Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling not so much because its seen so much in schools.
I wrestled from 3rd grade through graduating high school. Then coached on and off for 10 years. The “rolling around with guys wearing tights” didn’t get old for most people. Genuine friends having a good joke, and idiots I couldn’t stand. It never really bothered me. They all knew they couldn’t handle what wrestlers go through.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If a black belt gives you a black eye more than once that means either his control Is bad or he's just a jerk.
There are those with a chip on their shoulder, but it doesn't make you a jerk if you give someone a black eye in training. Not proud of it, but I've given a few people black eyes before in training, it happens sometimes. The group I train with are very positive and good-hearted people. Me jumping to conclusions of their character because of a few bruises and black eyes is presumptuous.

Black belts are meant to have that control so they don't hurt their students.
It's not the intention of hurting you, it's the pressure of sparring an opponent with greater skill than you. As I've already stated, control is a relative term. Controlling your power to a reasonable degree is one thing, nerfing it to a degree where it won't even hurt is another matter.

You shouldn't be hitting hard head strikes at all.
As I've already stated, blackening eyes doesn't require a lot of power.

Sounds like you've had some brainwashing to make you think getting black eyes a lot is okay, it's not okay at all.
I said occasional black eyes, not "a lot". I understand that this style of training isn't for everyone, but it is for some people. The same goes for drills and other training, not only sparring. If I'm doing a blocking drill I want to block real attacks, I want to have to pick up on tells to react appropriately. Do slip ups happen? Yes, but you carry on. I've been to schools that have strict rules on no hard contact and zero head contact. Different schools have different training cultures, if it's not for you that's understandable, but that doesn't make it wrong. It's ignorant to say someone is brainwashed for having a different training method than you.

Once every now and then okay accidents happen but if its a lot then that's just bad control simple as that.
I already said occasionally, I don't know where you got "a lot" from.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting black eyes is being hit in the head, getting hit in the head is dangerous however much you think it's improving your martial arts, in the end it's not.
Even 'occasionally' is damaging. We do full contact fighting and will do 60-80% full contact in sparring but we try very hard to avoid head shots in sparring and that's down to control.
More now than ever the focus of the medical and sports authorities is on brain damage caused by shots to the head. each hit to the head causes damage, it also becomes cumulative.
What Really Happens to Your Brain When You Get Punched in the Head

What Is CTE? | Brain Injury Research Institute

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting black eyes is being hit in the head, getting hit in the head is dangerous however much you think it's improving your martial arts, in the end it's not.
Even 'occasionally' is damaging. We do full contact fighting and will do 60-80% full contact in sparring but we try very hard to avoid head shots in sparring and that's down to control.
More now than ever the focus of the medical and sports authorities is on brain damage caused by shots to the head. each hit to the head causes damage, it also becomes cumulative.

Not disagreeing with any info here about CTE - just understand that some folks accept harder sparring. If the level is agreed upon, it's not a control issue. Still a safety issue, perhaps, but not a control issue. The ones I've gotten and given in grappling and defensive testing were often more properly chalked up to poor control.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with any info here about CTE - just understand that some folks accept harder sparring. If the level is agreed upon, it's not a control issue. Still a safety issue, perhaps, but not a control issue. The ones I've gotten and given in grappling and defensive testing were often more properly chalked up to poor control.

When I said it was down to control I was talking about it in context of what WE do not in general which if you read my sentence you will see that's what it says. I also said head shots not grappling.

"but we try very hard to avoid head shots in sparring and that's down to control. "

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its sad that we live in a world that can openly insult a martial artist like that. Just the whole bs about the crane move and the shouting in stuff when someone has to says they practice MA
Expand on your first sentence.

What is sad about it? That people have the freedom to hold and share opinions without fear of repercussion? Or that they disrespect each other and things that they don't know about and feel free to openly disdain things they don't really know anything about?

Even then... what's the opinion of someone who speaks from ignorance worth? If I told you that the best restaurant in your town sucks... what's my opinion worth? I'm not a great chef or restaurant reviewer -- and I don't even know where you are or what that restaurant might be...

The sad thing that I see, across many arenas today, is that so many people feel that their opinion has equal merit -- no matter how little they know about a subject.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're missing the point, getting hit isn't the method nor the goal. Learning to deal with realistic energy both technically and psychologically is the goal. Blackening eyes and bruising doesn't require a lot of power.

