Why was Realistic Training locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What needs to be "reviewed" by the Mod team?

Just curious... I can't be the only one.

-DW

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What needs to be "reviewed" by the Mod team?

Just curious... I can't be the only one.

-DW
It was locked because we got tired of watching the same people go back and forth with the same comments. What was reviewed were snipes and other immature behavior, and a few infractions were issued.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was locked because we got tired of watching the same people go back and forth with the same comments. What was reviewed were snipes and other immature behavior, and a few infractions were issued.

Just as Kreth said it

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The topic reached the point where a dead horse was being beaten and productive conversation was at a minimum. The thread has been reported several times and we are reviewing it for infractions.

Thank you for asking.

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The topic reached the point where a dead horse was being beaten and productive conversation was at a minimum. The thread has been reported several times and we are reviewing it for infractions.

Reviewing -- and then you are going to reopen it? That is what reviewing normally implies...

Thank you for asking.

No problem. Thank you for answering.

-DW

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reviewing -- and then you are going to reopen it? That is what reviewing normally implies...
Reviewing implies that several people will be reading it again.

Just in case this part was missed:
The topic reached the point where a dead horse was being beaten and productive conversation was at a minimum.

When the review is finished, the final decision to reopen or not will be posted on the thread in question.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was locked because we got tired of watching the same people go back and forth with the same comments.

And I think that it should be pointed out that we have seen the same blasted things said in thread after thread after thread. I can't be the only one who look at these things when the pop up yet again and think about just dropping my account here.

I would love it if we could have locked threads prepared by the staff and a few stable, knowledgeable people on certain subjects that keep popping up. Both sides do not send their responses to the other, but to the judges that drop anything too hotly worded, already dealt with or can't be verified within reason. After the two sides have dealt with everything the other side has and made their points so that both sides are satisfied that they may not agree, but they are happy to disagree with all the facts laid out for others to judge, the thread in a locked state is released to the board to view.

Then...whenever anyone else starts a thread on the same subject, the thread disapears and a note to the original poster is given challenging him to bring up a valid point not covered in the locked thread. If they can, the thread is opened to the debators with the new guy added. Otherwise we use our time in a more constructive manner.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
To be honest unless there is anything new to bring to the discussion whats the point of re-opening it and just going over and over the same stuff again and again?

But i will go with the flow, just my point of view.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I think that it should be pointed out that we have seen the same blasted things said in thread after thread after thread. I can't be the only one who look at these things when the pop up yet again and think about just dropping my account here.
Consistent, repetetive thread hijacking is a tactic of trolls and having good members leave boards is a step towards their goal.

We rely on our membership to be vocal in what they think is in keeping with the theme of this board and its rules. So I'll say it again; if you see thread hijacking, report it. Steer conversation in the direction intended by the OP. You CAN ignore users who insist on posting the same thing over and over and over again and who disrupt areas of the board as part of the agenda.

There's just no way the volunteer mod staff here can see every single post and we do the best we can to apply the rules to reported posts.

And if the same conversation keeps popping up over and over and over again ... don't seed it. Don't reply to it. Conversation takes more than one person (for most of us) and if you don't want to discuss that ... don't.

:asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Consistent, repetetive thread hijacking is a tactic of trolls and having good members leave boards is a step towards their goal.

We rely on our membership to be vocal in what they think is in keeping with the theme of this board and its rules. So I'll say it again; if you see thread hijacking, report it. Steer conversation in the direction intended by the OP. You CAN ignore users who insist on posting the same thing over and over and over again and who disrupt areas of the board as part of the agenda.

There's just no way the volunteer mod staff here can see every single post and we do the best we can to apply the rules to reported posts.

And if the same conversation keeps popping up over and over and over again ... don't seed it. Don't reply to it. Conversation takes more than one person (for most of us) and if you don't want to discuss that ... don't.

Without discounting the good advice given for some of these topics, or disputing that the instant thread was becoming locked in what amounted to a duck season/rabbit season routine from Loony Tunes...

I think that part of what happened was some understandable migration of the topic more than any deliberate hijacking; "realistic" training is a huge issue with lots of different viewpoints, even within one system. When you add a few people to the mix who are confident in their beliefs, feel they have good reasons for them, and don't really care to listen to other viewpoints other than to attack them -- it's a problem. But I also think that often, those problems take care of themselves on a message board, with minimal impact from the moderators. People get bored and stop reading the thread. I don't think any of the participants were trolls... Just people who had their own strong beliefs on the topic.

I don't think that people were going to change their views. Some of the "discussion" was little more than people saying "I like it my way" and determining that any other comment was not a valid argument while others were validly trying to discuss the issues that had arisen. (And some people, I think, did both at different points!)

