Why Nunchucks are not selling in certain states?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because nunchucks are weapons, and many states believe weapons are too dangerous for people to have.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because nunchucks are weapons, and many states believe weapons are too dangerous for people to have.
Ok then riddle me this batman....why can I go to the store and by a gun but I can not buy nunchucks

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok then riddle me this batman....why can I go to the store and by a gun but I can not buy nunchucks

You expect laws to actually make sense?
Look at the current fury trying to ban "assault rifles" like the AR-15 - which is NOT an assault rifle.
Rifles are used in 1% of all gun homicides. ONE percent. But let's ban them.
9 teens are killed every day in the US by using their cell phones while driving. But let's not ban cell phones or cars.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Weapon laws are based on what's scary, not what works.

Plus guns require background checks and melee weapons do not.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Background checks, that's a knee slapper. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You expect laws to actually make sense?
Look at the current fury trying to ban "assault rifles" like the AR-15 - which is NOT an assault rifle.
Rifles are used in 1% of all gun homicides. ONE percent. But let's ban them.
9 teens are killed every day in the US by using their cell phones while driving. But let's not ban cell phones or cars.

Here driving while using a mobile phone will get you a big fine and points on your licence, and perhaps even banned from driving.

Why is always 'ban things' what's wrong with common sense measures. Why can't people sit together and thrash out a proper code of practice?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here driving while using a mobile phone will get you a big fine and points on your licence, and perhaps even banned from driving.

Why is always 'ban things' what's wrong with common sense measures. Why can't people sit together and thrash out a proper code of practice?

Well, I'd say using a mobile while driving has been fairly sensibly done...

Handheld use, as above.

Hands-free use is allowed, unless it's compromising your driving (but does it not then come under the due care and attention umbrella?) the same as two-way radio usage.

Weapons rules are confusing though - I've only skimmed them (which can't help) but age and curvature seem to come into play with swords for a start...

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weapon laws are based on what's scary, not what works.

Plus guns require background checks and melee weapons do not.
Your not thinking it through far enough. I can get a background check and a permit to carry a gun. Why do our laws not also allow to have a background check and permit for nunchucks?

It is because these laws are all a political dog and pony show for politicians to get votes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your not thinking it through far enough. I can get a background check and a permit to carry a gun. Why do our laws not also allow to have a background check and permit for nunchucks?

It is because these laws are all a political dog and pony show for politicians to get votes.
I'd argue that a fair number of silly laws were created by people who actually though the laws were a good idea.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd argue that a fair number of silly laws were created by people who actually though the laws were a good idea.
except we are not talking about a fair number of silly laws, i am talking about the martial arts weapons law.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
except we are not talking about a fair number of silly laws, i am talking about the martial arts weapons law.
I think many of the folks who voted for those (perhaps even those who wrote them) thought they were a good idea. In many cases, lawmakers aren't much more informed than the general public, who were afraid of those things because of the MA movies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reactions: pdg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whose age and curvature? I'm reckoning it's likely I'd be allowed more weapons than most of you here in that case as I have more age and curves................;)

I couldn't possibly judge that :D

But, where it says:

"It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:"

Does that mean I can make anything on that list for myself - or does "bring into the UK" also cover "bring into being"?

I mean, I wouldn't be importing or otherwise trading for it ;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
because those are very deadly weapons, that are more powerful than a gun. It's true because I saw it on youtube.

But before you can be that good you have to go through special training

Law makers make stupid laws sometimes, just google stupid laws for your state and you'll see a bunch of them. It's like hoshin stated, people who know nothing about the weapons made laws based on what they saw in the movies and heard in mystical stories about ninjas who were unstoppable. The reality is that you'll find more people hitting themselves in the nuts or the head with those things than taking down 15 people.
What happens at 2:30 in the video just isn't going to happen. Good for a movie but not accurate with reality. Just another stupid law. Here have a gun that can hold a crap load of bullets, but the nunchaku are just too dangerous.

Now in all seriousness after typing that stuff I looked up the real answer and here's what I found. Source http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/nunchucks-and-the-law.html

1. Nunchucks are "widely used by muggers and street gangs and ha[ve] been the cause of many serious injuries"; and

2. The bill's sponsor maintained that the nunchaku "is designed primarily as a weapon and has no purpose other than to maim or, in some instances, kill."

The court's decision meant that New York had a rational basis for banning nunchucks.

If you thought the law was stupid before then now it's even more so. Muggers and street gangs using them? yeah those days are gone lol. Number 2 is just as stupid.
Hmm, learned something from that last Donnie Yen fight scene I need to try.

Apparently taking off your shirt makes your kung fu at least 3 times as effective.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't possibly judge that :D

But, where it says:

"It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:"

Does that mean I can make anything on that list for myself - or does "bring into the UK" also cover "bring into being"?

I mean, I wouldn't be importing or otherwise trading for it ;)

You can make what you like just don't carry it out in public without a very good reason. Selling stuff is difficult, not because of the legality or not of weapons but because HRMC are clamping down on private sellers of anything, they want the taxes, VAT and income tax. they watch all the selling sites, car boots etc to see who is selling as a business.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently taking off your shirt makes your kung fu at least 3 times as effective.

Mmm I could try that, great distraction technique.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can make what you like just don't carry it out in public without a very good reason. Selling stuff is difficult, not because of the legality or not of weapons but because HRMC are clamping down on private sellers of anything, they want the taxes, VAT and income tax. they watch all the selling sites, car boots etc to see who is selling as a business.

I'd only be concerned with legality if I was to make anything to sell - any income would go through the books anyway (the stuff I'm already registered to do on a self employed basis would cover it) so HMRC would know anyway.

Theoretically I could make a gun, which I'd be in the doodoo for just having it sat in a cupboard at home if it was found - but I could also make a switchblade or a "throwing star"... All I've found with regard to that sort of thing relates to import/sale/purchase/gifting with no mention of possession through other means.

Obviously if I were to carry it about I'd deserve everything I got...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It’s not just kung fu that gets more effective. Even trailer-park style benefits...

Springer is full of examples.

Latest Discussions