Why Traditional Karate Is Not Effective for Self-Defense

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ceicei, Dec 4, 2004.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

A good martial art that has a solid foundation can do both. Or all three.

When I read terms like self protection I am reminded of terms like tactical. Which is an obvious sale pitch.

You can buy stuff. You can buy tactical stuff. But tactical stuff is not always better for doing tactical things. It is just designed to make the consumer buy the product.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I like the foregrip. My sword doesn't have that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JR 137

JR 137 Master Black Belt

You're looking through that keyhole too, in a way, regarding sport karate. I'm assuming you have point fighting in mind. What about knockdown? Watch a Kyokushin tournament and tell me that what they're doing is far enough removed from reality to be completely ineffective as self defense (the when all other options have been exhausted aspect; please let's not have another SD vs fighting vs ad nauseum).

Even point fighting has elements that'll help defend yourself. A punch is a punch. Learning to punch helps. Learning to kick helps. Learning to evade helps. Learning timing helps. Training hard and getting in good physical shape helps. The pressure to perform against unknown opponents helps. Point fighting is a bit of a stretch, but some universal fighting attributes are there.

For the record, I hate point fighting. But it's not 100% worthless. Training for a tournament that my daughters talked me into competing in made me better able to defend myself. It didn't take me from a nobody to a guy who can clear out the bar by himself with one hand tied behind his back, but there's no denying I got faster, stronger, and more flexible.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

That's about the only thing I'd rather have than a working light saber. Wait. No, I'd still rather have a working light saber. But that's a very close second.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Psilent Knight

Psilent Knight Blue Belt

I wish to repeat that my post was just my two cents FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH. Everyone here is free to either agree or disagree.

Good thing I have nothing to sell.:) Also I wish to make clear that I personally use the terms self protection and self defense interchangeably (which should've been obvious from my post).

Take Care and Have A Good Night,
    Osu!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. JR 137

JR 137 Master Black Belt

Isn't every post just the poster's opinion? I didn't take any offense to your post I quoted. I agree with a lot of what you said, but I gave some counterpoints. Just my 2 cents.

7. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Master Black Belt

you cant have a working light saber....you'll take your eye out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Sometimes a post contains a fact or two. The trick is to distinguish between facts and opinions. Usually pretty straightforward.

But often, someone will post facts and also their opinions derived from facts, and not be able to tell one from the other.

9. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

I'd certainly be short a limb or two, but the good news is that the robotic prosthetics are awesome.

10. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Master Black Belt

If I am free do disagree then I will. I good art will preform well in any environment. You may have to tweak it for better performance but it will work well. A good punch is a good punch, regardless of the context. On the opposite side, a crappy punch may only work in point fighting. Or in a single context.
    A good art acts as a base and the individual can take it in whatever direction they choose. You can then do little add on to tailor it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Psilent Knight

Psilent Knight Blue Belt

If I may, I would like to state one thing for everyone's clarification. I was not singling out point sparring, I meant sport/tournament karate regardless if it's full contact, semi contact, non contact, point sparring or anything else in between. If it has rules, a referee, a designated fighting area, fixed time limit and the participants are given the chance to be set and ready before the ref yells "BEGIN!" then it is sport which is a whole different animal from the real thing. I think I'll just leave it at that.

Take Care,

Osu!

12. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Well yeah. Obviously fighting is easier if I dont have to worry about rules a ref and the other guy being pre warned. But what are you going to do?

13. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock White Belt

In modern times we must always be aware of what is happening. Disaster can occur in a moment's notice. So can a riot or random act of violence. Situational awareness is critical.

As for the rigidity of karate, I agree. There are other forms that can be more effective.

I also look towards improvised weapons wherever I may be. Anything can be applied as a weapon. It can dissuade an attack or outright neutralize it.

However, with racial tensions and gang violence, I have resorted to my training with firearms. I would use my martial arts to buy me seconds to be able to step back and draw my weapon. That is realistically how I approach self defense.

I have gotten into 2 hostile disputes and talked my way out of them. Always ready to attack or counter. Luckily I have never had to attack or counter attack an assailant.

I don't put myself in situations that would lead to major conflict. However, it is important to use whatever tools are available. Shooting is my last option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Purple Belt

I agree that karate is ineffective against nuclear attacks, poison gas and snipers. I couldn't get through the rest of this diatribe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

The mention of big motions made me think of my current Wing Chun teacher. All his teaching favors what he calls "small circle." He said to me in the last class I attended: "If you can get good at small circle, big circle is easy."

• Like Like x 1