What I'm trying to get to is that I didn't see any major violations of the rules (as I understand them). Most of the discussion was reasonably polite, if heated. I'm not privy to the complaints; honestly, I was getting board with the lack of what I felt was meaningful exchange. I'm just not sure that locking the thread pending review was an ideal solution. Nor do a think a locked, judged thread would do much good. The topics would still arise, and the folks that believe strongly in something are just going to say "I read the 'main' thread on this; this is why it's wrong."

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for your input.

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score

??? -- read the OP for that thread. The dead horse was the horse the OP brought to the race. The vast majority of the conversation on that thread was either about the OP or about an argument for / against a viewpoint that was born from the OP. Most of it was on topic. Sorry.

We rely on our membership to be vocal in what they think is in keeping with the theme of this board and its rules. So I'll say it again; if you see thread hijacking, report it. Steer conversation in the direction intended by the OP.

See above.

'zactly.

-DW

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Honestly Don. This goes both ways.

I stay around on these boards SPECIFICALLY to combat other people thinking that the party line you advocate is the only way (or for that matter, the *right* way). You (and I - for that matter) are not going to change our minds about the issue at hand.

The new people, however, deserve to know both sides to this argument.

-DW

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking unofficially here as I haven't gone through the original thread or staff notes myself yet, we try not to lock too many threads. We do lock them when things are getting out of hand and need to cool off while we sort through things, and usually but not always reopen them. Give em a bit to weed through things and they'll either reopen it or let y'all know why it was decided to stay locked.

Why would it stay locked?
Couple of reasons. As I think was mentioned the Rabbit Season/Duck Season argument, or excessive heat (ie flame war), etc. But, give the mods and steering board a chance to work through things for a little bit.

Small point of procedure: Questions like this are best asked in the support forum rather than art sections. Danke :D

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Small point of procedure: Questions like this are best asked in the support forum rather than art sections. Danke :D
That being said, I'll move this to the appropriate forum.

:)

OP
D

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Hey Bob --

First off -- this isn't a "how do I" or a "I've got a problem" question. It is very specific to Shesulsa locking a thread in the Ninjutsu forum.

I am not asking for a generic why - but a specific why. The conversation on this thread (above) is directly linked to the original topic -- and I will nearly guarentee this will be buried in this forum - which does no one any good (other than people who are hiding behind the proverbial curtain).

I am sure that the decision to move it here takes pressure off of the person who locked it.

Maybe that is the point though, eh?

Anyway -- I am sure it will be useful here in a completely unrelated forum.

-DW

PS. I have been around boards long enough to know the offical "why's" surrounding a locked thread -- and long enough to know when the official "why" is a smokescreen for something else...

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Hey Bob --

First off -- this isn't a "how do I" or a "I've got a problem" question. It is very specific to Shesulsa locking a thread in the Ninjutsu forum.

I am not asking for a generic why - but a specific why. The conversation on this thread (above) is directly linked to the original topic -- and I will nearly guarentee this will be buried in this forum - which does no one any good (other than people who are hiding behind the proverbial curtain).

I am sure that the decision to move it here takes pressure off of the person who locked it.

-DW

PS. I have been around boards long enough to know the offical "why's" surrounding a locked thread -- and long enough to know when the official "why" is a smokescreen for something else...
Interesting reaction. Guy tries to help you out and you decide to crap all over him, insulting his integrity, his staff, and his motivation. Then you wonder why a pissing match thread was locked. Such wisdom is truly wasted here. From what I've read / experienced, this site goes above and beyond to be fair to people, even those who rapidly wear out what little they may deserve. Why don't you apologize for being a jerk, be patient and let them do the jobs they aren't paid to do? Or is not jumping to unfounded conspiracy minded conclusions too much to handle?

Moderators move threads all the time. They lock threads. They tell people to shut the **** up. They even boot them when they prove they are too stupid to get it.
Been there, done her, bought the pig, named her Sheila, woot woot.

Oh wait. Maybe this is a conspiracy. They all got together, drank a few beers, and decided to lock the thread, wait until you asked about it, then make up all different stories so that you will think that there really is a conspiracy of silence, to censor you and deprive you of non-existent free speech rights (or lefts), because the all were drunk and decided to lock the thread to censor you. Tell me, do you see three lights or four lights?

Anyway I have bacon to fry so I will leave you to your reaction. My suggestion to the mods though is to chuck the thread and tell you to billy off for being a wank about it all. That advice and $5 will get you bad coffee at a $tarBuck$.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh good Lord, here we go again!

Sorry, was going to make more comments, but everything I typed would have started a giant turd stirring party here. Any chance of shutting this one down before the stupidity starts again?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Bob --

-DW

Excuse me?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DWeidman,

This forum is the support forum, the "How do I", "I've got a Problem", etc place. Questions like "why did this happen on the board" go here. It's our policy.

I don't think your thread will get buried here, as our volunteer staff is very consciencious about addressing user concerns as quickly as we can.

You have mentioned a "smokescreen for something else." Would you care to air your concern? Is there another complaint you'd like to file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions