Why until recently effective TMA practitioners were not represented in MMA?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He hasn't said, that I can recall, and he has been asked several times, in different ways, by several people who were curious about his point of view.

That leads me to believe - based on past experience on forums with people who evaded that question - that he has little or no actual experience.
Yep he responded by asking what my experience is. I had no issue answering it because I'm not pretending I'm anything I'm not let's see now if he returns the favour and answers it (I very much doubt it)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, your view is definitely wrong. The kind of training emphasis is different. I will agree it's not a black & white distinction.
Then you don't get it. See, there are folks who use traditional Karate to train for sport. So, which are they?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry does the truth bother you? Ask anyone I'll doubt they'll disagree with what I've said.
The "truth?" Ask any who?
My experience? Okay sure. 26 years of kenpo, 15 years of boxing, 12 years of kickboxing/Muay Thai, 2 years of Bjj, 1 year of Krav Maga, 2 years of ishinryu karate, 6 years of teaching kenpo and about 3 months of teaching of Krav Maga.
Okay I've answered so your turn

Over a decade of practicing a traditional karate style derived originally from Shotokan karate. Have never formally taught any art.

I made a deliberate effort to focus on traditional karate as opposed to going all over the place like you. Have done some limited cross training though. Boxing, to me is a waste of time and contrary to developing one's kempo.

How's that?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over a decade of practicing a traditional karate style derived originally from Shotokan karate. Have never formally taught any art.

I made a deliberate effort to focus on traditional karate as opposed to going all over the place like you. Have done some limited cross training though. Boxing, to me is a waste of time and contrary to developing one's kempo.

How's that?
So, you've never trained in Kempo, nor boxing, yet you're certain they can't be complementary.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

How's that?
Oh so you do a style so secret you can't even give it a name...sure

See this is exactly what everyone's saying. You're disrespectful and arrogant towards other people. Putting down what other people do and bigging up yourself. So have you ever done boxing or kenpo? If not you have no right to say anything about either style. Fact is Bruce Lee one of the top martial artists ever was a big fan of boxing and used it in his own style because he saw the use for it. But I guess you kmow more than Bruce Lee right

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then you don't get it. See, there are folks who use traditional Karate to train for sport. So, which are they?

No GPS, you don't get it. Over the Internet, really?:arghh:

How does what I said exclude a sport practitioner from going to any TMA school to train? What you left out is how they train. Your'e big on actual resisting exercises. TMA schools generally in my area have a sliding scale on that, though the normal is light to no contact in sparring. Plus we always encounter those individuals who take it farther on their own volition. It does happen.

You have a constant theme of your improvements which you feel benefit you. We have this thinking in my own dojo, but as a rule most follow the traditional curriculum as laid out by the org.

EDIT: Try speaking to what I commented, "differences" in training principle. Not slanting off to who trains where, a favorite tactic of your's to take the conversation to where you want it to go yet pretend to reply.

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh so you do a style so secret you can't even give it a name...sure

"Sure," that's cutsey.:woot: Have you visited your own profile page? It's blocked!!!!!!!~!~

See this is exactly what everyone's saying. You're disrespectful and arrogant towards other people. Putting down what other people do and bigging up yourself.

"everyone." Everyone who has opinion challenged like you. Oh ,the headaches you must have. "Bigging." Talking to a high school wrestling class again. The coach in my high school talked just like you. Won many championships too. Wrestling ain't the world though. Left that out.

You're not disrespectful and arrogant. No, not at all with this jive.:astronaut:

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure, that's cutsey.:woot: Have you visited your own profile page? It's blocked!!!!!!!~!~

"everyone." Everyone who has opinion challenged like you. Oh ,the headaches you must have. "Bigging." Talking to a high school wrestling class again. The coach in my high school talked just like you. Won many championships too. Wrestling ain't the world though. Left that out.

Your not disrespectful and arrogant. No, not at all with this jive.:astronaut:
Yes it is? So what I've told you the names of every single I've trained you can't even say one styles name?

I can't say much to the rest of your post because frankly like most of what you post it's hard to understand a word you're saying....you've used 2 words in one post aren't even real words so good job on that

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is? So what I've told you the names of every single I've trained you can't even say one styles name?

It's the end of the world! We can always talk using Shotokan as a centerpiece. That's if that doesn't aggravate those headaches you're having. Awful.:playful:

I can't say much to the rest of your post because frankly like most of what you post it's hard to understand a word you're saying....you've used 2 words in one post aren't even real words so good job on that

Right, could be all those arts you've taken, you never really understood what you were supposed to be learning. I see it all the time in traditional karate. And karate isn't alone.

