Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "disrespect" towards Karate stems from two main things.

1) The overall quality of Karate has declined, especially in the US. People with poor skill representing any art makes the art itself look bad. One of the major factors that contributed to the decline was the influx in Karate's popularity.

2) The untrained and even those that train in other arts can be ignorant. They base their opinions on inaccurate information and the biased opinions of others.

I've found myself in situations where my friends(untrained) know I train in martial arts and they give me their opinion on it. I try and clear up any misconceptions that they may have at the same time acknowledging the poor representation. I don't bring it up in conversations, but there are times people find out I train. My advice would be to not be ashamed, don't bring it up but know how to clear up misconceptions. George St Pierre, Lyoto Machida, Chuck Liddell and many other Pro fighters have karate backgrounds and utilize it in their fights.
Why bother trying to clear up anything. If anyone says anything to me about it I just say okay cool and move on. I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to not worry about what other people about my hobbies

OP
M

Manwithquestions

White Belt
Reaction score
What disrespect the op has stated literally nothing disrespectful happening to him. He said they gave him "an awkward look" whatever that is and not disrespectful at all.
Mostly what irritates me the most is the whole "Wattaaaaa" bull I mean thats really disrespectful to me personally.Like I train this way because I love to train and for someone to call me over by saying "Hey Karate kid" Is really irritating. And also I hateeeee when memes and shows make fun of MA not just my style, Because there's people who train hard for this.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why bother trying to clear up anything. If anyone says anything to me about it I just say okay cool and move on. I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to not worry about what other people about my hobbies

Being comfortable in your own skin has nothing to do with it. If friends or family members brings up a topic they have misconceptions about and I'm experienced/educated in said topic then I'll share what I know. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I don't shy away from an intellectual exchange. I don't engage out of insecurity nor offense, it's something I enjoy doing.

How do you explain to these people? I find it difficult to explain sometimes
Usually I just say "training", "practice" or "martial arts". I rarely practiced only one art at a time, so I never refereed to what I did as the actual style.

Well if they ask sure but that's it....also if you run into training partners you don't need to explain anything....as they already know

No, I meant I'm in a social setting(with friends) and we as a group encounter one of my training partners. My training partner will then refer to something that's very specific to martial arts in front of my friends.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly what irritates me the most is the whole "Wattaaaaa" bull I mean thats really disrespectful to me personally.Like I train this way because I love to train and for someone to call me over by saying "Hey Karate kid" Is really irritating. And also I hateeeee when memes and shows make fun of MA not just my style, Because there's people who train hard for this.

Ask yourself this....

Why is that person's opinion important to you? If the answer is....it isn't.....then why stress over it.

If it is important then confront them...maybe they don't even realize they are disrespecting you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offence buddy but you need to get some thicker skin and toughen up if that bothers you. People are going to do a lot worse to you in life than make a few Bruce lee noises and call you karate kid.

It's not disrespectful it's silly. If people did that to me I'd laugh about it because I'd find it funny.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm serious if you let stupid things like that bother you life will kick you *** trust me. I get when you're a kid these things seem massive and convincing people karate is the best thing on earth is number 1 priority but when you get older you realise how small and insignificant these types of things are.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Manwithquestions.

Don't sweat the small stuff, friend, just keep training.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If martial artists are getting so many black eyes and bruises that people are commenting then perhaps it's time they learnt to spar properly.

It doesn't make sense to automatically assume that if a martial artist has black eyes and bruises that they're sparring improperly. It was be as presumptuous for me to think people who weren't getting black eyes and bruises were sparring improperly. Some spar harder than others and some instructors(senior and junior) push you harder. Being challenged at a level in which your motor faculties were sometimes insufficient isn't because of improper sparring nor training.

What about stick sparring, limb conditioning and contact drills? Walking away from those unscathed would be next to impossible.

I understand that these methods of training aren't for everyone, but that doesn't mean they are training improperly.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also as for the actual question. Karate doesn't get anymore disrespect than any other style of martial art. If you told those you do jiu jitsu you'd get the same reaction. Wrestling not so much because its seen so much in schools. But honestly karate schools are still going people are still signing up to karate and frankly I've never seen any disrespect for karate upon from trolls on YouTube videos

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to automatically assume that if a martial artist has black eyes and bruises that they're sparring improperly. It was be as presumptuous for me to think people who weren't getting black eyes and bruises were sparring improperly. Some spar harder than others and some instructors(senior and junior) push you harder. Being challenged at a level in which your motor faculties were sometimes insufficient isn't because of improper sparring nor training.

