Why Tai Chi ?

Why do you practice Tai Chi?

• For its fighting applications; the Martial Arts aspect of it

• For its ealth benefits, or for its relaxing atmosphere.

Results are only viewable after voting.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm interested in how many people here, who study tai chi, do so for the martial or fighting aspect of it, and how many simply for its health benefits. Obviously, many do it for both, but I'm interested in the main reason you practice this system.

7sm

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dabbled in it for awhile mainly to make a comparison to my own art(s) It was quite interesting noting the similarities and differences. a worthwhile journey! It helped me to understand some of the elements of my own arts better.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by stickarts
I dabbled in it for awhile mainly to make a comparison to my own art(s) It was quite interesting noting the similarities and differences. a worthwhile journey! It helped me to understand some of the elements of my own arts better.

Ditto! It was interesting and enlightening.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That brings up a good question as well....different thread.

7sm

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While I study both the martial and non-martial aspects of it, I appreciate Taijiquan mostly for its health aspects. Why? For most people, actual fights are rare. Health, on the other hand, is an everyday concern.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
While I study both the martial and non-martial aspects of it, I appreciate Taijiquan mostly for its health aspects. Why? For most people, actual fights are rare. Health, on the other hand, is an everyday concern.

Very well said! This is a major concept in Taiji that alot of people ignore or do not understand. The overall health.

7sm

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I originaly began studying for the health aspect, but have found through my instructors teachings, that i now enjoy the martial side also.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you guys that understand the Martial aspect side of taiji, do you guys practice in push hands much?

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor refused to teach us push hands, though we often asked. I don't know why.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
My instructor refused to teach us push hands, though we often asked. I don't know why.

Some of the more traditional taiji instructors feel push hands directly opose the principles of taiji. They feel that the competative nature destroys true taiji.

In my opinion, push hands is where its at. Thats where you learn to applications and gain the martial skill that is so abundant in taiji.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis
Some of the more traditional taiji instructors feel push hands directly opose the principles of taiji. They feel that the competative nature destroys true taiji.

This is exactly the impression I got, but the language barrier posed a problem for verifying it--we could only really communicate when the instructor's bilingual daughter came to class.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

In my opinion, push hands is where its at. Thats where you learn to applications and gain the martial skill that is so abundant in taiji.

7sm
That's the problem with most push-hands instruction these days, it's being taught as a competition rather than as a developmental drill. It should be seen in much the same way that a boxer views speed-bag training- a drill to develop attributes, but not an end in itself.

My instructor started me on push-hands about 1 to 1 1/2 years into training. He wanted to make sure I was fairly grounded in the form before starting to push. We worked on applications for the movements from day one, though.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems no one has the patience to study taiji long enough to be really truly good in skill.

Kinda sad to me.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor left town. There are no other instructors here in town. She left her senior student in charge, but her senior student was quite junior and didn't even know the entire long form or any of the sword forms (she had been through them, but didn't have them memorized).

I wrote about it here. I had been enjoying it! The sword forms were cool.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first thing we did was push hands - I love it. I study Taiqi for the martial aspects - its rare to find an MA that bases its principles on yielding.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eldritch Knight
The first thing we did was push hands - I love it. I study Taiqi for the martial aspects - its rare to find an MA that bases its principles on yielding.

Yielding is a big principle in Taji as well as kung fu, its a hard principle to master. In fact, maybe one of the hardest. It goes hand in hand with feeling as well.

7sm

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Purely for health reasons. Years of back problems compounded by being a workaholic for too long for an unreasonable boss led to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a bad attitude.

I had always been interested in martial arts but it was taboo in my family. My new boss knew of my interest and brought me a Tai Chi video and the rest is history. I feel better in my 40s than I did in my teens and 20s. So much in fact that I felt fit enough to start TaeKwonDo.

I know I am only scratching the surface of what Tai Chi has to offer by using a video. I would prefer to learn from a master but I wasn't able to find one close enough.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats great that you are receiving the benefits of taiji.
It is too bad however that you are unable to find a teacher, it is much more awesome if able to be taught from a good instructor.

7sm