Why most martial arts don't work in self defense.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say the best way to be able to defend yourself is to be a police officer, they carry guns and they come in great numbers.

Depending on where you live, you can have one or both of those without being a police officer.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you have to assume that your opponent will throw fast punches with intention? Why don't you assume that you will throw fast punches with intention?

If you can put your opponent in defense mode, is that the best SD strategy?

Because I won't be disadvantaged with that assumption.

If my oponant throws limp wristed noodles great. That only makes things easier.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not that difficult to train this skill.

- Get yourself a heavy bag.
- Throw left hook, right hook as fast, as powerful as you can "like a mad man". Don't stop until you get exhausted.

If you train like this for 3 years, you should be able to handle yourself in normal SD situation.

"Like a mad man" is the key word. If you are a mad man, people will be afraid of you and stay away from you. They will worry about how to defend themselves against you instead.

So the short cut for SD is to develop a single skill that you can use it to scare everybody away.

This is my favor "mad man attack" example. Instead of using left hook, right hook, he uses jab, cross.

Agreed. Also a good example on why moving straight back isn’t tactically sound against anyone, but especially against a determined aggressor.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because I won't be disadvantaged with that assumption.

If my oponant throws limp wristed noodles great. That only makes things easier.
Have you ever got into a street fight that your opponent's punches landed on your body that didn't hurt you at all? I have had that kind of experience.

I don't respect street fighter as much as you do. Most of the street fighters when they attack, they commit 100%. That will give you a lot of opportunity. In the ring or on the mat, you will never met anybody as stupid as that (100% commitment).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you ever got into a street fight that your opponent's punches landed on your body that didn't hurt you at all? I have had that kind of experience.

I don't respect street fighter as much as you do. Most of the street fighters when they attack, they commit 100%. That will give you a lot of opportunity. In the ring or on the mat, you will never met anybody as stupid as that (100% commitment).

Yeah.

But it wasn't like I sat there and was unable to deal with the guy because I had only trained to deal with guys who could fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. Also a good example on why moving straight back isn’t tactically sound against anyone, but especially against a determined aggressor.

Hard skill to pick up though.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had a student many years ago who was stopped by a Big Bad Drunk Bubba (BBDB). My student was originally from Laos so he was five feet nuting, and a hundred and nuthing pounds. After my student shut his door BBDB kicked it in and said, "I hear you're some kind of hotshot black belt" After my my student tried to reason with BBDB and assure that he was, indeed, not a hotshot, BBD tried a big looping punch at my guy. My student stepped back into a fighting stance and fired off a backfist to BBDB's nose, dropping him like a bad habit.

My student came in to the next class worried that he was going to be deported. Another student in the room was the city attorney for the town we were in. After he stopped laughing, he assured my student that there was no way he would be deported.

I call that one well defended.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a student many years ago who was stopped by a Big Bad Drunk Bubba (BBDB). My student was originally from Laos so he was five feet nuting, and a hundred and nuthing pounds. After my student shut his door BBDB kicked it in and said, "I hear you're some kind of hotshot black belt" After my my student tried to reason with BBDB and assure that he was, indeed, not a hotshot, BBD tried a big looping punch at my guy. My student stepped back into a fighting stance and fired off a backfist to BBDB's nose, dropping him like a bad habit.

My student came in to the next class worried that he was going to be deported. Another student in the room was the city attorney for the town we were in. After he stopped laughing, he assured my student that there was no way he would be deported.

Makes me glad I live in Colorado, where if you kick in my door I can just shoot you and be done with it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hard skill to pick up though.

Well, yeah, if someone is trying to figure it out on their own. There would be a lot of trial and error and a whole boot load of ice. But it could still be done that way, but there’s no reason it should be.

Just about any trainer can teach you the footwork, a really good trainer will teach you different methods of footwork that might apply to you. Everybody moves kind of different.

If there is no matador and bull kind of footwork, there should be. And teaching it is one thing, making sure that everybody gets to be both the matador AND the bull is another.

I remember that fight. I tend to yell at certain times when I watch fights on television. And Vitor was a fun guy to watch. I found it rather interesting that he wanted to be a puncher.

I remember watching and thinking about the other guy. Yelling, “side step, dude, come on!”

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah you would think that. But when that hulking guy throws them fast with intention
Many people can't stop those shots.
as i said most of what your saying has truth but is being drastically over stated as your running through your own prism of reality

your doing security, its your job to deal with the hulking guy throwing those shots. but doing MMA is not the default setting for bouncers in general,

they seem to rely on being big strong and having mates to take the big guy down.

if they in general haven't defaulted to your reality to deal with the same issue its a bit rich that, that your insisting that people who do their level best to avoid trouble need to follow your example

lets face it, doing ma as an adult is odd to start off with, most people live long and happy lives with out it. thers a fairly good chance that those that do, do it are better prepared than the population in general, particularly those like me who are well past the first flush of youth.

