Why Krav Maga works

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't by the way. As he just stood up. For our drills the guy will try to drag me back down forcing me to knee ride of forearm grind up.

There is this whole dynamic of this halfway up fighting to get free that they are missing there.
I've seen a bit of that over the years in SD training. The assumption that the attacker can't continue the attack at given points. A dangerous assumption.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My view by the way. And this is with technically competent krav.

90% of their energy is focused on 10% of the fight.

So let's say we look at gun disarming. How much time training it to how likely you will ever be able to make that work.

Which is also the street sport argument that sport systems don't spend any energy on that 10%
Once you have the basic principles and techniques, I don't think it takes all that much training to shift to that context and work on the problems there.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not at all a fan of "they should be trained in X country" for any art. I've heard that argument for many years in Japanese MA. I've only ever seen any real evidence of it when an art is fairly new and there's not yet much instruction outside that country.
Yeah I don't like that either. To me it's a case of "grass is always greener syndrome" you think because it's from another country especially the country it's founded that means the training is going to be better. Not the case at all. I mean yeah okay some places will be better than what you're doing but some will be worse as well same as any other country.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want to claim that Krav Maga is a good system, I have no problem with that. I know nothing about the method, so I am willing to take your word for it.

When you start elevating it above all others by saying things like
“ it’s one of the most practical means of self defense compared to traditional MA”, well no, you are wrong.

If you like it and you feel it is effective, then by all means you should do it. You do not need to justify that to us or anyone else. But that is where it ends.
Yeah I mean I've been doing it since February and I do enjoy it and yes I think it is effective but you can't call it better than traditional styles because there's a lot of traditional styles in Krav Maga. I see a lot in Krav I've seen in other places. Literally there's a headlock defence that's almost exactly the same as the kenpo technique grip of defence it's almost move the move same technique. Almost their defence against a roundhouse guy is the Muay Thai shield.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA will produce better fighters because that's what it is based on. I love MMA. I guess the bottom line for me is I think Krav (good Krav) is a good system because it's a hybrid system and I like that about it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA will produce better fighters because that's what it is based on.

So what is MMA based on? MMA?
It says what it is ..... MIXED martial arts ie all the TMA's bits that work for a particular fighter are used. I've seen brilliant fighters in kick boxing and karate both full contact, I've seen brilliant fighters in MMA and Muay Thai as well as boxing. Fighters are only as good as their intelligence, drive and work effort makes them, regardless of style.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree. MMA gyms in particular spar heavily and that is the difference. Styles do matter more than most would have you believe in my opinion, but the training is the single most important element. You learn to fight by fighting.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
:DYou don’t need years of training to win a bar fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA gyms in particular spar heavily

Actually MMA fighters do not spar heavily. they train techniques, do fitness training and drill, they do not spar heavily but just lightly, it's a misconception many have. To spar heavily and be injured before a fight would be a huge mistake.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually MMA fighters do not spar heavily. they train techniques, do fitness training and drill, they do not spar heavily but just lightly, it's a misconception many have. To spar heavily and be injured before a fight would be a huge mistake.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And while we are at it. Style doesn't matter?

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score

Point is they do spar against resisting opponents compared to many places that do NOT spar and have people just stand there. That's what I was saying. MMA gyms test you. At the MMA gym I attend 30 minutes of the hour class is light/medium sparring. That is where you really learn.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i
Point is they do spar against resisting opponents compared to many places that do NOT spar and have people just stand there. That's what I was saying. MMA gyms test you. At the MMA gym I attend 30 minutes of the hour class is light/medium sparring. That is where you really learn.

MMA aren't always full of people who actually fight in professional MMA though.

I'm sure plenty of people spar heavily so video proves nothing I'm talking about pro fighters who earn their living by fighting, they get injured no pay day and that's stupid.

Rousey had bad striking, bad coaching etc it wasn't the style at fault but her.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
i

I'm sure plenty of people spar heavily so video proves nothing I'm talking about pro fighters who earn their living by fighting, they get injured no pay day and that's stupid.

Ah rousey I remember when idiots like Joe rogan saying she could beat heavyweight men and is a better boxer than mayweather...I've never laughed so much reading stuff like that lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah rousey I remember when idiots like Joe rogan saying she could beat heavyweight men and is a better boxer than mayweather...I've never laughed so much reading stuff like that lol

Do be careful criticising Rousey on this site! I did once and got a load of abuse, everything from being accused of being jealous to being anti-American! All from people who think nothing of criticising fighters from both the US and other countries.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do be careful criticising Rousey on this site! I did once and got a load of abuse, everything from being accused of being jealous to being anti-American! All from people who think nothing of criticising fighters from both the US and other countries.
Meh I don't care. My motto is people give me abuse I'll give it right back. Rousey was an above average fighter but not amazing she beat a bunch of people who simply weren't that well rounded in mma. Her best opponent was miesha Tate who I think could beat her but she fought a bad strategy and tried to hard to take her down instead of boxing her. The first time she fought a high level striker she got dominated. She believed her own hype and paid for it. She's a bully she treated everyone like dirt then when she got smacked about a bit she ran away crying over it and is now doing fake wrestling. People say she built women's mma....no she didn't there were loads of women fighting before her only reason UFC made the women's division is because of her looks. If Amanda Nunez was the strike force champ when rousey was does anyone really believe Dana would've put women in the UFC

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rousey's striking wasn't good enough. She was too Judo heavy. Was exposed by Holm. I think Gina Carano did a lot for women's MMA, but that had more to do with looks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean I've been doing it since February and I do enjoy it and yes I think it is effective but you can't call it better than traditional styles because there's a lot of traditional styles in Krav Maga. I see a lot in Krav I've seen in other places. Literally there's a headlock defence that's almost exactly the same as the kenpo technique grip of defence it's almost move the move same technique. Almost their defence against a roundhouse guy is the Muay Thai shield.
I think it’s valid early in an art, because of the depth of experience shared in the country of origin, as compared to someplace where there are only a few practitioners. After a while (maybe 2-3 generations of training), it becomes dramatically less true.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i

Team alpha male produces some pro fighters.

Rousey had a bad striking style. If she had gone to a better coach she would have gotten a better result.

Latest Discussions