Even 'occasionally' is damaging.
Damaging to the capillaries yes. Permanent brain damage? No

Your article refers to some professional boxers and football players. Training hard and training intelligently aren't mutually exclusive, but there is a fine line between training hard and training recklessly. Training with realistic energy isn't reckless, but beating the hell out of each other with no purpose nor direction is. You're conflating any level and frequency of head contact to permanent brain damage is inaccurate. CTE is a serious issue, but it's caused by multiple consciousness and/or chronically severe head traumas. Does overexposure to the sun cause skin cancer? Yes. But that doesn't mean any contact with the sun will result in skin cancer.

If it's not for you I understand, it's not for most people, but that doesn't make it reckless.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're missing the point, getting hit isn't the method nor the goal. Learning to deal with realistic energy both technically and psychologically is the goal. Blackening eyes and bruising doesn't require a lot of power.

Your article refers to some professional boxers and football players. Training hard and training intelligently aren't mutually exclusive, but there is a fine line between training hard and training recklessly. Training with realistic energy isn't reckless, but beating the hell out of each other with no purpose nor direction is. You're conflating any level and frequency of head contact to permanent brain damage is inaccurate. CTE is a serious issue, but it's caused by multiple consciousness and/or chronically severe head traumas. Does overexposure to the sun cause skin cancer? Yes. But that doesn't mean any contact with the sun will result in skin cancer.

If it's not for you I understand, it's not for most people, but that doesn't make it reckless.
Tbh all I'm seeing from you is you thinking your a badasss because you get black eyes in training. Its not tough getting beat up its dumb. Most of the brain damage fighters get is from sparring. That's why numerous boxers and Mma guys say they don't spar anymore or they regret fighting hard in the gym because it messed up their health and yes actually it takes quite a lot of power to cause a black eye. If it wasnt then every single boxer would have black eyes after every fight but they don't again there's absolutely 0 reason for anyone to be getting black eyes in training apart from professional fighters who get paid. The only reason for it happening is either the occasional accident, bad control or ego

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see you didn't read my posts properly, I said we fight full contact.
You are also not up on the latest information about head trauma and yes one hit to the head causes damage, what do you think 'damage to the capillaries is'? It's a bleed on the brain, a haemorrhage, small perhaps, but add more and more and you will end up with brain damage.
All contact sports people are at risk something that is being taken seriously by sports teams now, even football ( what you call soccer) watch for damage after heading balls. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say it doesn't require power to give people black eyes etc what on earth has that to do with anything? Also your comments on training are irrelevant as far as brain trauma is concerned.

When your head gets hit, it doesn't have to be hard to cause damage, you can bang your head on the car door or a shelf, you can take a small hit in sports but there is still damage, keep repeating those blows and the damage is cumulative (Chronic traumatic brain injury (CTBI) represents the cumulative, long-term neurological consequences of repetitive concussive and subconcussive blows to the brain.) It doesn't have to be hard blows to the head basically, just blows.
Look at this How A Simple Bump Can Cause An Insidious Brain Injury then imagine small 'bumps' to the head over a period of time. You can ignore the medical advice all you want, it's your brain. You may think you are fine but the damage can turn up many years into your life and you'd wish you'd actually listened instead of dismissing it on the basis of out dated medical thoughts.

OP
M

Manwithquestions

White Belt
Reaction score

I'm not disagreeing that its dangerous to be hit in the head, but some people just do martial art differently then others. To say that "This school blah blah blah" or "that school blah blah blah" Is their opinion. If someone wants to go hard why shouldn't they? thats just the way they train and thats just the way they enjoy training

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iz got da hit in head vunce. Oh may-b was fyoo tymes. Was good and fine? An I fink it dun no hurt. But is was of and at the in so yeh ;^

OP
M

Manwithquestions

White Belt
Reaction score
Iz got da hit in head vunce. Oh may-b was fyoo tymes. Was good and fine? An I fink it dun no hurt. But is was of and at the in so yeh ;^
If someone wants to get kicked/punched in the face thats honestly their problem. They made that decision and I dont think that its right as a Martial Artist or a human being to say their path is wrong. Just because something isn't healthy that doesn't give anyone a right to judge that way of fighting

