Why Krav Maga works

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it’s valid early in an art, because of the depth of experience shared in the country of origin, as compared to someplace where there are only a few practitioners. After a while (maybe 2-3 generations of training), it becomes dramatically less true.

Country of proficiency. Which in krav has to be Israel because there is no proficiency outside the IDF.

So say we look at muay Thai. Thai, Dutch, Australian are the places to go.

They are the powerhouse countries.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Joe Rogan never said Rousey was a better boxer than Mayweather. He said that if she ever clinched with Mayweather, he'd be taken down.

And if he was taken down, he'd be toast. There's not many things in life more fun than taking a boxer to the ground.

And personally, I think Joe Rogan knows more about MMA than anyone alive.

EDIT - and the reason that Krav works is because we, all of us here, the people who train and fight, make it work.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Joe Rogan never said Rousey was a better boxer than Mayweather. He said that if she ever clinched with Mayweather, he'd be taken down.

And if he was taken down, he'd be toast. There's not many things in life more fun than taking a boxer to the ground.

EDIT - and the reason that Krav works is because we, all of us here, the people who train and fight, make it work.

Yeah. You need to support a style based on its own merits.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah. You need to support a style based on its own merits.

Okay, sure. But I know a lot of fighters from a lot of different styles/arts that fight really well. I'm sure you do, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't, I know plenty of people who know more about MMA than he does. They've been in it longer and done more than he has.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't, I know plenty of people who know more about MMA than he does. They've been in it longer and done more than he has.

I stand with what I said. Joe's only been training for forty years, so sure, older folks might have more years in. But, man, he has some serious experience.

Even if you don't like him. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand with what I said. Joe's only been training for forty years, so sure, older folks might have more years in. But, man, he has some serious experience.

Even if you don't like him. :)

I don't dislike him, it's just he's not the be all and end all of MMA knowledge sometimes he gets it very wrong. Rogan is very public, can make his voice heard and to many is the face of MMA but it doesn't mean he knows as much as others.
Rogan didn't take up karate until he was 14, competing in TKD at 19 and stopped competing at 21. That was it until 1996/7 when he started jui-jitsu. His martial arts training is not extensive and not over 40 years at all, yes he has a BJJ black belt, an admirable achievement but one that others have also achieved.

Compare that to Lee Hasdell for example. Lee Hasdell - Wikipedia

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, sure. But I know a lot of fighters from a lot of different styles/arts that fight really well. I'm sure you do, too.

Therefore validating their process.

Get enough fighters that fight well and you have a system.

Train the IDF. And you have you have a marketing campaign. And nine out of ten beauticians agree with me.

The point is we respond so well to these labels that we stop looking at what is actually there.

Have you ever actually tasted Evian? It is tapwater.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't dislike him, it's just he's not the be all and end all of MMA knowledge sometimes he gets it very wrong. Rogan is very public, can make his voice heard and to many is the face of MMA but it doesn't mean he knows as much as others.
Rogan didn't take up karate until he was 14, competing in TKD at 19 and stopped competing at 21. That was it until 1996/7 when he started jui-jitsu. His martial arts training is not extensive and not over 40 years at all, yes he has a BJJ black belt, an admirable achievement but one that others have also achieved.

Compare that to Lee Hasdell for example. Lee Hasdell - Wikipedia

He has access to the best martial practitioners in the world. Solely to talk martial arts concepts to.

Which is hard to beat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has access to the best martial practitioners in the world. Solely to talk martial arts concepts to.

Which is hard to beat.

Are you saying talking beats actually doing? Not like you to say something like that.

It would only be hard to beat if he actually listened though, he's fond of his own voice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you saying talking beats actually doing? Not like you to say something like that.

It would only be hard to beat if he actually listened though, he's fond of his own voice.

To a certain degree because of the depth of information gained.

Doing is anecdotal. You see this with historical medicine a bit. They gained their knowlege from doing but they also have massive anecdotal gaps in their knowledge.

So what they do works but can also just walk into crazy town.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country of proficiency. Which in krav has to be Israel because there is no proficiency outside the IDF.

So say we look at muay Thai. Thai, Dutch, Australian are the places to go.

They are the powerhouse countries.
That's a reasonable approach. I don't know, though, that it's that simple to identify where the proficiency is outside competition styles. Is there more proficiency in Israel than in the US in Krav? I'm not sure how we'd figure that out. There might actually be more people working, exchanging ideas, and developing the system in the US.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a reasonable approach. I don't know, though, that it's that simple to identify where the proficiency is outside competition styles. Is there more proficiency in Israel than in the US in Krav? I'm not sure how we'd figure that out. There might actually be more people working, exchanging ideas, and developing the system in the US.

With krav mostly you wouldn't know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purely as a matter of interest, US troops have been on exercise in Israel this week with their Israeli counterparts, at the end of course the US troops had a go at KM. There is a video if I can separate it from where I saw it!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Us troops enjoying KM :)D) is on the IDF Facebook page if anyone wants to look, I can't 'take it' off, being a computer klutz.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
David added a lot more grappling into the IKMA curriculum. Most Krav has some ground defenses but it’s not as extensive as IKMA.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if my comment pertains to this post, as I haven't read all of the continuing comments here, but the last few were commenting about the US troops training with the IDF. Krav Maga was intended to be a 20 or 40 hour crash-course for the Israeli Army (if I remember correctly), somewhat similar to the Marine Martial Arts Course. I may be wrong about how many hours (I used to know) but it was intended to be simple and effective techniques that anyone can learn. I think one Krav instructor in New York still teaches Krav as it was intended to be learned.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
“David strictly adheres to IKMA guidelines following Grand Master Gidon's (Imi's chosen successor) teachings. The IKMA guidelines are different than any other krav maga association's guidelines. I have seen the IKMA curriculum and it does not resemble any of the other splinter groups it is always under review and updated. Remember, every other krav maga association came from the IKMA with the exception of the so-called "Commando Krav Maga." The Grandmaster was chosen to continue Krav maga's growth and evolution. David was chosen to be the US representative to further it along.”

From another blog fwiw.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
“David strictly adheres to IKMA guidelines following Grand Master Gidon's (Imi's chosen successor) teachings. The IKMA guidelines are different than any other krav maga association's guidelines. I have seen the IKMA curriculum and it does not resemble any of the other splinter groups it is always under review and updated.

To be fair, there are a lot of organizations that claim that Imi chose theirs as the successor organization. It's my understanding that Imi gave a few people permission to continue teaching the system. He gave Darren Levine, GM Gidon, and other 1st generation instructors permission. I think they are all valid (if they are the big four). Regarding IKMA's curriculum being different than any other organizations, after six years I haven't seen much of a difference between the three organizations that I regularly train with (IKMA, IKMF, and KMWW.) Most techniques and principles are very similar, if not the same. The IKMF school that I train at will occasionally comment that the KMWW school is more focused on fitness, but I haven't found that to be the case. Both schools do intense high-stress scenario training and bag work.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually MMA fighters do not spar heavily. they train techniques, do fitness training and drill, they do not spar heavily but just lightly, it's a misconception many have. To spar heavily and be injured before a fight would be a huge mistake.
True story. Although some MMA schools still spar hard as a part of their training, more and more they are realizing that the kind of mileage and accumulated damage that results from too much hard contact hurts their fighters more than helps them. A good example is AKA, while producing good fighters, they often pull out of fights due to training injuries and their fighters(with exceptions) tend to have shorter careers than camps that use a more modern style of training.

At our school, we don't spar 100% ever as part of training. Sure we do it after class for fun sometimes...but thats another story lol.

Latest Discussions