Why should law enforcement officers train BJJ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless I’m looking at it wrong....a Kimura is problematic when it comes to weapon retention.

Now with two or more officers....Kimuras work well for getting the persons hands behind their back for handcuffing.

Hammerlock. Standing kimura the guy flips all over the place. But same concept pretty much.

I have tried the kimura depending on where my arms were at the time. But mostly for two on one.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hammerlock. Standing kimura the guy flips all over the place. But same concept pretty much.

I have tried the kimura depending on where my arms were at the time. But mostly for two on one.

The hammerlock and beef wellington are my main techniques I use. Really like those techniques.

Also from behind, full nelsons work great for putting guys up against the wall for pat downs...makes it hard and/or impossible for them to draw a weapon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The hammerlock and beef wellington are my main techniques I use. Really like those techniques.

Also from behind, full nelsons work great for putting guys up against the wall for pat downs...makes it hard and/or impossible for them to draw a weapon.

There is a double overhook from behind that I use for that kind of thing. I call it the chick lock. Because it restrains people without having to touch their boobies.

And I can get a hand free while securing both of theirs.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So that while the officer is rolling around on the ground with the perp, the perp’s friend can remove his side arm.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that while the officer is rolling around on the ground with the perp, the perp’s friend can remove his side arm.
If he's on the ground, BJJ is probably a good bet for avoiding that happening. And cops stand a reasonable chance of being on the ground from time to time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bench mark was MMA. If I threw someone in to a ring fight with the same training cops get. I probably should get sued for negligence.

There is some sort of disconnect there.
No, there's no disconnect -- because a ring fight is not the same as taking someone into custody, nor is it the same as fighting for your life.

But that's a road we've traveled, and a horse that's been beaten sufficiently. To spare it more suffering, let's just agree to disagree...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, there's no disconnect -- because a ring fight is not the same as taking someone into custody, nor is it the same as fighting for your life.

But that's a road we've traveled, and a horse that's been beaten sufficiently. To spare it more suffering, let's just agree to disagree...

OK. So its easier which is why you don't need as much preparation?

Because if you are trying to suggest it is harder or has more risk. Then there is a pretty big disconnect.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he's on the ground, BJJ is probably a good bet for avoiding that happening. And cops stand a reasonable chance of being on the ground from time to time.

And you still have to solve the problem in front of you before you solve the potential problems.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the best systems a LEO could learn is Krav Maga. A good Israeli Krav Maga school will give you a well rounded dose of useful techniques from various arts. Philly Police started training in it. IMO, you're not going to find a better balance of useful techniques, including weapons training, than a good Krav Maga program. Of course, good conditioning goes a long way too.

Philly police get advanced training to avoid use of deadly force

Latest Discussions