Why Fight?

C

Cliarlaoch

Hey, all,

Just curious: Have you ever been in a real fight outside the dojang (or in it, you never know!), and what caused you to fight? Were you angry, scared, defending yourself?

Just curious.

--Cliarlaoch

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are a few of us that work in either security or law enforcement thats why theres so much talk of real combat training I think, I work in law enforcement and I hate to fight but unfotunatelly somtimes Im forced to.........................

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why fight? By that you mean real fighting, as in life and death, in clear and present dabger? Only to preserve life, of course.

Sparring, competitions etc, are not fighting, just sport.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the time, just doing my job, by defending others.

Some came to me looking for the fight. :(

And in most if not all of the multiple combatants I was afraid, it just was not the reason why I was fighting.

Usually, it was because they had refused to listen to warnings or request to leave. That put me then in-between a rock and a hard place.

Now this one time (* Pun intended *), the previous week a person was seriously hurt, neck brace, when they dove from the stage. We were under strict orders to not allow anymore stage diving. We were all lined leg to leg and arm to arm, then some brainiac told every one to lock our arms together to create a stronger wall. Well some bright boys in the pit, then took it upon themselves to knee the security. I was the only weird one wearing a cup. I still got a knee to the groin. After the first one, I was pissed and then after the second one, I told the guys to close in behind me. I jumped into the Pit. I started hitting, kicking, throwing, stomping, banging head together. Soon there the band stopped and because everyone was watching me in the PIT take out my frustration. I then yelled to everyone, the next person who attempts to stage dive faces me. The next person that bumps into a security guard faces me. Anyone doubt I can take them. (* Note this was really stupid they could have all jumped me at once. *) I then told them to go back to having fun and not being totally stupid. If I had not been so pissed and so brutal I think some might have jumped me. This is the only time I truly remember being pissed or angry.

The rest of the concert went without event and the Pit was still the pit only it now had boundaries and they staid in them. :)

:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I fight for self-defense, and there've been times where they tried to attack my family members and I had to fight. In those fights, I was scared, not just for myself, but scared that others will get hurt as well.

Unfortunately, I've also been in my share of fights over stupid things, and getting angry over nothing in my younger days. There, I wasn't really scared. At that time, I viewed it like a normal fight that gets the adrenaline running and you get pumped over. I don't fight having those hormones controlling me now, I use them to aid me. That testosterone and adrenaline will make you perform better physically, but what about mentally? You need both, and from my experience, those fights, I would start off controlled, then go all crazy, punching, kicking, kneeing, throwing the guy on the ground, etc. That was probably due to my lack of experience in stressful situations (I was a teen way back then too, so give me a break) and I would just be an animal, no better than a monkey in the zoo.

OP
G

GouRonin

I came up fighting for sport. Boxing is like that. You train for actual use. The transition to other arts was kinda tough. All this training to not use it. Seems like a waste at times.

OP
Y

yilisifu

Having been in law enforcement on and off for many years, I have been in numerous fights, I am sorry to say. I have also had a few scuffles which were for self-defense and not connected with my position as a peace officer.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

I believe everyone has got into a dispute and fought before. Whether ur a geek or fottball player. the way it is in high school is we need to take care of people tryin to dog us. if we put up with it then we'll be a victim of a bully. then more comes. thats why theres no high school bully like on tv because everyone fights.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

MTP

You seem a little inexperienced to be making such blanket statements using the word "everybody." There are a lot of people out there who have never been in a fight.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

There probably are. And I myslef avoid fights whenever possible. But in this world. Fighting atleast once is inevitable

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
There probably are. And I myslef avoid fights whenever possible. But in this world. Fighting atleast once is inevitable

Maybe in your own litte world.

I went to college with lots of young adults who ahd never been in a fight even on the playground in elementary school. I have worked / taught at a Univeristy and also in the Engineering field and hate meet more like 98 % of the people who have never been attacked or been in a fight.

They all look at me lke a freak if I get a black eye or a bruise from training.

So, just remember some people may not have had the benefit or risk of the situations your life has provided to you.

:asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I've been in a few schoolyard scraps when I was younger. Actually, I started a couple of them. But ever since I've been out of junior high, I've been able to talk my way out of every situation that could've ended with violence- which hasn't been very often. Now that I'm in college, it's really not much of a concern.

I think plenty of people manage to make it through their whole lives without ever being in a fight.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cliarlaoch
Hey, all,

Just curious: Have you ever been in a real fight outside the dojang (or in it, you never know!), and what caused you to fight? Were you angry, scared, defending yourself?

Just curious.

--Cliarlaoch
Ive been in lots of fights.
for lots of reasons some are rather stooped
When i kick back & think about them others were for respect
When U live in a Ruff Neighborhood if u don't stand up for your self U become a Mark,an easy target.

Ive had less fights as as an adult in the streets so to speak
Now i prefer The Ring/mats & soforth.

OP
Q

Quick Sand

What's wrong with being a "goody2shoes", as you put it???

I've never been in a fight and I made it completely though junior high and high school and more. I think a lot of it is my personality. I'm pretty laid back and I don't get in people faces or in their business generally. That doesn't mean that people didn't pick on me sometimes or whatever, I dealt with stuff but never got in a fight.

I've trained in martial arts for a total of 3 years, at two different time periods and I still never plan to get into a fight. Yes, I feel good knowing some self defense and knowing how to fight if I absolutely have to, but I still don't plan to ever get in a fight. I think there are usually ways to avoid fighting.

I'm actually quite happy that I've never been in a fight, even if it does make me a "goody2shoes."

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I've been in far too many fights, sadly, and more than one of them started because I lost my temper with some guy who'd been shooting his mouth off. Understand, in High School, I was the geek who got verbally abused for years on end. Inevitably, it turned ugly. I admit I don't like the fact that it turned into a brawl that I caused on more than one occasion (since that goes against my own beliefs), but that's the way my temper was (and still is, sometimes). But I haven't been in a fight for almost 3 years now. Part of that would be that university is less likely to have the sort of clique-ishness that HS does, and more likely to have a stronger bond of respect between students at University.

The reason I asked was out of curiosity. I've been in some really dangerous fights before. I haven't started all of 'em. In fact, some of them were nasty because people were deliberately trying to hurt me. People have attacked me in a deliberate attempt to rough me up or seriously injure me. I fought back, and then I feel justified in doing so. Like MartialArtist, I don't like losing control over myself in a fight. But I do sometimes, and I don't like it. So I wanted to ask ya'll about it to see what usually happens to others in a fight. And since I think I've moved beyond the pure rage period of teenage days, I'm curious about where I can and should try and go from here in my training, and in reacting to real situations.

:p Maybe start a fight club? (yeah, right!)

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
I came up fighting for sport. Boxing is like that. You train for actual use. The transition to other arts was kinda tough. All this training to not use it. Seems like a waste at times.

God forbid if you were ever put incharge of our nuclear forces....:D "....hmmmm, all these nukes just waiting to be decommissioned....What a waste!..." LOL

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
God forbid if you were ever put incharge of our nuclear forces....:D "....hmmmm, all these nukes just waiting to be decommissioned....What a waste!..." LOL

Not a waste at all. See, I would take them and use them in nuclear reactors and other secondary uses. So at least we would still be using them. Most people have them sit around as deterrence.

Latest Discussions