Why I dont post

K

kenpohands

Someone mentioned in a post that I don't support the Kenpo Forums anymore. This is my reason for that.

Yes I did post here at one time. And yes I did advertise a little to get a little exposure and welcome the kenpo community into the KKA. To share my discoveries of the karambit with my Kenpo Brothers. Unfortunatly I have had nothing but resistance to my Karambit incorporation into Kenpo from fellow Kenpoist. The very art that does little with knifes at all. (unless pursed elsewhere) Kenpoist take cheap shots at me and the KKA all the time yet they fail to prove their reasons why they disagree with my ideas. Thats why I choose not to post on the Kenpo forums. No one kenpoist who has bad mouthed my KKA has ever asked to train and show me that what I do I with a karambit is "a no brainer" The kenpo talk is all talk. I have given over 30 years to the art of kenpo and in return I get closed minds and little support from my fellow kenpoist, this is sad to me. I would expect less support from outsiders.

Yet it is quite the opposite, The styles that KNOW knife fighting,many top knife /Karambit/ tactical practicioners are calling me out to show them first hand what it is I do. They encounter first hand training and when we are done I get their approval , endorsment and support. All my most loyal KKA members are from Phillipino based knife fighting systems.

I just wish the Kenpo community would be a little more open minded and quit talking so much. Come on on the matt and train, not talk.Validate your comments about my Kenpo Karambit. Show me , explain why you think it does not work, come out and train for Gods sake. Perhaps you can teach me a few things. Many knife fighters come visit. They test me and my Karambit skills all the time.They always end up staying. This past Sat I had a few of Guru Inosanto's guys visit. They were very impressed, had a great time and will be continuing to train with us. My door is always open my all Kenpo Brothers.
Check your egos at the door and open your minds up a bit. You might be surprised at what you will see and learn! Kenpo is not the ONLY way my brothers! Let's support each other for a change.
Salute
Angelo Collado
5th Degree Black Belt
Kenpo Karate
(626)841-1290

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Intriquing. I know very little about karambit, but do have a strong interest with various types of weapons. Although I am involved with American Kenpo, the head instructor is open minded about training with weapons (knives, sticks, etc.). We do have certain techniques in upper rank study involving weapons.

Do you have a web site that explains more about karambit? Do you have some more detail of how you incorporate that with kenpo?

Thank you.

- Ceicei

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I went to your web site, it is nice, the products look good. The first thing that came to my mind was the price. That could be what puts people off.
Just an observation. Regards, Gary

OP
K

kenpohands

I start with a seminar and once the school joins, I visit once a month for a full day of lessons. Its tough being apart, but it is better than a video or book. I try to see my folks as often as possible.

OP
K

kenpohands

GAB said:
Hello, I went to your web site, it is nice, the products look good. The first thing that came to my mind was the price. That could be what puts people off.
Just an observation. Regards, Gary
Dear GAB,
If the price is an issue then that proves Kenpo folks don't know the knife world real well. We (knife fighters and collectors) avoid poor quality steel and plastic handle designs like M-tech and Foster. We want a top quality steel that will not let us down in a situation. Our product is high quality.Semi-custom means all parts are put togeter by hand. S30v steel , Boss heat treated top of the line stuff. We are right in the ballpark if you know your knifes and understand quality. There are even more expensive stuff out there. Do some research my friend, you will be surprised as to what a good knife costs.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might be surprised to see that there are lots of Kenpo stylists who have open minds. I've met quite a few here and we all agree that there are a few who are very vocal and interfere with the learning of others because they do not accept new ideas. The Kenpo rooms can be a bit chilly, but I think there has been a lot of work on the moderators' part to try and control that.

I see you do seminars with Tom Sotis and I took one at the Kenpo Karate Internationals in Boston with him and he was awesome, but you are right it was not received well by everyone here. Those with closed minds only cut themselves off from what they could know.

Your site is :cool: Good luck in your journey!

MJ :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir, there are some people here that just like to annoy people. They believe that their way of thinking is the only way and if you disagree it turns out to be a long battle via the keyboard. At one point last year I was ready to ask Kaith to close my account and get off of this board because I was tired of all of the crap I was reading. Reluctantly I decided not to do so and just not post here at all for quite a few months. There is a new group of enthusiastic kenpoist that like to discuss kenpo, learn kenpo, trade ideas about kenpo and are genuinely good people. This is why I started posting again. You have a lot of knowledge on your website, no doubt it was from alot of hard work with plenty of sweat. For your new found innovative ideas to take kenpo into a new direction I give you full salutation. :asian:
Keep postin' :)

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I am know as the Kenpo Whore. I will learn from anyone that has the information I want to know. I have no qualms with experimenting with innovating ideas or weapons with my weapons. I say good for you Mr. Collado in exploring your art.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know nothing about Kenpo....but just wonted to say don’t let anyone who has made assumptions/comments based on ignorance sway you from your journey, what is important are the many people who 'are' interested in what you have to say.

