Why Nunchucks are not selling in certain states?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I bought nunchucks and chinese stars in the 70's are they legal to own?

The only person I ever hurt with my nunchucks was myself.
I guess if you knew how to use them , they would be helpful.
I prefer a bo staff, never hurt myself with a bo.
Old as I am I could probably get by with a cane.
You could get by with a cane, regardless. I've used them off and on (crappy knees and a very arthritic toe) since my 20's. When I want to take a stick with me on my travels, the TSA doesn't stop me from bringing a nice oak cane on the plane.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bo means staff. Are you from the Department of Redundancy Department?
I suspect this usage is common because in spoken English "bo" sounds like "bow" and the speaker wants to make it clear they aren't talking about archery. As evidence for this conjecture, there is no corresponding usage of "kama sickle" or "nunchaku flail" or "hanbo stick". The disambiguation isn't necessary in those cases.

It isn't necessary in text usage either, but habits do carry over.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect this usage is common because in spoken English "bo" sounds like "bow" and the speaker wants to make it clear they aren't talking about archery. As evidence for this conjecture, there is no corresponding usage of "kama sickle" or "nunchaku flail" or "hanbo stick". The disambiguation isn't necessary in those cases.

Given how often it's said while the person is holding a bo, it's not often necessary then, either.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends. Local laws vary. Go check.

Bo means staff. Are you from the Department of Redundancy Department?
Great point. I’m going to run over to the ATM machine, then I’ll be back to check how this thread’s working out.

Reminds me, I should probably change my PIN number.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great point. I’m going to run over to the ATM machine, then I’ll be back to check how this thread’s working out.

You know, if you're in a hurry to get that money to someone, you could write a check and send it by FedEx Express.

(On a related note, Microsoft recently added the ability to log in to Windows 10 with a PIN, rather than a password. Your "PIN" can include letters, numbers, and special characters. SIGH.)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, if you're in a hurry to get that money to someone, you could write a check and send it by FedEx Express.
You act like that’s not a thing...
ECAEA150-97BC-4CEF-ACEB-02BBA19BE400.jpeg

Jackasses. That’s all I could think the first time I saw one of those.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

Thank you.
You noticed by calling a bo a bo staff, I have defined the bo as a staff and later in the same sentence I call it a bo.
When I have a bo in hand, I call it a bo.
When talking with someone unfamiliar with a bo, I call it a staff.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You act like that’s not a thing...
View attachment 22064
Jackasses. That’s all I could think the first time I saw one of those.
That was my reaction the first time they put Express after it. I actually thought they were doing well when they shortened the name to FedEx, since that's what we all called it, anyway.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

More silly things I hear people say. I just say PIN, or ATM.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect this usage is common because in spoken English "bo" sounds like "bow"

In English English, 'bo' is said as a short word ( 1x O) and 'bow' (imagine it with 2 x O) as a longer word so there tends not to be confusion. Other English such as Scots/Welsh/irish etc tend to difficult to understand anyway. :D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was my reaction the first time they put Express after it. I actually thought they were doing well when they shortened the name to FedEx, since that's what we all called it, anyway.
Funny how Federal Express got turned into FedEx, yet Pony Express didn’t do PonEx.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In English English, 'bo' is said as a short word ( 1x O) and 'bow' (imagine it with 2 x O) as a longer word so there tends not to be confusion. Other English such as Scots/Welsh/irish etc tend to difficult to understand anyway. :D
In some areas of the US, you can tell the difference between the words in the local dialect. In the Southeast, EVERY word has a long vowel, usually nearly two syllables. So, both end up sounding like "bow(uh)" in the extreme version of the common dialect. And somehow they do that without moving their mouths.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In some areas of the US, you can tell the difference between the words in the local dialect. In the Southeast, EVERY word has a long vowel, usually nearly two syllables. So, both end up sounding like "bow(uh)" in the extreme version of the common dialect. And somehow they do that without moving their mouths.

In Korean, every written word must be have least two syllables.Now, obviously not all words have two syllables, so they invented a silent character to provide the second syllable.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Korean, every written word must be have least two syllables.Now, obviously not all words have two syllables, so they invented a silent character to provide the second syllable.
So, is it a silent second syllable? That sounds like cheating at Scrabble.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this really true? I can think of a lot of one syllable Korean words. "Room" for example, is 방, "Bang".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this really true? I can think of a lot of one syllable Korean words. "Room" for example, is 방, "Bang".

No, it's not. I misspoke (that happens sometimes when you post at 4AM...).

Every syllable must have at least two characters.

ㅇ is silent at the beginning of a word or syllable. At the end of a word, (specifically the example you listed) it sounds like "ng".
ㅎ is silent at the end of a word.

And at least it's consistent, unlike English rules. Like "I before E Except After C" which, weirdly (see that word?) is more of a guideline than a rule.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it's not. I misspoke (that happens sometimes when you post at 4AM...).

Every syllable must have at least two characters.

ㅇ is silent at the beginning of a word or syllable.
ㅎ is silent at the end of a word.

And at least it's consistent, unlike English rules. Like "I before E Except After C" which, weirdly (see that word?) is more of a guideline than a rule.
Yeah, English is a collection of loosely applied and sometimes conflicting rules, in terms of both spelling and pronunciation. Sometimes that's due to having multiple roots (Latin, Greek, Germanic, French influences), sometimes it's because of the lack of rules for spelling in the past (even proper names were often spelled phonetically, which meant they differed by region), and sometimes because we simply can't be bothered with consistency.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, in the US, you cannot buy Nun chucks because they are dangerous, but You can by a gun, shed loads of ammo, so you and your mates can go shooting beer cans after a skin full of beer?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, in the US, you cannot buy Nun chucks because they are dangerous, but You can by a gun, shed loads of ammo, so you and your mates can go shooting beer cans after a skin full of beer?

No, that is not how it is at all.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, that is not how it is at all.
I know about the constitution, right to bear arms, and I am not against gun ownership, are you telling me, the ordinary man with a gun licence cannot go to a gun shop, buy some ammo, and shoot some targets in or on his own land.

Latest Discussions