What about stick sparring, limb conditioning and contact drills? Walking away from those unscathed would be next to impossible.

I understand that these methods of training aren't for everyone, but that doesn't mean they are training improperly.
No general martial artist should be getting black eyes on a regular basis if at all. Bruises on the arms yeah sure but not black eyes. If they are it means the school doesn't have great control. I understand professional fighters getting them in training but your average guy who works 9-5 and trains twice a week really shouldn't be getting regular black eyes and if he is then that's a problem in my opinion

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrestling not so much because its seen so much in schools.

In the south (U.S.), if you are an adult and you tell people you train in wrestling....they probably think you are training in......

hulk-hogan-wrestling.jpg

:D

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No general martial artist should be getting black eyes on a regular basis if at all. Bruises on the arms yeah sure but not black eyes. If they are it means the school doesn't have great control. I understand professional fighters getting them in training but your average guy who works 9-5 and trains twice a week really shouldn't be getting regular black eyes and if he is then that's a problem in my opinion

No, not on a regular basis, but getting black eyes occasionally doesn't automatically mean improper sparring. Control is a relative term when it comes to sparring. If a black belt strikes me and it hurts or bruises that's not lack of control. However; if it breaks my ribs or gives me a concussion then that's a different story. It's doesn't take much power to blacken an eye, there have been times after sparing I didn't even know I had one until I looked in a mirror.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also as for the actual question. Karate doesn't get anymore disrespect than any other style of martial art. If you told those you do jiu jitsu you'd get the same reaction. Wrestling not so much because its seen so much in schools. But honestly karate schools are still going people are still signing up to karate and frankly I've never seen any disrespect for karate upon from trolls on YouTube videos

There are different categories in which people(untrained or ignorant) place martial arts in. From my experience Karate,Kung Fu and Tae-Kwon-Do get more flack than Judo, BJJ or Muay Thai. Though I agree that TMA are looked down upon as a whole, there is more criticism directed at some than others. I think a lot of that has to do with poor representation of those arts and the media.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the immortal words of Elsa, let it go, man. Sometimes people do things they don't see as disrespectful - work with their intent. I've trained in martial arts for more than 35 years (and there are folks on here who were training before I was a toddler), and I can't see how their misconception about martial arts really has anything to do with me. If they do that actually trying to aggravate me, that's even better - I don't really care about their opinion enough for that to bother me, and now I know I don't need to bother with them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The occasional black eye will happen in some types of vigorous training. IME, they are rarer from sparring than from really intense defensive testing (both formal and informal). In grappling, they are often the result of heads running into heads.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know what you mean, but this is what came to mind when I read your post. It's at the 30 second mark

Man, Dana [Latifah] looks so young there I almost didn't recognize her. Great kid, class act that gal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You got there before me!

I've had black eyes, bruises all over etc but if you are getting them so regularly that people are noticing and talking then yes something is wrong. It's not normal to leave every training session battered and bruised. Pro fighters actually get less than people think, they train smart, they can't afford to be injured and have to call off a fight.

I haven't come across much 'disrespect' for any martial art, a lot of misconceptions but a lot of interest as well. People who make kiai noises are just being a bit silly. There is a danger in thinking you are owed respect for being a martial artist, if someone wants to give you respect that's fine but getting upset because they don't says 'ego' to me.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, not on a regular basis, but getting black eyes occasionally doesn't automatically mean improper sparring. Control is a relative term when it comes to sparring. If a black belt strikes me and it hurts or bruises that's not lack of control. However; if it breaks my ribs or gives me a concussion then that's a different story. It's doesn't take much power to blacken an eye, there have been times after sparing I didn't even know I had one until I looked in a mirror.
If a black belt gives you a black eye more than once that means either his control Is bad or he's just a jerk. Black belts are meant to have that control so they don't hurt their students. You shouldn't be hitting hard head strikes at all. Sounds like you've had some brainwashing to make you think getting black eyes a lot is okay, it's not okay at all. Once every now and then okay accidents happen but if its a lot then that's just bad control simple as that.

Latest Discussions