Why Only Seeing ONe Viewpoint Is Bad

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24231904

I read this short tale on the BBC this morning and it struck me as a good example of what I have tangentially referred to before when speaking in the religious or political spheres. That being that only surrounding yourself with one point of view is very bad for your state of mind. For what was done externally to Robert Ford is done by many to themselves to the point that they become convinced that only the view they hold is correct and everyone else is wrong. Once that level of conviction is reached, it feeds upon itself and it takes a lot of effort to break its grip on a persons mind, allowing them to see once more that the world is much more complex and convoluted than is encompassed by one ideology.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it was interesting to read, with, food for thought. Sometimes people feel that open mindedness, while entertaining someone else's point of view, is some how caving into their ideology. I tend to steer away from people like this for fear of sounding like an empty gong in my own mind. While I feel it is good to have our own convictions, to be truly open minded means to allow others the freedom of their convictions without always trying to change them. In doing this, can we truly stay free and grow, as appose to getting stuck in the mire of one tract mindedness which makes us as a species, very boring...........

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the topic I guess. Somethings are just wrong. Some things are just right. If I know something is just wrong why would I need to hear the other sides opinion. Easiest example would be http://www.nambla.org/faq.html I have no reason to hear their side of things. Now admittedly this is an extreme example but it gets the point across there are plenty of people that believe that crap. You can find people that believe anything. Just because people believe it doesn't mean it deserves a seat at the table.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24231904

I read this short tale on the BBC this morning and it struck me as a good example of what I have tangentially referred to before when speaking in the religious or political spheres. That being that only surrounding yourself with one point of view is very bad for your state of mind. For what was done externally to Robert Ford is done by many to themselves to the point that they become convinced that only the view they hold is correct and everyone else is wrong. Once that level of conviction is reached, it feeds upon itself and it takes a lot of effort to break its grip on a persons mind, allowing them to see once more that the world is much more complex and convoluted than is encompassed by one ideology.

It seems to me that you can afford a dose of your own medicine. You appear to be fanatical in your disdain for and anger against religion, especially if it makes any claim towards being 'Christian.' That is of course your privilege. Anyone with a belief should have reasons for the belief. Be it scientific fact, or faith based. Hopefully one with beliefs can articulate then rationally even if only to relate their faith.

Now as to brain washing techniques, I would be against that myself, including in anything that calls itself religion. I have not been brain washed into my beliefs. Can you say the same?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems to me that you can afford a dose of your own medicine. You appear to be fanatical in your disdain for and anger against religion, especially if it makes any claim towards being 'Christian.' That is of course your privilege. Anyone with a belief should have reasons for the belief. Be it scientific fact, or faith based. Hopefully one with beliefs can articulate then rationally even if only to relate their faith.

Now as to brain washing techniques, I would be against that myself, including in anything that calls itself religion. I have not been brain washed into my beliefs. Can you say the same?
I disagree I've offered him my prayers many times and he's been respectful and thankful for my thoughts. Going through what he has can tarnish even the most devout believer. I've never seen him be rude in his debate over religion and even excuse himself from a debate before becoming offensive.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, Ballen :bows:.

I do have a bit of a 'blind spot' with organised religion tho', it cannot be denied. I try to recognise that instinctive reaction when it rears up and either divert it or quieten it before it becomes a disruption to conversation but I am not always successful :eek:.

But with the OP, I was really referring to a wide, encompassing, approach to all things rather than one thing alone. It is true that we all have issues that, whilst we might have thought on them deeply in the past, our minds are now made up and that can stop us revisiting and rethinking matters. As I noted in my opening words, conviction has a dark side and it pays to shine a light on the things you are convinced are true every now and again, just to check.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Of course, if you had been brainwashed, this is exactly what you'd say...

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MT. Where many posters are full of ....

Confirmation bias. http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/confirmation_bias.htm

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
In politics, confirmation bias explains, for example, why people with right-wing views buy right-wing newspapers
and why people with left-wing views buy left wing newspapers. In general people both:

* Want to be exposed to information and opinions that confirm what they already believe.
* Have a desire to ignore, or not be exposed to, information or opinions that challenge things what they already believe.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nyhan/nyhan-reifler.pdf
When Corrections Fail:
The persistence of political misperceptions

It's what I try to rigorously become aware of in my own thinking, and remove.

Do you?
yeah, if you think I'm asking _you_, you're probably right.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Possibly a little sting on these cheeks from that one, Adrasteia :D. You try to avoid it as best you can but when you keep butting up against things that run counter to how you think the world is, it is all too human to seek evidence that supports what you already think :nods:.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree I've offered him my prayers many times and he's been respectful and thankful for my thoughts. Going through what he has can tarnish even the most devout believer. I've never seen him be rude in his debate over religion and even excuse himself from a debate before becoming offensive.

The only argument I have with the above is that I intended to imply there was something wrong with Sukerkin personally. I only meant that perhaps he needed to be more open in his view of religion.

Possibly a little sting on these cheeks from that one, Adrasteia :D. You try to avoid it as best you can but when you keep butting up against things that run counter to how you think the world is, it is all too human to seek evidence that supports what you already think :nods:.

Looking at other people's reasons for believing what they do, should be enlightening. I try to be open minded in things, to the point of being willing to see other sides of issures. I think if I want to contest (hopefully politely) with others, I need to know what the basis for their belief is. There may be occasions where I will come to agree with other's way of thinking.

But normally I will cling to my own beliefs. I will just be better educated. Nothing wrong with that.