Why the WTF started then stopped giving rank?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that for a short time in the 1980's the Kukkiwon actually gave out rank with the WTF's name on it (rather than the Kukkiwon itself). I'm one of the oddballs that has such a certificate from the WTF issued in 1985.

Why did the WTF issue the ranks? Why did they stop? What brought it about?

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Graet Question IcemanSK, It has always been my understanding that the Kukkiwon Has always been the issuer of Certificates. Our Instructor, Sr. GM Sell would know, as He was at the origional organizing committe meetings for WTF. There are picturess of him at some very important moments in TKD's history. But here is s link to check out,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukkiwon. A little off topic, Ya know Iceman we are a part of a big assoc. Sr. GM Sell has over 40 years service to TKD, and Great GM Uhm, and GM Hae Man Pak are his instructors

Live Long and Prosper

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before I go to my GM, I want to see if anyone else knew before I ask him.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My guess would be because they realized that competing with the Kukkiwon would not be a good idea, especially since the Kukkiwon is the headquarters of the WTF. While the WTF and Kukkiwon are closely related, the two have not always gotten along. I think for political reasons, the WTF decided to let the Kukkiwon handle rank.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The main reason or atleast by one of my GM is simple the WTF is there to govern only the sport side of competition and that would man the rank would be limited to only sport TKD and they did not want that, so they agreed to let the KKW keep issuring these cirtificates to give it a more prestege to them. I do not now if the above is true as in any proof but that is what I was told.