Bottom line, you haven't really anything to say about traditional karate as represented by the most popular and widely practiced karate across the world, and the source of many additional karate styles, and modern kickboxing too.

You did a word test, instead?:cigar:

So with all your extensive, long-lived experience & teaching, karate tradition is just a headache.:meh:

Check out what Ramsey Dewey says about Krav Maga! It's a funner.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No GPS, you don't get it. Over the Internet, really?:arghh:

How does what I said exclude a sport practitioner from going to any TMA school to train? What you left out is how they train. Your'e big on actual resisting exercises. TMA schools generally in my area have a sliding scale on that, though the normal is light to no contact in sparring. Plus we always encounter those individuals who take it farther on their own volition. It does happen.

You have a constant theme of your improvements which you feel benefit you. We have this thinking in my own dojo, but as a rule most follow the traditional curriculum as laid out by the org.

EDIT: Try speaking to what I commented, "differences" in training principle. Not slanting off to who trains where, a favorite tactic of your's to take the conversation to where you want it to go yet pretend to reply.
I'm really not sure what any of that has to do with the previous sequence of posts. You're all over the place.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what any of that has to do with the previous sequence of posts. You're all over the place.

Yes, you are unsure. It's a constant you display, like that other poster with all the headaches.

Don't want to miss, "all over the place." I said: difference in method, you reply: Sports players train in MMA.

The bill you try to pin on me, pins right to yourself.:jawdrop:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the end of the world. We can always talk using Shotokan. That's if that doesn't aggravate those headaches you're having. Awful.:playful:

Right, could be all those arts you've taken, you never really understood what you were supposed to be learning. I see in all the time in traditional karate. And karate isn't alone.

Bottom line, you haven't really anything to say about traditional karate as represented by the most popular and widely practiced karate across the world, and the source of many additional karate styles, and modern kickboxing too.

You did a word test, instead?:cigar:

So with all your extensive, long-lived experience & teaching, karate tradition is just a headache.:meh:

Check out what Ramsey Dewey says about Krav Maga!
Yet again you dont answer the question you just spout out a bunch of nonsense.

I don't know anything traditional karate I've never claimed to you know why? I don't do traditional karate, I don't care about traditional karate, I'm not interested in traditional karate, I have no opinion of it either way.

Why the hell would I care what some random guy I've never heard of has to say about Krav Maga?

Frankly the way you respond to simple questions tells me all I need to know about you

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please can you look at the last thing this guy posted to me and let me know if you can make any sense of it

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell you what I'm done here. I can't even call this a conversation I say one thing then Mr noob starts talking about something totally different. If I wanted to listen to aimless rambling I'll go talk to my 5 year old granddaughter

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yet again you dont answer the question you just spout out a bunch of nonsense.

Which is it now. Headaches or nonsense. How about lazy. How about unwilling to look at material I posted.

I don't know anything traditional karate I've never claimed to you know why? I don't do traditional karate, I don't care about traditional karate, I'm not interested in traditional karate, I have no opinion of it either way.

Ok.

Why the hell would I care what some random guy I've never heard of has to say about Krav Maga?

Fair enough. But your'e missing out!

Frankly the way you respond to simple questions tells me all I need to know about you

Frankly Mr. Laundry List of Martial Arts, your answer fits yourself. You spout labels like an addressing machine. No, no, and more no's define your contribution.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tell you what I'm done here. I can't even call this a conversation I say one thing then Mr noob starts talking about something totally different. If I wanted to listen to aimless rambling I'll go talk to my 5 year old granddaughter
Take an aspirin, and call GPS in the morning....

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is it now. Headaches or nonsense. How about lazy. How about unwilling to look at material I posted.

Ok.

Fair enough. But your'e missing out!

Frankly Mr. Laundry List of Martial Arts, your answer fits yourself. You spout labels like an addressing machine. No, no, and more no's define your contribution.
My god....you actually took that comment about headaches lol that is hilarious.

Better a laundry list of martial arts than not even being able to name one martial art that I train funny you can't even give a name for your style hmm I wonder why. Wonder what you'll change the subject to next to avoid the question

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I feel bad about that comment now....I have way more interesting conversations with my granddaughter....apologies to my granddaughter

Latest Discussions