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone wants to get kicked/punched in the face thats honestly their problem. They made that decision and I dont think that its right as a Martial Artist or a human being to say their path is wrong. Just because something isn't healthy that doesn't give anyone a right to judge that way of fighting
And what if they don't....what if someone doesn't want to get beat up yet the instructor allows it to happen even if the person doesn't want that

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
(Ah.. I was just trying to inject a little humour into the thread, break up the seriousness, was totally joking, ah well :) )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To do something without knowledge of the consequences is just stupid. I have no problem with kicking and punching people in the head if they wish but if they are ignorant of the eventual result then it's a moronic thing to do on both sides. Instructors have a duty of care to their students and pointing out the dangers of constant blows to the head is one of the responsibilities they carry. This is especially true when taking students who are under 18 as the damage to young people is worse.

No one is saying that this school or that school is doing anything in particular. We train fighters for pro rules MMA, we don't go as hard as you would imagine for a number of reasons, for one thing it's not necessary. What many people do is go hard at each other in sparring ( hard fighting isn't sparring btw) imagining they are improving their training, they aren't. It's great fun admittedly going full on, but it doesn't actually improve your technique because most people forget to think when doing this, it's literally wham bam. Fighters need to think, people who do self defence need to think, you can learn to hit hard without going all out on your fellow students. yes, you need to know what it's like to be hit hard, you need to know that you won't freeze but that doesn't mean you have to batter each other every week. Limit the damage your brain takes.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to automatically assume that if a martial artist has black eyes and bruises that they're sparring improperly. It was be as presumptuous for me to think people who weren't getting black eyes and bruises were sparring improperly. Some spar harder than others and some instructors(senior and junior) push you harder. Being challenged at a level in which your motor faculties were sometimes insufficient isn't because of improper sparring nor training.

What about stick sparring, limb conditioning and contact drills? Walking away from those unscathed would be next to impossible.

I understand that these methods of training aren't for everyone, but that doesn't mean they are training improperly.

My, my, aren't we getting harangued over this. I think it's because posts are interpreted differently.
I didn't take any of your posts on this subject differently than what I believe you meant.

I don't like black eyes any more than the next guy. But, they do happen from time to time. It's why you have to keep your hands up. And it has been my experience that a good deal of them come from an unintended, grazing elbow when slipping a punch.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tbh all I'm seeing from you is you thinking your a badasss because you get black eyes in training. Its not tough getting beat up its dumb.

I appreciate your honesty, but I don't think I'm "badass" nor the training I do is for "badassess". I'm conveying that there is an entire spectrum of training methods. Those that gravitate towards the harder methods aren't reckless. Not all hard training is unintelligent, but there are some that have an unintelligent approach to hard training.

That's why numerous boxers and Mma guys say they don't spar anymore or they regret fighting hard in the gym because it messed up their health
Yes, I agree that numerous Pro fighters have taken so much abuse that their health is in a very poor state. However; there are numerous world renowned fighters that have had long carriers, trained hard and still have their mental faculties intact. Again, it has to do with the approach and methods of their training.

yes actually it takes quite a lot of power to cause a black eye
No it doesn't. You have very little tissue between the skin around your eye and the bones below it. This has a dynamic affect and makes it more prone to bruising by not having any soft tissue or muscle underneath it to absorb and dissipate the force. I've been struck very hard in the abdomen/diaphragm area, but it doesn't bruise nearly as easily or at all because my abdomen has a lot of tissue and muscles underneath to dissipate the force. In summary, bony surfaces are easier to bruise.

If it wasnt then every single boxer would have black eyes after every fight
Boxing gloves makes getting black eyes more difficult. It has more so to do with the size of the gloves and making it more difficult in getting a strike to fit into such a small opening. Black eyes still do happen in professional fights though.

there's absolutely 0 reason for anyone to be getting black eyes in training apart from professional fighters who get paid.
That's more of a personal preference, some people prefer this method of training. It has more to do with training under the conditions in which black eyes and bruises are more probable, rather than intentionally striking each other in the eye.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see you didn't read my posts properly, I said we fight full contact.
I did read that part. When I refer to real attacks that isn't only referring to the power but to the trajectories and targets as well. I don't think your approach is wrong, but it's simply not for me. When I'm sparring/drilling I want to have to deal with attacks both high and low. If I get into an altercation I want deeply ingrained muscle memory response when someone starts swinging at my head.
You are also not up on the latest information about head trauma and yes one hit to the head causes damage, what do you think 'damage to the capillaries is'?
You misunderstand, I meant the capillaries of the skin, when they burst/rupture that results in visible bruising. I wasn't referring to the capillaries of the brain.

