Why "Knife arts" will get you killed

OP
C

Clive

Shadow Hunter said:
I do not mean to brag but, every single FMA or knife guru I know of would die if they did what they do unarmed against me with a knife. I would have to deal with some bruises and injuries from what they would do to me, but I would only have to tag them a few times to kill them. If we both had knives, the dynamics would change. But if I really wanted to kill them I would not attack them while they had a knife. So what they do is not suited for the strategy I would use when I knew that the only knife in the fight was mine. If they had a knife and got it out, I would run. If they tried their stuff that works against someone used to fighting another person with a knife I would kill them. That is not bragging, it is just the reality of the situation.

How can you beat a knife if you cannot beat your own ego?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Clive said:
How can you beat a knife if you cannot beat your own ego?

Hi Clive.

No official warning here, just a friendly suggestion from someone who has been on MartialTalk for years.

It's generally considered poor "Nettiquite" to dig up a dead thread for the sole purpose of insulting or disagreeing with someone. "Shadow Hunter" hasn't posted on this board for quite sometime, so he probably wouldn't even know to respond to your comment. Although I am sure you did not have ill intentions, in cases like these it is probably best to just let the dead horse lie.

In fact, as I read this, I realize that Jerry gave the same suggestion to another member on this same thread above. In either case, it is a good suggestion to follow in the future. :)

Yours,

Paul

OP
F

FDVargas0351

I hate to say it but I tend to agree with Shadow. I train both tactical knife work and the dueling variation. And yes 99% of ALL (regardless of system) unarmed defenses against a knife are a slim shot at best if you are unarmed facing a committed attacker who has a knife. People survive knife fights all the time, but are usually seriously injured in the process. I think that shadow was trying to make a good point but it came across wrong.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shadow Hunter said:
I can only speak from my decades of experience of course, but so far I have not run across anyone who practices a knife centered art that could stand up unarmed to some of the nasty moves that are being taught in some corners of the world on using a knife to kill someone.

But they all think they can until I prove them otherwise. Within a few minutes I can teach them the nasty moves and then they can turn the tables on me. I would not go up against many of them on a knife to knife combat, but few criminals would take that chance anyways.

Again, this is just my experience after a few decades of a learning nasty stuff.
What I find most interesting about alot of the conversations that deal with knife fighting is that it almost always starts with a very aggressive or kind of defensive tone . there is always the player that has what they feel is a profound point , that they have to validate with some pretty extreme statements . Now I'm not really debating weather these statments are true . Really I could care less . What I really find humerous is that , there is still alot of unanswered questions regarding knife fighting , yet we have so many experts , who like to make alot of blanket statements . I mean really , do you think that you are making some kind of sophisticated argument ? I'll start with the obvious points . Number one it's really common knowledge that , defending against a knife if you are unarmed is probably one of the most difficult tasks to accomplish . there are just so many things in the feeders favor . Most FMA practitioners realize that . No matter what you think . All I can say is your fooling yourself if you think otherwise . That is precisly why alot of FMA knife arts are very aggressive & OFFENSIVE in nature , not DEFENSIVE . I think you can relate to that ? Another obvious point is that you refer to your moves as quoate "nasty" , as if FMA knife moves aren't "NASTY" . All I can say to that is , don't insult my intelligents . Aren't knife moves in general "NASTY" ! Try not to take my statements personally . I'm not trying to minimize your statements . I think that I understand your thought process to a certain extent . I just don't entirely agree with you . Now I think that your attitude probably is a big reason that you are sucessfull . I just don't think that you know the enemy as well as you think . In fact I know you don't , but really who cares . You are 100% sure of yourself . Which is probably a very important ingrediant in your recipe for success . Really when you are talking about a serious knife encounter it is probably a good thing . I'v trained with alot of people who's skill level will make your jaw drop . Which I'm sure you have . Remember the better the compitition , the better you will be . The thing that I find most obvious is that , it's really anybodys guess who would come out on top ? With a blade you only need one "NASTY" cut . Agreed ? That being said , anybody who has done any kind of quoate real serious knife training knows that there are NO ABSOLUTS . So really , what I think your weakess is , exactly the point that you are most adament about , that you have your enemys every move figured out ahead of time . Because serious players know better & if you don't think so ,you haven't been training with the right people . I think I can predict what your response will be , but really don't take it personal . I'm just trying to make my point . I think that you bring up alot of interesting points & I have to admit you do sound sure of yourself . So that tells me that you must have some serious tricks up your sleeve . I try not to ever underestimate my enemy . There are alot of things that can get you killed . The idea is to avoid conflict , especially when it involves weapons . There's almost never a happy ending . It's really not a game . It's a tragedy ....

respects
Frank

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to send apologies in advance for my previous post . I didn't mean to beat a dead horse . To be honest , I didn't read the whole thread before I posted . I had no idea that it was 8 pages long & somewhat heated . After going back & reading the whole thread (which I should have done in the first place) I know realize that my response was probably not a good idea . I did try to edit , but for some reason I couldn't . I'll try to be more careful in the future .

Respects
Frank

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sayoc FF said:
Hi,
I would like to send apologies in advance for my previous post . I didn't mean to beat a dead horse . To be honest , I didn't read the whole thread before I posted . I had no idea that it was 8 pages long & somewhat heated . After going back & reading the whole thread (which I should have done in the first place) I know realize that my response was probably not a good idea . I did try to edit , but for some reason I couldn't . I'll try to be more careful in the future .

Respects
Frank

Frank,

The Edit is available for a short period after the post is made. If you do not get to it right away, then the edit is removed.

Peace

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Super Moderator
:asian:

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Frank,

The Edit is available for a short period after the post is made. If you do not get to it right away, then the edit is removed.

Peace

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Super Moderator
:asian:
Thanks Rich :ultracool .

Frank

OP
I

IMAA

well, the only thing I have to say is don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

If someone is going to kill you or cut you w/ a knife chances are your not going to be able to do anything about it...It will be so fast, and so discreat no matter how many disarms, or drills you know your a dead man walking...The knife duels of the past where 2 guys square off w/ a knife just doesnt happen anymore...

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMAA said:
well, the only thing I have to say is don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

If someone is going to kill you or cut you w/ a knife chances are your not going to be able to do anything about it...It will be so fast, and so discreat no matter how many disarms, or drills you know your a dead man walking...The knife duels of the past where 2 guys square off w/ a knife just doesnt happen anymore...
I have two questions that maybe you can help me with . #1 What type of training would you suggest to help someone avoid being caught off guard ?
#2 Are you agreeing that knife training will get you killed or do you think knife training is helpful , but only if you understand the realities as you see them ?
The reason that I am asking you question #1 is because of your line of work . I figure you have alot of experiance . The reason I am asking you the 2nd question is because it looks like you have alot of FMA /weapons training .
One point that I would like to make pertaining to question # 1 is that , I hear alot of people say that someone will sneak up on you & you will never know what happened . We'll I don't think from my experiances that that is necessarily true . I'v had people attempt that move on me & they weren't very successful & I do not carry a firearm . I grew up in the city so I'm used to dealing with people in close quarters . That being said I do think the guy doing the sneak attack has a hugh advantage . I just think one on one that there are alot of people that I think can handle that . Alot has to do with profileing the perp , before the attack .

Frank

Latest Discussions