Why the opening action??

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But, by the same token, introducing variations of complex two-arm actions before even looking at the basic punch just seems excessive for the opening action of the very first form. I'm not familiar with all the stuff Eric is describing above for his system. It's obviously not YMVT, but it makes more sense to establish your parameters before getting into specifics, and simple before complex.

I totally agree about establishing your parameters and introducing simple, single aarm actions first, before complex double arm ones.

Perhaps my use of the term 'kwun sau" was misleading. Of course. it is commonly applied to a two-arm rotation into tan-bong-sau. My old Chinese sifu also applied that term to the internal rotation of the arms up from double gaun-sau to double tan-sau in the opening movement. it does not refer to the classic two-arm rotation into the tan-bong-sau position (although the seed is there for those who can see it). Generally we explain the double-armed movements of SNT, such as this opening sequence in terms of single arm actions.

As such, this "kwun" or rotational movement functions to 1. begin building the basic rotational path the hands follow when punching and performing most basic techniques with the hands rotating one over the other, and 2. in the specific rotating transition from gaun-sau to tan-sau, the arm flexes through a dai-bong position, rotates internally, and then rolls into tan-sau.

Although this particular sequence is not emphasized in drills and practice until later in the training, it s an essential movement in our branch of YMVT with our emphasis on "flexible bong" sau and "springy energy". This emphasis may be branch-specific, since I do not believe you have mentioned anything like it in your WSL-VT.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Izzat an application of bringing the arms back in from double faak-sau in SNT?

Or by "your stuff" do you mean the BJJ and not the TWC?

You ask dumb questions, bro. Almost like you're trying to push my buttons or something.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
My old Chinese sifu also applied that term to the internal rotation of the arms up from double gaun-sau to double tan-sau in the opening movement. it does not refer to the classic two-arm rotation into the tan-bong-sau position (although the seed is there for those who can see it).

Okay, that's a relief.

the basic rotational path the hands follow when punching and performing most basic techniques with the hands rotating one over the other,

You punch with elbows out, like hitting a speedbag or something?

"flexible bong" sau and "springy energy". This emphasis may be branch-specific, since I do not believe you have mentioned anything like it in your WSL-VT.

Yeah, no such thing for me.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
You ask dumb questions, bro. Almost like you're trying to push my buttons or something.

Well, then I guess you're talking about BJJ and not TWC. I agree, then. It works.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...You punch with elbows out, like hitting a speedbag or something?

Nope. In our opening movement to SNT, the elbows flex outward (like a dai-bong) to allow the hands to rotate inside and back up to gow-cha tan-sau position. The path of the punch is the internal rotation. But the flexing to a dai-bong position happens when the arm is pushed or pinned down, as with a a jut, gum, or pak-sau. This is part of the training of our springy or flexible bong-sau.

Regardless of lineage, when most people receive a strong, outdoor pak-sau, this is a pretty normal response. Either your arm flexes, or you resist stiffly and your body will be jolted out of position. On the other hand, responding to an indoor pak-sau this way takes considerably more training, and takes a long time to get down. It wasn't until I struggled to internalize that response that I realized that the key was right there in the opening of SNT, in one of the very first moves I ever learned.

For the record, we are talking about slightly different sequences here. Here' WSL demonstrating the movement discussed at about 0:09-10:

Now, here's a woman performing the same sequence in the LT version at about 0:6-8:

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, then I guess you're talking about BJJ and not TWC. I agree, then. It works.

I would guess that the winning RNC needed some considerable "set up" to achieve, and that "set up" was likely the TWC that made it possible. But then I am capable of applying common sense rather than just seeking to argue with anyone and everyone whenever I can! ;)

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My sidais Ethan Dunham won his MMA fight in Adelaide last week. My stuff works. You can stick your conceptual validation in that place near the objects you don't want to grab.

Cool man. Is there any footage of that fight? Saw his Sherdog profile (I think), good to have WC guys competing like that.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Cool man. Is there any footage of that fight? Saw his Sherdog profile (I think), good to have WC guys competing like that.

I can't find a vid after a brief look, and the live stream seems to be no longer available. I imagine I'll come across footage at some stage and will post it if I can. Some of his earlier fights are on Youtube.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would guess that the winning RNC needed some considerable "set up" to achieve, and that "set up" was likely the TWC that made it possible. But then I am capable of applying common sense rather than just seeking to argue with anyone and everyone whenever I can! ;)

Well, I haven't seen the guy fight, but based on all the TWC fights I've seen, I'm willing to bet he never achieved flank, as is the central strategy of the style, and that the RNC was set up by ground fighting skills rather than TWC.

Wanna put money on it and see when Anerlich posts the video?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I haven't seen the guy fight, but based on all the TWC fights I've seen, I'm willing to bet he never achieved flank, as is the central strategy of the style, and that the RNC was set up by ground fighting skills rather than TWC.

Well, if his TWC allowed him to survive on his feet long enough to get to the ground and apply that RNC, I would call that part of the set up and the thing that enabled him to achieve that RNC. Otherwise he would have likely been knocked out rather than choked out!

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Your recent posts indicate that no good will come of posting any video on this forum. So, sorry NI, I won't be posting it. LFJ will need to find other subjects for his scorn, resentment and negativity.

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if his TWC allowed him to survive on his feet long enough to get to the ground and apply that RNC, I would call that part of the set up and the thing that enabled him to achieve that RNC. Otherwise he would have likely been knocked out rather than choked out!

Well, since it's not going to be posted, we won't know if he got taken down, but got the upper hand once on the ground.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, since it's not going to be posted, we won't know if he got taken down, but got the upper hand once on the ground.

Doesn't matter. I'm sure you'd find something about it to criticize! :rolleyes:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. I'm sure you'd find something about it to criticize! :rolleyes:

Every fight has something to criticize.

I criticize my own performance as well, as does every serious fighter at any level.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every fight has something to criticize. I criticize my own performance as well, as does every serious fighter at any level.

Yeah. Honest self-criticism is essential for improvement and growth.

BTW, LFJ, since you are open to criticism, why the secrecy? We know who KPM is (Keith P. Myers, USA), who Anerlich is (Andrew Nerlich, Australia), of course I'm Geezer (Steve Frerichs, here in Phoenix, AZ).... so who are you in real life? What country do you live in? And, if it's not too much to ask, who have you trained WSL-VT with? Obviously, they made a deep impression on you. How about sharing?

Reactions: KPM

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, LFJ, since you are open to criticism, why the secrecy?

It's no "secrecy". I just don't care to share personal details on here and see no reason to. It's a discussion board, not a dating site.

Some people do. Some don't. No one is obligated to, or more "credible" if they do. Arugments need to either stand or fall on their own.

If you want to criticize my views on VT/WC/martial arts, you don't need to know my name, where I live, what I look like...

That's just KPM's last resort to discredit me when he talks himself into a corner but can't just be honest about it. As if not seeing my face invalidates all points I make.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^^ You have no credibility when you make claims that you can't back up. You have no credibility when you harshly criticize what others are doing in a video but won't produce a video that shows how you would do it better. You have no credibility when you make fun of and denigrate what others choose to share in video, discouraging anyone from wanting to continue or begin to share video. You have no credibility when you are consistently "unfriendly" towards people on the forum. You have no credibility when YOU talk yourself into a corner and then use "double talk" and diversion to get out of it. You have no credibility when you repeatedly refuse to answer questions or elaborate on what you are saying. It shouldn't take goading and repeated prompting to get someone to share even a little bit about their system. You're either here to share and discuss freely or you are not. If you are just here to criticize others......