Why Silat?

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ballance and counter ballance, as if the force of compensation is compounded by the torque generated from the core. these are like pre reflex actions ,when the foot go's up, the arm wants to go out any way.
so why not beat the response, use that energy for an intended strike on another line.the weights and measure vary depending on which kick you do .for entering i say kick but mostly i want to say knee, most kicks start with a knee, like alot srikes start from an elbow. before I was refering to
a very tight diagonal kick that can act as an advancing weapon and doesnt interfere with upward stability. target can be head to toe striking surface the whole leg

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
every big word,is just alot of small words. an advanced technique is only advanced ability, skill and timing.with this every technique is always advanced.its skill before style not style before skill. your skill is your style

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
silat is an art of harmony, its practioners are relaxed, focused on their breathing and the flow of thier energy, always yielding ,always inviting,always touching with out attatchment, always conected with out commitment.moving with freedom of choice, led only by awareness of
an endless moment.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
one thing for sure ,you can't be tense or up tight and do silat. its physiologicaly imposable.calmness of mind body and spirit,a one ness with internal conflicts and imperfections.realizing there is no perfection just hard earned self improvements.and it does take a clairity of mind ,to begin to process all the possibilities that the jurus can present.and it takes almost a physicians knowledge to fully understand their effects.could describe it myself as a joyfull journey into a very deep and philosophical martial art.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
silat is kind of like ,THAI BOXING wraped in a dance then twisted into a pretzle.fierce and gracious,like tigers in lotus

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Soooo Beautiful, Sleepy now. Your statement about touching with out attachment. How do you explain the Mande Muda Crying on the Shoulder position (Before an arm bar & set of Sapus) from a crashing entry? A lot of what you post is not descriptive enough for someone like me with only say 15 years or so in Silat. I was always taught to press in & attach. Wether or not you answer with a poem (Fortune Cookie Speak) or not, if it adresses the question, I would be pleased to discuss. Not an attack man, just wanna discuss on a lower level of written communication. Ya know down here where I am. LOL. PEACE

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hah, grappling is attatchment,silat is more of an over shaddowing.if your crying on someones shoiulder Jimi its probably cause they got you in a headlock.when you grab them theyve got you too.why they say that, is to your use your head like an ahchor .its the downward weight pressure from your head on their shoulder I guess if you were to bite them at that point there would be valid attatchment.again its semantics attached implies being at a fixed position in time.their is no time for the term in silat.if it happens its a mistake.we dont grapple.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I write in efin unfinished thought.what you want to focus on is the pressure and angle. catch and release, attatch and repell not attatchment your presence should be almost ghostly in perpetual transition.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
, repell them at the ground or another attacker .didnt mean repel yourself backwards.that should help.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hmmm...

Jimi has an excellent point.

the technique of crash advancing off balance is used to physically displace the opponent a bit. you 'steal' his balance by 'bouncing' off him slightly and gets knocked out of position. end result is you are now balanced and driving, and he is moving back or down and is off both balance and structure.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ah, but do we really want to move them back?,seems too easy for them to knee or kick etc..isnt better to make em go to one side or the other. throw their head into an elbow.why just move them when you can bring them into something? cross up their footing in the process.maybe Im missing your point.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the funny thing is how many options at every juncture just two arms two legs two shoulders a million things you can do.in the space of a few feet.
yeah you bump em they move back a bit as you close as long as you can close faster than they are moving back its still your time not theirs.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that to always press them back is not always the best per condition or situation. But to say pushing them back can allow them to knee or kick, is not something I can agree with. In Bama Lethwei & Muay Thai, pressing in a clinch makes it difficult for them to do either a kick or knee. A lot of Silat finishes that I have seen do grapple, right to the ground, though most are to finish a guy then move on, not dry humping like in UFC. I can appreciate your points Infinite Beginner, I hope you can see mine too. PEACE

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A good portion of silat is ground fighting nothing wrong with following them to the ground.and a clinch situation the compression can kill the kicks
no problem with that.but thats more of a mutual nuetralization.not a real good silat scenario to be in ,but good to know how to counter it.also if your going to bump them back, its better fire a strike on the way that will disturb and distort their structure toward a foreward or sideways angle.so the bump is ten fold intensified.if your a little off ballance and someone bumps into you its like a battering ram.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. Although I figured strikes throughout an entry is taken for typical. Every Step a Kick or Knee, Every Knee or Kick a Step. I also like a good shin lever if the guy is strong of leg, my Luar Sapu Dalem can shin lever him right down. This discussion I like. PEACE Infinite Beginner.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Typically two entering strikes .one to occupy,distract etc if it connects fine if it doesnt,fine , main purpose is a set up ,so as .to let the second strike slip under the radar.Its purpose is desruction and meticulous ,precision manipulation.this determines the level of stability they will have once you' ve closed range.which in turn determines the amount of effort needed to execute any technique.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
your only as good as the expectations of your teachers,silat is an internal
art its not meant to be gone thru or ever completed its a circle of straight lines that go on forever.no half way point will meet you on the path.its fighting yoga .all you gather and dont use you will lose. the jurus keep EVERYTHING alive. one juru motion should instantly reference a dozen techniques.

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This material is by far the greatest, most philosophical fighting material I have ever heard. I need to find myself a silat school. I want to learn how to use this concept of continuous strikes with balance etc. My school has a mix of jkd/kali/silat in it, but I just really want to devote my teachings to primarily this stuff and I want a teacher who can thoroughly go into debt with the patterns and movements like you have hear.

Great stuff.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah, but do we really want to move them back

the displacement is slight. i was going to use the term bump, but that doesnt really address it very well either. cutting is another term that is used for this, i think.

and they wont move back, regardless, because you have your hands on them.

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
redant and infinte, what states do you live in?

Also, where did your teachers get their certifications?
(were they born in the US)

I am just curious because you both seem to have such precise knowledge on the art.