That big guy throwing mean punches, will probably take me out no matter what i do, but then its seems extremely unlikely that he will try to punch me at all,if i dont antagonise him and just choose to move/leave if he takes a dislike to me. but then im fairly big and can throw mean punches myself... i generally just report aggressive knob heads to the bouncers, thats their job

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
as i said most of what your saying has truth but is being drastically over stated as your running through your own prism of reality

your doing security, its your job to deal with the hulking guy throwing those shots. but doing MMA is not the default setting for bouncers in general,

they seem to rely on being big strong and having mates to take the big guy down.

if they in general haven't defaulted to your reality to deal with the same issue its a bit rich that, that your insisting that people who do their level best to avoid trouble need to follow your example

lets face it, doing ma as an adult is odd to start off with, most people live long and happy lives with out it. thers a fairly good chance that those that do, do it are better prepared than the population in general, particularly those like me who are well past the first flush of youth.

That big guy throwing mean punches, will probably take me out no matter what i do, but then its seems extremely unlikely that he will try to punch me at all,if i dont antagonise him and just choose to move/leave if he takes a dislike to me. but then im fairly big and can throw mean punches myself... i generally just report aggressive knob heads to the bouncers, thats their job
Very well said.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hi Prostar. I’m glad your student was able to have a good resolution to the conflict. I’m also glad nobody needed to get shot in the process. Everybody goes home in the end, and nobody’s family needs to have a funeral over something stupid. Hopefully the BBDB learned a lesson. That might be doubtful, but at least your student handled it well.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had only trained to deal with guys who could fight.
This is my point. If you train MA, and most guys that you have to fight on the street don't train MA, if you can't handle yourself, it just make no logical sense.

Most new students cannot do too many fist push up (flat fist surface). If one can't do fist push up, how hard can he punch on a hard surface (such as the head) without hurting his own hand?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is my point. If you train MA, and most guys that you have to fight on the street don't train MA, if you can't handle yourself, it just make no logical sense.

Most new students cannot do too many fist push up (flat fist surface). If one can't do fist push up, how hard can he punch on a hard surface (such as the head) without hurting his own hand?
well as someone who declines to do fist push ups coz its stupid, the answer is pretty dam hard, unless your putting forward the idea that fist push ups make a notable difference to if you hurt your hand or not

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
well as someone who declines to do fist push ups coz its stupid, the answer is pretty dam hard, unless your putting forward the idea that fist push ups make a notable difference to if you hurt your hand or not
If you don't sharp your weapon, how can you use it in fighting?

When

- your arm hits on my arm, or
- your leg hits my leg,

if it hurts you more than it hurt me, I have advantage.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If in your training, you always move in a circle with your opponent as the center of the circle, you won't develop moving back habit.

In my journey through the "Martial Arts in Sci-Fi and Fantasy" posts, I've been coming up with ideas for martial arts for different fantasy races in a book I may write. One of the concepts I came up with is an art with three forms: box, triangle, and circle. This idea helps me with the ideas for circle form.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't sharp your weapon, how can you use it in fighting?

i can use it perfectly well, ive gotten to 60 and have all my body working perfectly well, no dodgy knees, no knacker hip, no lumbago and particularly no arthritis in my hands,

i put this down to the fact that ive not abuse my body ( well not since i stopped being young and stupid), generally but in particular have not followed stupid practises on body strengthening from the orient, that have little to no scientific validity and even if they did strengthen id still rather have full use of my hands

i also have a fairly high thresh hold of pain, very little hurts me, i put this down largely to being clumsy and walking into things a lot, i have gashed my head wide open and not even noticed the impact

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
not abuse my body
My mother in law does not train MA. She has

- knee problem,
- back problem, and
- arthritis in her hands.

I have trained MA all my life. I don't have such issue.

I'm still running 3 miles 3 times a week. As long as my knees are OK, I'll keep running. I believe if I don't use it, I'll lose it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My mother in law does not train MA. She has

- knee problem,
- back problem, and
- arthritis in her hands.

I have trained MA all my life. I don't have such issue.

I'm still running 3 miles 3 times a week. As long as my knees are OK, I'll keep running. I believe if I don't use it, I'll lose it.
the ma on here of my sort of age and a good bit younger seem to have assorts of structure problems, its a small group but hell there is a high incidence