OP
T

tmanifold

kenpohands said:
Dear GAB,
If the price is an issue then that proves Kenpo folks don't know the knife world real well. We (knife fighters and collectors) avoid poor quality steel and plastic handle designs like M-tech and Foster. We want a top quality steel that will not let us down in a situation. Our product is high quality.Semi-custom means all parts are put togeter by hand. S30v steel , Boss heat treated top of the line stuff. We are right in the ballpark if you know your knifes and understand quality. There are even more expensive stuff out there. Do some research my friend, you will be surprised as to what a good knife costs.

I noticed that it was a Strider knife. That is a real quality blade. I assume you don't force people who learn from you to buy your blades and their are some quality karambits out there for under 100 dollars. They won't be as nice a mick's stuff but servicable.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Collado,
I've been a Kenpo and FMA practitoner for many years. It's to the point to where I don't see the line where the kenpo ends and the FMA begins. I have a questions about your adoption of the kerambit. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I believe in consciencious use of force for self defense and being able to have legal justification for tools/weapons that I keep on my person.

How would you justify a fixed blale kerambit like the Stryder to a LEO?

How would you show justifiable and consciencious use of force for self defense (to LEOs or in court) after shredding (maiming) an attacker with one?

All things considered, I can't disagree with you adding that or any other weapon to the kenpo that you do. I find it commendable that you've added it to your system and give credit where it is due instead of trying to dupe the public into thinking it was something new that you created. There's too much of that going on in martial arts these days.

Regards,

Tim Kashino

OP
K

kenpohands

DoxN4cer said:
Mr. Collado,
I've been a Kenpo and FMA practitoner for many years. It's to the point to where I don't see the line where the kenpo ends and the FMA begins. I have a questions about your adoption of the kerambit. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I believe in consciencious use of force for self defense and being able to have legal justification for tools/weapons that I keep on my person.

How would you justify a fixed blade kerambit like the Stryder to a LEO?

How would you show justifiable and consciencious use of force for self defense (to LEOs or in court) after shredding (maiming) an attacker with one?

All things considered, I can't disagree with you adding that or any other weapon to the kenpo that you do. I find it commendable that you've added it to your system and give credit where it is due instead of trying to dupe the public into thinking it was something new that you created. There's too much of that going on in martial arts these days.

Regards,

Tim Kashino

Thanks for the reply.
First off, I don't find any justification in any over excessive display of self defense. If you are familiar with the empty hand art of kenpo, it in itself if practiced as taught will leave your attacker mamed and left for dead, if not dead. No weapons needed. 80% of my karambit use within the kenpo system is done with a trainer, a non lethal, non edged , legal, impact device. The karambit trainer can be used as a defense against a live blade, club or whatever is attacking you. It is used as a pressure point, grappling , lockflow, chin-na device as well. I can manipulate ,pin, check , control etc... WITHOUT using a live edged weapon. If by fate I was to be attacked on the street. I would pull out my trainer first hand. If live and death were a factor I would indeed draw my live karambit and use it closed, until and if only I needed to deploy the blade. I teach this to all my students. However. I do alot of tactical training as well. In a war zone, police, hostage situation. Live blade is the only option.
These men come to learn to kill and survive. So they are taught how to use the weapon properly. There are many HQ and Marines that carry the Strider/Tarani HS in Iran, Iraq, Afhganantan as we speak. There has also been confirmed kill with the HS in an attempted assasination on US goverment officials.
This is the reality of war. I do not teach these applications to civillians.

Its just like learning to shoot. Its a live bullet, you will mame or kill, but you continue to train,hone your craft to perfection just in case!

No I did not invent anything. I just incorporated and arranged the blend of two powerful arts. They both are lethal as a separate arts. Combined they are no more lethal, just more versitile.
Just my thoughts

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much my approach to my blend of kenpo and FMA. I'm selective in who I teach, and I'm even more selective in who I teach the blade.

I am familiar with kenpo and what the intentions are. The FMA are no different in that regard as well. However, I am an advocacte of justifiable force. Do you have a progam in place to educate your students on the ramifications of use of force in self defense in accordance with your state and local laws? Even soldiers have rules of engagement. I review ours with my troops every morning at guardmount.

