Why pseudonyms and pseudo pictures?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this so here it is.

What am I missing or have missed? Not wanting to create an arguement or hurt any feelings just want to understand why so many use pseudonyms and pseudo pictures for themselves? Is it a game I simply don’t understand? Or, are most unhappy with whom they are and want to be associated as something else? Please don’t take this to mean you have problems, I simply do not understand why you want to be known by or call something other than your name or to be look upon or recognized by a picture of something you are not. Are you hiding? Do what othe's to not know who you are yet want them to know your opinions?

Help me here what am I missing? I have spoke with several other's on line and tell me it is just what you do. Why? What is the purpose of having a "handle"?

Danny Terrell

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, at least initially, it has to do with anonymity. The internet can be a dangerous place and until I get to really know or trust someone online I don't want my real name or likeness easily accessible by anyone. Also, user names and avatars can provide subtle, or not so subtle, details about the person. Your friends are right. It's just something you do.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Danny,

Some people use handles as security, not wanting their real names/IDs used to avoid unwanted harassment from other online people, avoid harrassment, etc. Others just do it, like you said, because it is what they do. The use of Avatars is to each their own as well. Some use Avatars to depict their art, who they inspire to be, to send a message or just because it is fun. I don't think anyone is "hiding" per say, some are just having some fun. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used handles for years, a carry over from my old BBS days. Recently, on boards I'm more professionally involved in, I switched to my real name. It adds credibility. I've used a ton of different avatars over the years, my current one is me, but with some artistic licence tossed in. Same as my profile pic. It's me, in a costume I've worn at sci-fi cons, which I'm a regular attendee of.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you do something illegal there are ways for people to find out who you really are if they need to. If you post up real information about you then people who just dont like what you say can get a hold on you.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i dont understand your question anyway!
but usually online communities use what's called "handles"
for security reasons i guess
plus, if u have a chance to change ur name wouldnt u do it?
i would!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as has been said it has long been an internet tradition and a way of protecting ones true idenity.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of reasons Danny, depending upon who you talk to:
  • Anonymity [as already stated]
  • A little escapism [we may be John Smith 9-5, on here, we can be whomever]
  • A little fantasy [just like reading a book or watching a movie and seeing yourself in the main character's role]
  • A little egotism [we all like to see ourselves in the most positive light and attract attention to ourselves in that light]
  • A bit of fun [in the end, I'm sure none of us take our handles too seriously]

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just trying to be creative. Bart Simpson played the "Touch Of Death" video game instead of attending Kenpo class; so, I felt this was a like concept. I tell people my name but I'm not sure my image is a good thing to have people gluing to a speed bag while playing "Eye Of The Tiger". I can basicly attend any seminar and not have to answer for anything I have said. Putting my image up would change that I spect. Truthfully though, I chose a handle because that was the situation I had stumbled onto when I discovered the site.
Sean Wold

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my handle from a bit of song lyrics about a knight errant without too much in the way of brains. I've found it fits.

My picture was drawn in Paint by a friend with whom I've since lost touch. Like my handle, I use it out of love.

If you want my real name, it's only one click away in my profile. My location is there as well. Since there are only 5 houses in my valley, it identifies me pretty uniquely. I look forward to your visit, the beer is cold.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the old-timers (online since before 92) in this thread. Back in the day, the net was a new world. I gave myself a new name, as did many. It's fallen, gently, into tradition.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
I am a Kenpoist.. that's me in my avatar.. my name is Tess.. No hiding anything here :)

How very cryptic...WHAT ARE TRYING TO HIDE??

heheh

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
MOst of the same reasons here that everyone else has stated, it is a personal protection thing and just make it just that much harder for anyone to figure out who I am....there are a lot of freaks out there and unfortunetally sometimes they sign up for MT....

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much my primary motivation is security/privacy. You release your name, your city and picture, someone can find your street address. Have a disagreement with someone mentally unstable and you have some serious problems. Also alot of predators out there, you have to be careful. I started using a handle and not telling people my name after an online person sent me a package against my wishes. Freaked me out.

I've heard alot of people in the past discuss escapism. Sometimes a handle can give you an idea of what the person enjoys. Its alot more descriptive than "joe smith".

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know of any place where your avatar is only supposed to be your picture. I'm not trying to pass myself off as the cheshire cat. I'm just not that cool. You're avatar is just supposed to be something you like, for fun.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because "Kung Pow" is a hilarious movie. And Mr. T...well, you know...

I use my real name on my strength forums.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because I live in freakin' America and I can freakin' use whatever name I freakin' want to and use any freakin' picture I got! It's my freakin' institutional right, it is and ... and.... oh what the hell.

Tradition, anonymity, it's cute and because I freakin' want to. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
MOst of the same reasons here that everyone else has stated, it is a personal protection thing and just make it just that much harder for anyone to figure out who I am....there are a lot of freaks out there and unfortunetally sometimes they sign up for MT....
I resent that!

Latest Discussions