All contact sports people are at risk
We're all at risk of injury, some greater than others. There are accidents and injuries in all sorts of different training environments. The greatest injury I've ever witnessed was in Aikido. One student did the four directions throw and accidentally tore the guys shoulder. He didn't do it hard nor fast, he just did it at the wrong angle and the guy lives with the limitations from that injury to this very day.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say it doesn't require power to give people black eyes etc what on earth has that to do with anything?
Refer to my response to headhunter

Also your comments on training are irrelevant as far as brain trauma is concerned.
They might be irrelevant to you, but not to the topic. This isn't solely a conversation on brain trauma, but on training methods as well.

When your head gets hit, it doesn't have to be hard to cause damage, you can bang your head on the car door or a shelf, you can take a small hit in sports but there is still damage, keep repeating those blows and the damage is cumulative
The questions isn't if there's damage or not, the question is where and to what extent is the damage? Getting struck in the head, walking into a car door causes damage. But there's not evidence that any contact to the head automatically causes permanent brain damage.

long-term neurological consequences of repetitive concussive and subconcussive blows to the brain.)
Repetitive and subconcussive are loose terms. By that definition getting poked in the head twice will result in CTE. The devil is in the details.

You may think you are fine but the damage can turn up many years into your life and you'd wish you'd actually listened instead of dismissing it on the basis of out dated medical thoughts.
CTE is a real thing and is a serious issue. However; the broad scope you are applying CTE is inaccurate. Saying any force to the head at any frequency will result in CTE isn't supported. By that logic every professional boxer, kickboxer, mixed-martial artis, soccer and football player in the world would be diagnosed with CTE. You can have both intelligent and unintelligent approaches to hard training, that's where I think most of the difference lies.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You misunderstand, I meant the capillaries of the skin, when they burst/rupture that results in visible bruising. I wasn't referring to the capillaries of the brain.

So if it's hard enough to bruise the skin how hard do you think the brain hit the skull?

CTE is a real thing and is a serious issue. However; the broad scope you are applying CTE is inaccurate. Saying any force to the head at any frequency will result in CTE isn't supported. By that logic every professional boxer, kickboxer, mixed-martial artis, soccer and football player in the world would be diagnosed with CTE. You can have both intelligent and unintelligent approaches to hard training, that's where I think most of the difference lies.

Actually the evidence of brain damage to some extent or another is well supported hence the great care sports now take with even the most amateur of athletes. Persistent, Long-term Cerebral White Matter Changes after Sports-Related Repetitive Head Impacts

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its sad that we live in a world that can openly insult a martial artist like that. Just the whole bs about the crane move and the shouting in stuff when someone has to says they practice MA

Mostly what irritates me the most is the whole "Wattaaaaa" bull I mean thats really disrespectful to me personally.Like I train this way because I love to train and for someone to call me over by saying "Hey Karate kid" Is really irritating. And also I hateeeee when memes and shows make fun of MA not just my style, Because there's people who train hard for this.

It's not really a sad world, it's more just a part of the age that you're at. Teens, especially after 15 or so, are trying very hard to figure out who they are and where they fit. Karate is unusual and, to be honest, a bit scary to most teens. Therefore, many of them tend to be proactive in attempting to make it less scary, much like whistling past the graveyard at night. Once you realize that the vast majority of ridiculous responses you get from your peers are due to their own inability to easily deal with the unusual, rather than actual disrespect, then it will be much easier for you to smile at their antics rather than be offended. Much better for your own peace of mind also! :)

I practice and teach a Japanese sword art. When people I work with find out what I do, I often get the same responses you do. Jokes about not making me angry, or people asking if I still do "that ninja thing" (it has nothing to do with ninjas). I just smile at them and say I'm still practicing. Sometimes you'll have someone that's genuinely interested and wants to know more, then you can open up and tell them about it. For the rest, just remember why they say those things, smile, and go on.