One of my kenpo instructors did. Whe had to research the state penal code and understand just what we could and couldn't do in our own self defense, as well as how (and why) it is necessary to use the least amount of force necessary to control/end a street confrontation. Just food for thought.

r/

Tim Kashino

OP
S

stickaddict

kenpohands said:
It is used as a pressure point, grappling , lockflow, chin-na device as well. I can manipulate ,pin, check , control etc... WITHOUT using a live edged weapon. If by fate I was to be attacked on the street. I would pull out my trainer first hand. If live and death were a factor I would indeed draw my live karambit and use it closed, until and if only I needed to deploy the blade. I teach this to all my students. However. I do alot of tactical training as well. In a war zone, police, hostage situation. Live blade is the only option.
These men come to learn to kill and survive. So they are taught how to use the weapon properly. There are many HQ and Marines that carry the Strider/Tarani HS in Iran, Iraq, Afhganantan as we speak. There has also been confirmed kill with the HS in an attempted assasination on US goverment officials.
This is the reality of war. I do not teach these applications to civillians.

Its just like learning to shoot. Its a live bullet, you will mame or kill, but you continue to train,hone your craft to perfection just in case!
Kenpohands,
Was reading your post and a few thoughts occured to me.
First off.. I'm AD, deployed at the moment, and a longtime FMA addict.
That said... while we all have "the right" to teach what we know to whom
we wish (and not to teach when we don't wish) I question the consistency
in calling one section of the public "civilians" with respect to blade skills.
The most skilled people I know were never inside the crap machine.
Moreover many LEOs and AD types already have a tin-god mentality.
Do we want to encourage this sort of thing? I certainly don't.
If anything I think civilians need access to lethal force blade skills because
1.)it's not like they can call in officer backup or air support, nor do they
have an M-16 in the HMMV...
and
2.) they may very well encounter a knife-weilding assailant and (despite
what many "unarmed"martial arts proponents seem to think.. you can't
fight against the knife till you can fight WITH it. You know this..
people who don't play with knives (or gut people with them, or use them
for chores etc.) just don't *get* what a sharp edge will do.

I think making a judgement call on the maturity of a potential client/student
is responsible.. but making a badge or military ID neccessary is, to me, IMHO
simply unacceptable.
You are to be complimented however, on bring blade arts into your
emptyhand, that's something that's VERY VERY crucial to street survivability,
especially with the advent of popularized groundfighting.

Best of luck in your training,
Brian

OP
K

kenpohands

GREAT RESPONSE,
First off let me explain my definition of "Civillian" Someone who is not envolved with or part of, Law enforcement and or military duties and responsibility as a career or job. Responsibility defined as the obligation to get involved and protect others from harm. Mandatory involment with an attacker. As a "civillian" one has no obligation to get involved unless he wants to. If an attacker with a knife is around the corner, a cilvillian has no resposibility or will not be called upon to get involved. A law enforcement/Military person has to respond, therfore must be trained as such.
My civillian students and peer ar far more lethal than many LEO. I train those who have a reason and a purpose to learn, Are in the correct state of mind to learn to kill, have the responsibility to control the art within. You saw the movie, The hunted. The teacher never was in the Military nor had he never killed a human. He only taught those who did, and was the only one who could stop those who can. Interesting. I do not label anyone. I screen them.
I do agree with you philosophy as well.
Just my thoughts.
http://www.kenpokarambit.com

OP
S

stickaddict

FWIW The movie "The Hunted"... while a wonderful piece of cinema for those of
us who love bladework...had some serious divergence from reality (don't they all)
that's relevant to this discussion.
If you read the commentary by the fight choregraphers from the Sayoc folks they
point out that they had to *stretch out* the fight scenes, to make a good movie.
Now if you take a cold killer (a incredibly skilled killer) and put him up against the
inherently good (inherently hesitant) teacher.... and the fights are much much
more sudden (and ambushed based maybe).... (would TLJ's character have snuck
up on the villain in the first act and gutted him unawares? I don't think he's that
sort of person...)
Well what-if games are just that.. but it bears thinking on.
My money would be on the psycho frankly...

Also I would ask.. if someone hasn't done a 21"ft drill (and if I teach this to the
"need to know" cases) and carries a legal concealed handgun.. have I done my
trainee a disservice by not giving them a VISCERAL understanding of how close
a knife wielder can be and lethally prevent the proper deployment of a handgun
by a potential victim?
I can't think of a more effective way to demonstrate the limitations of a holstered
firearm than a bit of knife training and the "attacker with blade" role in a ForceOnForce
scenario.

Knife is a fascinating subject.. but it is not only the province of the "authorized
force employers" of society plus the avid hobbyists.

take care KH.

OP
K

kenpohands

stickaddict said:
Also I would ask.. if someone hasn't done a 21"ft drill (and if I teach this to the
"need to know" cases) and carries a legal concealed handgun.. have I done my
trainee a disservice by not giving them a VISCERAL understanding of how close
a knife wielder can be and lethally prevent the proper deployment of a handgun
by a potential victim?
I can't think of a more effective way to demonstrate the limitations of a holstered
firearm than a bit of knife training and the "attacker with blade" role in a ForceOnForce
scenario.

How do you run your 21 ft drills? I have seen many cool variations. Please elaborate
AC