moderators made input in the final decision to lock the thread. No one person decided, okay I am going to lock it.

Fair enough. This is all I was looking for -- someone to answer why it was locked.

The move without a pointer was the part that set me off (originally thought it was deleted).

As to your posts I am personally always interested to hear what you have to say and find it interesting and informative. So keep posting and enjoy MartialTalk's friendly atmosphere. If you find a post that does not fit in with our rules please rtm it or if you have a disagreement with someone you can also just ignore them. (use our ignore feature for this)

Thanks for being part of our community.
icon14.gif

Thanks -- :)

Likewise.

-DW

Status
Not open for further replies.