Why is it taekwondo do NOT go well with Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A buddy of mind was going on saying that Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate that most of it is not kicks and they fight at close range.

One of a first things a person taking taekwondo go for is a kick and if the person gets to close than they will go for a strike or push so they can go for kick again.

That taekwondo 80% is kicks and well strikes are more of a way to get person to go back to set up for a kick.

That if you get to close to taekwondo person they will use hand strike or push to get you to go back so they can use kick.

And Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate is for close range fighting and taekwondo is not.

Some other karate go better with taekwondo but Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate do not.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to guess that you don't actually know anything about Tae Kwon Do.

Tae Kwon Do includes all sorts of hand strikes. It includes elbows. Knees. Head butts. Sweeps. Joint locks. Throws.

When people claim otherwise, it mostly just means they don't really know Tae Kwon Do.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A buddy of mind was going on saying that Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate that most of it is not kicks and they fight at close range.

One of a first things a person taking taekwondo go for is a kick and if the person gets to close than they will go for a strike or push so they can go for kick again.

That taekwondo 80% is kicks and well strikes are more of a way to get person to go back to set up for a kick.

That if you get to close to taekwondo person they will use hand strike or push to get you to go back so they can use kick.

And Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate is for close range fighting and taekwondo is not.

Some other karate go better with taekwondo but Okinawan karate or Kenpo karate do not.
First of all the kicks are different, in the traditional arts, and the focus is not on kicking, but to use them as needed. To add TKD is to change your focus. If that is what you want, more power to you, but add TKD at your own risk. :)

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah, it's called using the right tool for the right job.

It varies. Some TKD schools will have the figure about 90%, others it will be 40-60% to quote a single percentage and try to apply it to all TKD schools is inaccurate at best.

You are repeating yourself. You are repeating yourself.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm just going to guess that you don't actually know anything about Tae Kwon Do.

Tae Kwon Do includes all sorts of hand strikes. It includes elbows. Knees. Head butts. Sweeps. Joint locks. Throws.

When people claim otherwise, it mostly just means they don't really know Tae Kwon Do.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Problem with lot of karate and taekwondo in US is that school curriculum as move away from self defense and combat into sports and tournaments and kid friendly.

You normally don't learn self defense in karate and taekwondo to you a black belt.

‪Self-Defense‬ taekwondo and karate curriculum.

taekwondo

karate

Than there schools that don't teach this.

Person probably be better of fighting a self-defense school than taking taekwondo or karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Person probably be better of fighting a self-defense school than taking taekwondo or karate

I for one have no intentions of fighting a self defence school.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First of all the kicks are different, in the traditional arts, and the focus is not on kicking, but to use them as needed. To add TKD is to change your focus. If that is what you want, more power to you, but add TKD at your own risk. :)

taekwondo kicking is bit more wassa fancy than karate kicking.

And karate more rigid and hard stance.

Well taekwondo more smoothing not big on the hard stance like karate.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I for one have no intentions of fighting a self defence school.

Sorry for the spelling it is finding NOT fighting.

Person probably be better of fighting a self-defense school than taking taekwondo or karate.

Person probably be better of finding a self-defense school than taking taekwondo or karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the spelling it is finding NOT fighting.

Person probably be better of finding a self-defense school than taking taekwondo or karate.

Think it was better with the mistake, made me smile on Tuesday morning after a very wet bank Holiday weekend where all plans to have family outings went out of the window. :)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That depends entirely on why a person is interested in martial arts. There are as many reasons for studying martial arts as there are people studying. You cannot say that one is better than another because, not only are different people looking to get different things from their martial arts, different dojo will have different ideas on how they approach their training, even within the same discipline. I still believe you should think about it less, and actually experience it more.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yup, TKD is more than just kicks, sadly worldwide organizations have foc us only in the kicking and thus this is wath they aim for and teach.

El Manny

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Problem with lot of karate and taekwondo in US is that school curriculum as move away from self defense and combat into sports and tournaments and kid friendly.

You normally don't learn self defense in karate and taekwondo to you a black belt.

‪Self-Defense‬ taekwondo and karate curriculum.

taekwondo

karate

Than there schools that don't teach this.

As far as Self Defense goes, that was, all of it, astoundingly awful, from the unrealistic attacks to the unrealistic defenses for them. Was that your point? It's hard for me to tell.

Not sure what you mean by "self-defense school" either.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has a black belt in both tkd and kempo....he is a force to be dealt with....

Based on some of you recent threads I am not sure you know too much about either of these arts.....

Much has to do with the focus of the schools and student....

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yup, TKD is more than just kicks, sadly worldwide organizations have foc us only in the kicking and thus this is wath they aim for and teach.

El Manny

Yea that is what some people tell me. The fancy kicks make it a awesome factor to get lot people drawn into it.

But taekwondo does have many hand striking when you up close range and you can't really kick because you in closed range. But just not as much as what you learn in karate.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has a black belt in both tkd and kempo....he is a force to be dealt with....

Based on some of you recent threads I am not sure you know too much about either of these arts.....

Much has to do with the focus of the schools and student....

Yea that is what some people have said here that it not art you learn that is a problem vs a other art is just tools the person who uses it.

So person that learns taekwondo and black belt in taekwondo and learns some thing like Parker-lineage Kenpo and a black belt in Parker-lineage Kenpo should not really have problem.

One can use taekwondo for long-ranged and Parker-lineage Kenpo for short range. Or mix and choose the person see fit.

That taekwondo style has set of techniques one uses and Parker-lineage Kenpo set of its techniques one uses. In end its up to person using the techniques he or she see fit.

Some one who is black belt in Parker-lineage Kenpo and than learns taekwondo is just adding more tools. So there should not really be a problem.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That depends entirely on why a person is interested in martial arts. There are as many reasons for studying martial arts as there are people studying. You cannot say that one is better than another because, not only are different people looking to get different things from their martial arts, different dojo will have different ideas on how they approach their training, even within the same discipline. I still believe you should think about it less, and actually experience it more.

You do realize arts like taekwondo and kung fu like shaolin give a wow factor. And many people my never be cut out for it.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as Self Defense goes, that was, all of it, astoundingly awful, from the unrealistic attacks to the unrealistic defenses for them. Was that your point? It's hard for me to tell.

Not sure what you mean by "self-defense school" either.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Well yea martial arts today can only do so much in self defense way. I have friend who is cop and in the city there is lot of street gangs, guns and street thugs going around robbing people on the street and there are places one officer with gun just do not even go on patrol alone .

There are apartment complexes coded on dispatchers screen to sent no less than 5 officers even on a 911 hang up or EMS call. Because every one is very anti-police and have guns in that apartment complexes.

You safer to turn over you money on street than 4 to 8 thugs fighting with you and where most thugs in my city have guns.

A self defense is more better for fighting a out of control drunk attacking you, emotionally disturbed person off their meds going crazy or some one trying to rape you or kidnap you.

Some one robbing you or group of thugs there is very little martial arts can do because of use of guns and number of attackers.

If you don't live in a ghetto, go to bars, night clubs and hang out with rough people you chance you ever need self defense is low.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some Self Defense that too script like you do this than I do this and than you do this and I do this do not work well because on the street it may not play out that way. He does this and you do this but he does not do this or he does that and you like why did this go that way.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

El Manny

I don't think anyone here is saying kid friendly, sports and tournaments and such , taekwondo or karate curriculum is bad.

Latest Discussions