Why Nunchucks are not selling in certain states?

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I tried to purchase nunchaku, but some martial arts supplies online stores stop selling these to several states especially where I live in California. Why is that?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because legislators in a knee jerk and fear driven move many years ago, made the sale and/or possession of them outside narrow circumstances illegal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Perhaps no one was buying them? :)

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I tried to purchase nunchaku, but some martial arts supplies online stores stop selling these to several states especially where I live in California. Why is that?

Same reason you can't buy certain guns or knives. Stupid laws made my people with El Zilcho experience with the things they are making laws restricting...or experience with the things they are trying to stop.

Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
DAMN THAT TED KENNEDY... dont get me started. i will need anger management classes after just thinking about it.
yes its because in the 1980's the legislators who wanted to be tuff on crime made them illegal. nunchucks, chinese stars (fair amount of identity confusion in that name) manrikigusari or any other chain with weights on the ends were all made illegal during the ninja craze.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing is, here in San Francisco, you can walk through Chinatown and find these things selling openly in a lot of the stores there. Not just the toy nunchaku with foam padding, but wooden ones, and throwing stars, and all manner of knives and swords and other random sharp paraphernalia. Most of it is low quality, but real stuff nonetheless.

So I don't really understand the law, to be honest.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The thing is, here in San Francisco, you can walk through Chinatown and find these things selling openly in a lot of the stores there. Not just the toy nunchaku with foam padding, but wooden ones, and throwing stars, and all manner of knives and swords and other random sharp paraphernalia. Most of it is low quality, but real stuff nonetheless.

So I don't really understand the law, to be honest.

The big Chinatowns seem to have their own laws as for the laws of the sates they are in, they seem to follow those if it brings in tourists but beyond that they do not really follow them unless the police are around. Much the same as on Mainland China

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T DO THAT!
no no no...it's not only possession. It is a federal crime to have these weapons mailed to you if you live in a restriction state.

Have the seller mark them up as 'sex toys', though I have this horrible feeling that certain places will view them worse than martial arts weapons!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
because those are very deadly weapons, that are more powerful than a gun. It's true because I saw it on youtube.

But before you can be that good you have to go through special training

Law makers make stupid laws sometimes, just google stupid laws for your state and you'll see a bunch of them. It's like hoshin stated, people who know nothing about the weapons made laws based on what they saw in the movies and heard in mystical stories about ninjas who were unstoppable. The reality is that you'll find more people hitting themselves in the nuts or the head with those things than taking down 15 people.
What happens at 2:30 in the video just isn't going to happen. Good for a movie but not accurate with reality. Just another stupid law. Here have a gun that can hold a crap load of bullets, but the nunchaku are just too dangerous.

Now in all seriousness after typing that stuff I looked up the real answer and here's what I found. Source http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/nunchucks-and-the-law.html

1. Nunchucks are "widely used by muggers and street gangs and ha[ve] been the cause of many serious injuries"; and

2. The bill's sponsor maintained that the nunchaku "is designed primarily as a weapon and has no purpose other than to maim or, in some instances, kill."

The court's decision meant that New York had a rational basis for banning nunchucks.

If you thought the law was stupid before then now it's even more so. Muggers and street gangs using them? yeah those days are gone lol. Number 2 is just as stupid.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have the seller mark them up as 'sex toys', though I have this horrible feeling that certain places will view them worse than martial arts weapons!
lol.. I doubt it.. They will just look at it and think WTF.. what kind of games does that person play. lol.

Knapf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phallic shaped double staffs with a chain. Urgh.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phallic shaped double staffs with a chain. Urgh.

LOL, I didn't mean actually make them like sex toys just label them as such on the outer packaging to inform Customs officers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for having things that are multi use. :)

Latest Discussions